• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X keyboard on Eris

Upvote 0
Black will work for a non-rooted phone. Just download the file on XDA to your SD card.

Did that, but all I get is "Download unsuccessful" No Application can be found to open this file.

When trying to install from ASTRO, it starts the installation process then says "Application not installed"

I'll download again and give it another try. I have tryed to have this pushed like stated above, however, All I get is a "Read Only" error. This comes up even if I uninstall the previous Multi-touch key board.

Anythoughts?

Upvote 0
Did that, but all I get is "Download unsuccessful" No Application can be found to open this file.

When trying to install from ASTRO, it starts the installation process then says "Application not installed"

I'll download again and give it another try. I have tryed to have this pushed like stated above, however, All I get is a "Read Only" error. This comes up even if I uninstall the previous Multi-touch key board.

Anythoughts?

I just mounted my phone to my PC via USB and downloaded to the root file in the SD card. Opened through Astro and installed.

Upvote 0
I just mounted my phone to my PC via USB and downloaded to the root file in the SD card. Opened through Astro and installed.

Just tried that as well, can't seem to get the black version to install. Just received the same error "Application not installed" and that is it. I have uninstalled the plain multi touch keyboard. I'm fine with the X Multi-Touch keyboard, but just thought the black would look a little more slick.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Just tried that as well, can't seem to get the black version to install. Just received the same error "Application not installed" and that is it. I have uninstalled the plain multi touch keyboard. I'm fine with the X Multi-Touch keyboard, but just thought the black would look a little more slick.

Thanks

Got a black version to finally work. Ended up having to use the following link for download

DroidXIME-xtrROM.apk - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Thanks for everyone's help. Looks and works perfect.

Reactions: Dabluest
Upvote 0
I have searched everywhere and tried the above links ^

I cannot seem to get this to work. How do I push to system/apps? I try copying pasting via both estrong or ASTRO and they fail both times.

(Using WhiteWidow) thanks

I was finally able to get it to work by going to the linked address from my phone. Once the download was complete, I clicked on the file for install. When using the file from 4shared.com, it finally came up with those magic words "Application Installed". I actually had the original white version installed and when installing the black version it warned me that I was overwriting the current version of my Multi-Touch Keyboard. Very Nice.

In order to push items you need to run it using a cmd prompt and adb. This is after you have downloaded and installed Android SDK from the following link Android SDK | Android Developers

I personally never was able to get the keyboard to install using the push method. Finally was able to install both versions by simply downloading the files using my phones browser.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0
Sorry sir, but that has already been tried numerous times. Thanks though!

Alright, so I finally learned how to push and got this:
C:\Users\*******\Documents\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push LatinIME.apk
/system/app
1658 KB/s (3302851 bytes in 1.945s)

it didn't work after a reboot.. so then, I went and tried:
/system/apps
1085 KB/s (3302851 bytes in 2.972s)

(added an s, changing the directory to 'apps' rather than app, as I'd read a few posts saying apps instead)

No luck still.. everything remains completely the way it was before I pushed the file. I'm on WhiteWidow and have been trying everything to get this keyboard to work.. anyone got any ideas?

Upvote 0
Sorry sir, but that has already been tried numerous times. Thanks though!

Alright, so I finally learned how to push and got this:
/system/app
1658 KB/s (3302851 bytes in 1.945s)

it didn't work after a reboot.. so then, I went and tried:
/system/apps
1085 KB/s (3302851 bytes in 2.972s)

(added an s, changing the directory to 'apps' rather than app, as I'd read a few posts saying apps instead)

No luck still.. everything remains completely the way it was before I pushed the file. I'm on WhiteWidow and have been trying everything to get this keyboard to work.. anyone got any ideas?
did you go into your messaging app and then long press the text field and select Multi touch keyboard?

Upvote 0
try going to:
settings-->language & keyboard

check and see if Multi-touch keyboard is listed... if not then something went wrong pushing it to your phone. if thats the case then try installing using Astro:

Download it to ur computer, unzip if necessary, plug in ur phone to ur computer, select Disk drive on ur phone, drag the apk to ur phone, find the apk on ur phone using astro, then install...

Upvote 0
I'm on KaosFroyo, I tried installing from astro which was successful, then checking multi touch keyboard in settings. I long press, and I see multi touch keyboard, but it doesn't open. It leaves the text box at the bottom of the screen and doesn't com up.

So I read on here that on vanilla rom's you have to replace LatinIME, so I pushed it to system app successfully and even deleted a few other things mentioned, no dice.

What gives?

EDIT: Guess it doesn't work with Froyo...anyone else have any luck?

Upvote 0
I'm on KaosFroyo, I tried installing from astro which was successful, then checking multi touch keyboard in settings. I long press, and I see multi touch keyboard, but it doesn't open. It leaves the text box at the bottom of the screen and doesn't com up.

So I read on here that on vanilla rom's you have to replace LatinIME, so I pushed it to system app successfully and even deleted a few other things mentioned, no dice.

What gives?

EDIT: Guess it doesn't work with Froyo...anyone else have any luck?

I'm on KaosFroyo v30 and I get the same thing. Multi-touch keyboard is an option, but when I choose it, nothing comes up. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones