• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dust: Sending my phone to HTC.. will update.

Still waiting :( lol

Wow, that's a pretty long time. It was returned to HTC? Have they updated you on the status of the phone? Did you track shipment and confirm receipt and when to them?

Good thread that has interest to see how they handle the issue. I have no problem with dust and can tell you I've had my phone in places I was sure would result in dust but I'm lucky I suppose.

Good luck, hope the seal the baby up good ;)

Keep us informed.

Happy Trails!

:cool:

Upvote 0
Wow, that's a pretty long time. It was returned to HTC? Have they updated you on the status of the phone? Did you track shipment and confirm receipt and when to them?

Good thread that has interest to see how they handle the issue. I have no problem with dust and can tell you I've had my phone in places I was sure would result in dust but I'm lucky I suppose.

Good luck, hope the seal the baby up good ;)

Keep us informed.

Happy Trails!

Yeah a lot of people with this issue were hesitant to send it in, as I was myself. It will be nice for those who are considering to have a thread with turnaround times as well as results.

I had insurance on the item, and it arrived last wednesday i think.. so it hasn't been that long. I spoke with HTC yesterday to check the status and the lady informed me that they had received the device, and were working on it. She estimated it should ship out sometime this week. I've just been stuck using my blackberry and its been like going from a car to a bike. haha

Once I receive the device back I will edit my original post with specific dates and times for everyone so we know how fast we can expect devices to be returned. And hopefully no updates will inform that the dust is back ::fingers crossed::

Upvote 0
Sent mine in to HTC back in March. Sent it out on a Friday and received it back the following Thursday. Less than a week turnaround time. There was a speck or two of dust I noticed upon return when I looked REALLY hard under bright light , but other than that they managed to clean all the dust out and so far none has returned. I was told they replaced the faceplate and seals around the screen. I must say it was worth the couple of dollars it cost me to ship it to HTC and the week I spent hating my old razor!! I would reccomend anyone who has the horrible dust issue to send it back to HTC. I was told 2-3 weeks for a turnaround time and I had mine back within a week. Well worth the wait time to get that annoying dust problem taken care of.

Upvote 0
I previously replied to a similar posting a few weeks ago with an HTC equipment reply to my inquiry on the Dust issue...

"Dear Russell,

We understand the importance of having all the information on our phones. We have resolved the dust under the screen issue on the Sprint Hero. However, if you purchase a Sprint Hero and there becomes dust under the screen, then this phone did not receive the fix and you will have to contact the Sprint Repair department (or visit a Sprint Service & Repair Center) so the fix can be applied to the phone.

Thank you for contacting
HTC. In order to help improve our service, we would like to invite you to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey located at HTC Online Survey."
Issue Date & Time2010/03/28 07:47

I believe them simply because I spoke to both an agent and then received this reply from a separate inquiry (covering my bases). So if you were like me when I was wondering if the Hero was worth my time, HTC claims that you will not purchase a Dust Collector from now on...
Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Sent mine in to HTC back in March. Sent it out on a Friday and received it back the following Thursday. Less than a week turnaround time. There was a speck or two of dust I noticed upon return when I looked REALLY hard under bright light , but other than that they managed to clean all the dust out and so far none has returned. I was told they replaced the faceplate and seals around the screen. I must say it was worth the couple of dollars it cost me to ship it to HTC and the week I spent hating my old razor!! I would reccomend anyone who has the horrible dust issue to send it back to HTC. I was told 2-3 weeks for a turnaround time and I had mine back within a week. Well worth the wait time to get that annoying dust problem taken care of.

Cool, it's good to know that they will staisfy the customer. I mean after all - we are ALWAYS right?\!!! Right?

I don't have the dust issue, but it's good to know I can get MY phone fixed and returned to me rather than a refurbished unit. Just a preference thing...
Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
The build quality of HTC devices are terrible. Virtually EVERY Hero has a dead pixel or two (go to a black screen, count the green dots)...or dust under the screen. Shoot, even the Nexus one has build quality issues. I'd be more than happy to pay an additional $50 for a phone that had better build quality.

I ordered my hero the day telesales made them available. Had it Oct 9. I've dropped it once, and no dead/stuck pixels.

I'm fairly happy with my Hero (sine Nov), but the dust issue is immensely irritating. I have an iPod touch. It's in an Incase protective cover, with no screen protection. I carry it around like that constantly, and all it ever needs is a quick wipe down.

It took about 6 months, but I finally got dust under my screen. I had a rubber sleeve around the phone, and I took it off during a business trip, and the dust magically appeared. Oh well. Not bad enough to cause issues with the phone yet, even in sunlight.

But my coworker has an iPhone 3Gs, and he has dust under his screen. Apple products are not immune to dust issues, either.

Upvote 0
Finally! My hero arrived back from HTC this morning. Haven't had a chance to scope it out yet, but its here. That puts turn around at about 2 weeks and 1 day. Not too bad. I will letcha guys know how the unboxing goes later on. Im scared to look haha

Wow. I bought mine at Best Buy and after the phone call I had because I pay for their Black Tie Protection was told turn around time was 3 - 5 days because they expedite the shipping. They told me I would get a "loaner" Hero until mine comes back. I have had mine for a couple months and have not gotten the dust as of yet. Of course I know it is the inevitable.

Upvote 0
No not really, you may have a newer version that the issue has been resolved on, I think this issue was for the first models made, from what I have read, I have a neighbor that bough one about 3 months ago and it is still clean as a whistle

Of course I know it is the inevitable.

Upvote 0
Well overall after very careful inspection I found one slightly noticable spec only when the phone is off under sunlight, and a bit on white screens. There are a few tiny tiny particles near the right left corner which I had to really tilt and turn the phone to find in direct sunlight as well. For anyone not familiar this was AFTER receiving it from repair.

Much better then when I sent it, so I guess I'll just have to write this issue off. EVO comes out soon anyway right? :D

Upvote 0
Well overall after very careful inspection I found one slightly noticable spec only when the phone is off under sunlight, and a bit on white screens. There are a few tiny tiny particles near the right left corner which I had to really tilt and turn the phone to find in direct sunlight as well. For anyone not familiar this was AFTER receiving it from repair.

Much better then when I sent it, so I guess I'll just have to write this issue off. EVO comes out soon anyway right? :D

Yeah man, this is how I was. I noticed one or two very tiny specs of dust that took me about 5 minutes of inspecting the phone to even find, once I got mine back from HTC. So far my phone hasn't become the dust vaccum it was before, and as long as it stays that way I'll be happy.

Upvote 0
Its funny to see how many dust threads get started until people understand its not isolated. The issue is simple, really: HTC just makes crappy hardware.

I started a dust thread, and I got completely mocked. The Nexus one has hardware issues, and the EVO will too. I cant wait till the iPhone hits CDMA or Sprint rolls some new BB's out.

Upvote 0
Its funny to see how many dust threads get started until people understand its not isolated. The issue is simple, really: HTC just makes crappy hardware.

I started a dust thread, and I got completely mocked. The Nexus one has hardware issues, and the EVO will too. I cant wait till the iPhone hits CDMA or Sprint rolls some new BB's out.

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply here but I started this for one reason, to let people know of the HTC fix, because they DO claim to have one. I wanted to let people know that are debating sending it in, because 3 weeks is a long time without the phone. I wanted to have a thread to update concerning future issues and whether or not they occur. Seems to me if I was on the edge debating sending my phone to HTC, debating whether or not it was worth it, a testimonial might teeter my decision. Just sayin.. If the issue IS in fact fixed, then the problem sure is isolated. To all the phones manufactured before the fix. Manufacturing defect.

Reactions: Heaterz16
Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you are trying to imply here but I started this for one reason, to let people know of the HTC fix, because they DO claim to have one. I wanted to let people know that are debating sending it in, because 3 weeks is a long time without the phone. I wanted to have a thread to update concerning future issues and whether or not they occur. Seems to me if I was on the edge debating sending my phone to HTC, debating whether or not it was worth it, a testimonial might teeter my decision. Just sayin.. If the issue IS in fact fixed, then the problem sure is isolated. To all the phones manufactured before the fix. Manufacturing defect.

I am glad you shared your experience with the community! I guess if mine gets bad enough, I might do the same thing now.

Upvote 0
"Its funny to see how many dust threads get started until people understand its not isolated. The issue is simple, really: HTC just makes crappy hardware.

I started a dust thread, and I got completely mocked. The Nexus one has hardware issues, and the EVO will too. I cant wait till the iPhone hits CDMA or Sprint rolls some new BB's out."

The iphone can suck my dic*

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones