• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Droid X Car Mount rant

Cool. Thanks for replying. I'm assuming when you rotate it to landscape that it will stay in that position unless you manually switch it(for example, if you take a sharp turn, the mount doesn't spin around on its own).
No problem. There's a little ring on the back that you tighten to whatever you like; just tight enough to allow rotation with a little force or tight enough to lock it in. I keep it tight enough that I can rotate it without it flopping around on its own. Check out the pic to see what I mean:

tOikJ.jpg

Upvote 0
My mount doesn't wobble even a little bit...not at all. Gotta tighten everything down tight. OTOH, I do see that it likes to shift left and right a little (but only when I push down on it) but I found this is because it has an extra insert that allows you to use the Droid X in the mount with a case. The insert just sits in there so it can move a little bit, making the phone feel like it is not all the way down. Other than this little nag (which is actually a plus compared to the Droid mount), the thing works almost perfect for me.

The only real complaint I have is that the main screen goes blank with just my background for a a few seconds after I remove it from the mount and I don't know why. Does anyone else have this happen to them.

Upvote 0
For those of you that say the mount is wobbly, Did you use the lock down lever on the suction cup and tighten the wingnut on the arm? I drive a pickup and around here we do not have the best roads but I never noticed a single wobble nor do I think it will jump off the square pegs that it is mounted to the arm with.
+1
I drive a Chevy Tahoe and have never had an issue with wobbling.
I pull a fishing boat as well as go offroad...
I am very happy with the X cardock, keeps my X very steady.
I like on the back of the cradle; the section that holds the power cord and prevents it from accidentally coming unplugged from the back of cradle.

Upvote 0
No problem. There's a little ring on the back that you tighten to whatever you like; just tight enough to allow rotation with a little force or tight enough to lock it in. I keep it tight enough that I can rotate it without it flopping around on its own. Check out the pic to see what I mean:

tOikJ.jpg
Awesome.you deliver on the info necessary to make an informed decision. Arkon it is

Upvote 0
Does anyone know of a car mount that will work with a case? I bought the verizon one today but had to return it. Dang I was disapointed thanks
From this thread, works with a case:
You guys might want to take a look at the Mega Grip mount from Arkon. Here's the website:

Arkon Mega Grip Smartphone Mount for Motorola Droid X, Droid, and Devour

Vid:
YouTube - Motorola Droid X Mount | Arkon Mega Grip Car Mounts and Holder for Droid X

You can pop this on your windshield, dash, console, vent, whatever and plug a car micro usb charger. It's way cheaper than the official dock and you can use it with different phones. I've used the windshield suction one and it's solid, no wobble, but I prefer the vent mount (out of the way and no tickets). They got a bike mount also, since I've seen a few posts mention it.

Upvote 0
LOL... that is an Invisible Shield that had been through hell! I did everything I could to scratch it with keys and the like, but I discovered would damage it was scrubbing the screen on an oak tree with hard presure. Your seeing the result. It was replaced for free, so not really a huge deal, those things are pretty amazing. When it was peeled off there is absolutely not one mark on the actual phone.

Upvote 0
I started out not understanding this rant, but after some time with my mount, removing it, changing things, trying the sticky pad on my dash, I have noticed that the slots to attach the mount to the arm do eventually start to loosen, and this causes the whole mount portion to wobble a tiny bit (though not a bobble head type of wobble, more like it just moves a bit when mounting or removing the phone). I added some pieces of paper back there to try and make it snug and that worked pretty well, but I might try the electrical tape idea, seems like that would work better. This is not in reference to the mounting arm coming down ont he phone, this is the connection between the mount and the arm, which is not secured in ANY way. Other than this little nitpick (for me) the mount has been great. The mounting disc, however, does not like the hot sun that's for sure.

Upvote 0
I bought a spiderpodium Breffo - Consumer Electronics Accessories it is much more flexible and you can put your phone pretty much anywhere - maybe not for everyone but I love I can move it car to car and stick it in my pocket with no marks or mess in my car.

I ordered a pair. Will review, but it does look exactly like what I want. Also the charger cable hole might be just right for a car / media dock magnet.

Upvote 0
I bought a spiderpodium Breffo - Consumer Electronics Accessories it is much more flexible and you can put your phone pretty much anywhere - maybe not for everyone but I love I can move it car to car and stick it in my pocket with no marks or mess in my car.

I ordered a pair. Will review, but it does look exactly like what I want. Also the charger cable hole might be just right for a car / media dock magnet.

My son uses his in his car and it is a perfect fit. Gets nice cool air from the AC and that is important in AZ.

Mine I have used all over the dash and have ended up also mounting it over the front vents. Works just fine. Magnets work fine in the hole just as I suspected.

The mount looks fine and is unobtrusive.

Will wait on the one that all of us are waiting to view and review.

Al

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones