• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid slide out qwerty. Opinions

It was intended as a joke - note the iPad reference.

If it went over your head, my apologies - but no reason for a personal attack.

haha well I'll just say that sometimes you can't really tell when someone's joking over the internet... and there really are some morons in this world who would post something like that and be completely serious :)

Upvote 0
Overall thoughts:

Physical keyboard...love it when I need it or want more landscape real estate, which isn't all that often. I'm about as fast on physical as virtual, but find it more accurate for some things, and find the dpad useful for surfing.

swype: I loved it in principal, but found that even a few misinterpreted words actually made me slower than stock virtual because it was difficult to back up and I still had to look at the keyboard while typing. So my potential wpm was much higher, but my actual wpm wasn't. I'm currently not using it and not missing it as much as I thought I would.

stock virtual: didn't find haptic feedback too helpful as it only reinforces the tactile feedback you already get from touching the surface. It may have actually slowed me down because I was subconsciously waiting for each haptic register to end before hitting the next key.

Voice entry: seems to work very well until I want to show it off. =p Unfortunately I feel self-conscious talking to my phone, even when alone. I have the same problem with voice dictation software.

Upvote 0
I am coming from the HTC Touch Pro 2, that keyboard was the sh*t, the phone was not. I'm not so impressed by the physical keyboard on the Droid, but more impressed with the virtual keyboard on the Droid. But the Droid kicks the TP2 out of the park, so I can live with a moderate keyboard on the Droid; the rest of the phone makes up for it.

Upvote 0
My biggest issue with the physical keyboard is that I often hit enter during text messages when trying to hit backspace and I send half texts and look like an idiot lol. I also wish the top row was farther from the screen, but I like the physical and virtual

It took me so long to stop myself from doing that. I would get so many "WTF" texts back lol...

Upvote 0
I understand the complaints about the keyboard, particularly if someone formerly had a Blackberry. But having used an ATT Tilt for a couple of years, I was used to the QWERTY layout. I really like the option to slide out the keyboard if I have a lot of typing to do. The feel is fine and I like having a view of the whole screen while I am typing. The thinness of the device is an acceptable trade off for keys that are bumping. My fingers are too stubby to do anything but type with my thumbnails anyways - already did that with the TILT.

Upvote 0
The only thing I don't like about it is my droid has a tiny bit of give between the 2 slides. My first droid was amazing (only had for a month) but i had to trade it in due to dust in the screen. Second droid was SUPER LOOSE. Had to trade that in (after a little struggle) for a 3rd. Still got my 3rd droid, not as loose as second one, but still a tiny bit noticeable :(. My sister just got a droid yesterday (so now i believe it when people say girls have droids) and hers is like super sturdy and just perfect. No wobble or give.
That is the only thing I don't like about the physical keyboard.

Now about swype, I LOVED IT. However, it needs some updates. There were some issues with it I thought needed to be fixed. I can't think of them now which is an absolute bummer cuz I could have emailed suggestions to the swype people or something. Anyway I ended up switching back to the original android keyboard because every now and then the whole swype keyboard would just blink when i tried to type with it and it wouldnt register anything. I would come back to it later and it would be fixed but it happened too many times and it became inconvenient.

Upvote 0
I do NOT have big hands or fingers. Compared to most guys I know, mine are fairly small. I have not been able to successfully thumb-type with the physical keyboard yet. I either hit the wrong key or I hit 3 or 4 at once. If I use just one finger, my odds improve, and if I use my fingernail or thumbnail, it really improves. But, I bite my nails so that's not a great solution for me :p

Touchscreen keyboard in portrait mode is about the same. I seem to use just one thumb or one finger when using it. I seldom use the touchscreen in landscape mode because of how much screen it eats up - but it looks like there might be better spacing for my fingers.

Question - how many people that replied to this did so FROM their droid and the physical keyboard?
Me? no - used PC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones