• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Droid X Car Mount rant

For those of you that say the mount is wobbly, Did you use the lock down lever on the suction cup and tighten the wingnut on the arm? I drive a pickup and around here we do not have the best roads but I never noticed a single wobble nor do I think it will jump off the square pegs that it is mounted to the arm with.

Upvote 0
If you have never downloaded Google Earth, or you did on your Droid1, but dumped it because it kept freezing, now is the time to take another look. The faster processor and higher ram make it run much smoother. I have the car dock, and used Google Earth yesterday for 2 hours straight with no problem.

Upvote 0
I have a 93 YJ Jeep Wrangler and was very skeptical of trying out my car mount since I still have the bumpy as you know what leaf spring suspension in the front. So far so good!!! Which is amazing to say against the other guys that are having "wobbling" issues. Yes, tighten down the the arm and the nut around the pivot point. But here is what no one is talking about, there's an insert that comes installed in the mount that you can remove if you have a case on your X. Maybe for some reason theirs didn't come with that insert, it would definitely not be as secured and indeed would wobble wobble shake it shake it!! But with that in place and the two points tightened and the top arm (cushioned) snapped down on top, it's as snug as a bug in a rug. I don't care how smooth a road is, my Jeep will punish you if you dare try and bring a cup a coffee along for the ride.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if the little prong that is on the inside of the cradle, along the back right edge, can be dremeled out? My DX doesn't fit inside with its case on (Yes, i have the inner part removed).

I didn't know if it had some significant purpose (I.e. activating the car dock mode).

Its very annoying to have to remove my case to put it in the vehicle mount.

Upvote 0
Has anyone try running Maps Navigation while the DroidX is docked in the car mount and connected to car charger?

Apparently, my phone stops charging once its in navigation mode. Then when I get to my destination, it starts charging again. I drove 2 hours today, and found my phone at 50% battery when I arrived. What's the point of plugging it in if it doesn't charge while the phone is running Maps?

i noticed that today. i just thought there is a setting to charge while on NAV?

it doesnt make sense to have the NAV function & stop charging

Upvote 0
it doesnt make sense to have the NAV function & stop charging

I dunno about that! To me it makes a lot of sense to not do both.

Think of it this way... charging the phone generates heat inside the case or more specifically the battery (electricity tends to do that). Excessive heat shortens the life of the battery. Running the Nav also generates a lot of heat. Running them both together could make it quite hot inside the case of the phone... thereby killing the battery.

Here's an old wiki that likely explains it better than I could:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htmhttp://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Cell-Phone-Battery-Last-Longer

Upvote 0
I sure hope that thing is stable cuz I was gonna try it out on my bike. lol

Omg this made me laugh. I know you're probably talking about a motorcycle, but all I could picture is someone riding around on a mountain bike or something with the car mount rigged up to the handlebars lmfaoooooooo!

God that's a hilarious mental image. Thanks!

Upvote 0
...but all I could picture is someone riding around on a mountain bike or something with the car mount rigged up to the handlebars lmfaoooooooo!

3695618703_ea260819bb.jpg

Upvote 0
ok..little confuse here.

i took my motorola car mount inside the house & plug in using the original wall charger & guess what, its charging.

my usb car charger output is rated = 5.0 volt 400 ma max.
the wall charger is rated = 850 ma. the samsung @ 700ma also worked.

could this be the difference?

i was looking at this:
Amazon.com: 4-Port USB Car Charger - Quad Auto Power - Ideal for iPod, iPhone, GPS, Cell Phones, and More: Electronics

any recommendation for a more powerful auto usb charger?

Upvote 0
Has anyone try running Maps Navigation while the DroidX is docked in the car mount and connected to car charger?

Apparently, my phone stops charging once its in navigation mode. Then when I get to my destination, it starts charging again. I drove 2 hours today, and found my phone at 50% battery when I arrived. What's the point of plugging it in if it doesn't charge while the phone is running Maps?

I read this post at work and tried it out on the way home. And yes it charged, both in just google maps, and while actually navigating. I used it the whole way home and charged from about 50% to 70% in the 25 minute drive to my house.

Have you updated yet? My only guess is that it might be one of the things they fixed in the .610 (I think that's the correct number lol) update. If you haven't updated yet, try that. If you have, call verizon or stop by your local store because my phone charges while navigating and you might have a faulty phone.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
The only other thing I can think of is if the charger is not seated right on one end or the other. My bberry was pretty fickle about waht charging cords would work with it. Even with this car mount I had to make it was well seated in the back of the dock or eles it would go in and out.

After I got everything in just right I have not had a problem since.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones