• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Epic 4g - Music/Videos/Ringtones and Taking Pictures/Videos Unavailable

SntaCruz83

Sep 1, 2010
Epic 4G - Stock Froyo EC05

I'm trying to determine if I'm having an issue with my SD Card (that came with the phone) or if it's a problem with my phone. I have yet to determine what actions cause the SD card's contents to become inaccessible so that it can be repeatable, but it seems like any and all of the fixes I've attempted don't prevent my problem from eventually reoccurring.

I use custom ringtones for my email notifications, contact ringtones, and sms notifications. Usually I realize something is wrong when one of the following occurs:

- I have a missed call and didn't hear a ringtone at all.
- Email has arrived but there was no notification.
- I try to play or record a video and get the pop up screen that playback failed, or recording failed (right away...it doesn't record for a couple seconds at all.)

The easiest fix has been to just turn off and on the phone and it's back to normal for a while, but this really isn't a fix. I've also done 3 hard resets, tried both doing the hard reset via phone's menu and the menu that is accessed by holding the power, camera, volume button when booting up and cleared all appropriate caches. I've formatted the SD card (both from the phone and from the PC), done CHKDSK on it for any errors, and it always comes out clean.

Another "fix" i've found is to access the SD card menu under settings and unmount and mount the SD card and it works again.

I don't have anymore MicroSD cards to compare against and it's too intermittent to bring in to Sprint to have them fix/repair. I'm really not sure what else to do.

I thought I should add that it's also clear that even the phone acts as though the data on the phone is inaccessible, it's not the same as when you eject the SD card.

When you unmount the SD card, all the ringtones/notifications go back to their default tones, but when my issues comes up, there is simply no sound.

Just thought I'd make note of that for diagnostic purposes.

***Additional Notes:
So the SD card issue I'm having has come back, but it may not be as clear cut as I had previously thought. Right now when I try and play a video i get the notification saying, "Sorry, this video cannot be played." When I try and record a video i get the notification saying, "Recording failed." I CAN however take pictures and they are saved to the SD Card fine. I also took a picture, edited it PicSayPro and saved a new file to the SD card just fine. I then called myself from a land line and my custom ringtones are working fine.

So perhaps it's more of a degenerative issue in which it gets worse and worse? I'm really not sure how else to go about diagnosing this.

Upvote 0
Have you tried removing the SD card and putting it back in place and confirming that everything is clean and relatively dust free?

Thanks for the response. I went ahead and tried cleaning out the MicroSD slot and within 36 hours the problem returned. I really don't know what to make of it. :/ I suppose the Sprint Service center may be in my future.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem, did you get it resolved? I've done the soft reset, restoring back to factory settings and the removal of the SD card. They all work temporarily but then I'm back to square one a few hours/days later. It only happens w/ the custom ringtones, all the pre-loaded stocked version don't have this problem.

Upvote 0
I posted in an older thread, before I saw this one.

I am having the exact same issue as you. I was convinced it was SD card data, too. Once or twice a day, my custom ringtones I have stored on my SD card would stop working. Sure enough, if I tried to play those MP3 ringtones on the Music Player, I would get "Music Player does not support this type of file" or some such error. A phone reboot or SD card remount would fix the problem until the next day or so.

Now, I've only had this phone for about 3 weeks now so I'm still running stock firmware... haven't gotten up the nerve to root it yet. I did early on get a "SD card corrupted" message asking to format the card, but a reboot fixed that problem too. This past weekend I was hoping maybe formatting the card would fix the problem, but the issue persists.

However, I just experienced this issue moments ago... when trying to view a YouTube video. I checked my MP3s and they were again 'unplayable' in the music player. After a power cycle, I'm able to view the YouTube video without an issue. Are we sure it is SD card related? Could it be something else? Do YouTube videos get cached to the SD card before they play? That might explain it...

From the previous thread I was reading, it doesn't seem to matter if you root... the problem will continue to happen.

EDIT: After reading about your inability to record or view videos, but success taking photos and managing files on the SD card, I'm starting to think it is sound related. However, stock ringtones and notification sounds work fine while the SD card files are in limbo, so who knows at this point...

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to think it must be related to a particular application on our phones. If it was an OS glitch I think there would be more people having similar issues. The symptoms seem too specific to be a hardware related problem with the SD card itself.

The idea that it's sound related and that the occurrences seem to be unpredictable has me thinking that it would be an application that has the ability to post notifications? I dunno...grasping at straws here...

Upvote 0
i think this is a problem with the current version of the OS. i have the same exact problem with this as well. I cannot play voicemails, music files, pandora will not work (it is installed to my sd card, but i have moved it off to test), and ringtones won't play if they are located on the SD card. I remember reading something online that said there was an issue with the SD card on this newest OS update, but i cannot find the link right now. Basically i've just been unmounting/remounting, powering off/on, or connect/disconnect the phone via USB. ANything to get the SD card to refresh itself

Upvote 0
This issue is KILLING me. Can't find an answer anywhere. I'm almost sure its not the sd card. As mentioned, I personally can still take and save pictures to sd card. But can't play videos... not from sd, not from youtube app, not on line. Can't take videos either. I really liked the sound issue, but I use stock ringtones, and my alerts all work. I've had this issue since day 1, meaning since the shipped rom. Not routed, and on ec05. Only cure for me is a soft reset. Its so frustrating.

Maybe it is related to a specific app? Should we start listing our apps and try to narrow it down?

Upvote 0
Guys, I'm thinking this isn't an Epic thing... it is an Android thing. I googled the music player error I get "Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file" and I've found folks having the exact same issue, except on the HTC Hero, Motorola Droid, and Captivate as well. I'm also noticing that all the other posts were all within the past couple months.

Anyway, I'll start with an App list, in case it is a semi-popular unruly app that is causing this problem (sorry for the longish list):

Abduction!
Amazon Kindle
Angry Birds
Angry Birds Rio
Angry Birds Seasons
AppBrain App Market
Appstore (Amazon)
ASTRO
Barcode Scanner
Bump
Chalkball
Digital Clock Widget
DirecTV
Dropbox
Earth (Google)
Facebook
Foursquare
Fruit Ninja
Galacto Golf
Geared
Goggles (Google)
Google Sky Map
Home Switcher
Last Call Widget
LauncherPro
LinkedIn
Mint.com
Pandora
Paper Toss
QuickPic
Radar Now
RuniK
ScoreCenter
Shazam
Slacker
Slice It!
The Weather Channel
Toddler Lock
Translate (Google)
Twitter
Widget Locker
Widgetsoid

Upvote 0
I'm only going to list the Apps I have that were in common with g33kdad's list.

Appstore (Amazon)
ASTRO
Barcode Scanner
Chalkball
Digital Clock Widget
Dropbox
Facebook
Goggles (Google)
LauncherPro
Pandora
Shazam
Translate (Google)
Twitter

Of all these Apps, based on the symptoms I'm inclined to think it's LauncherPro seeing as it has the most permissions and is always on and running.

For the sake of being thorough, I'll list all my Apps:
Code:
Adobe Flash 10.3
Amazon.com App
Amazon App Store
Astro File Manager
AutoBoy BlackBox
Barcode Scanner
Blogger
c:geo
CamScanner
Chalk Ball Lite
Chrome to Phone
Color Note
com.obenkyo
Compass
ConvertPad - Unit Converter
Docs (Google)
Documents to Go
DropBox
Dropwords
eBay
Evernote
Facebook
Flashlight
GasBuddy
Gmail
Goggles
Google Reader
Google Voice
Groupon
Hiragana Cards
InBrowser
Jenga
LauncherPro
LazyDroid Server
Lotto Results
Maps
Music (Google)
My Tracks
MyBackup Pro
Nesoid
Netflix
PdaNet
PdaNet
PicSay Pro
Qik Video
QuickPic - Love this App btw
Remote Desktop
Remote Web Desktop
Retro Clock Widget
Shazam
SNesoid
SoundHound
StopWatch & Timer
TeamViewer
Tip Calc
Translate (Google)
TubeMate
Twitter
Vaulty Free
Wake On Lan
Where's My Droid
Winamp
Wordfeud
Yelp

Upvote 0
I'm only going to list the Apps I have that were in common with g33kdad's list.

Appstore (Amazon)
ASTRO
Barcode Scanner
Chalkball
Digital Clock Widget
Dropbox
Facebook
Goggles (Google)
LauncherPro
Pandora
Shazam
Translate (Google)
Twitter

Of all these Apps, based on the symptoms I'm inclined to think it's LauncherPro seeing as it has the most permissions and is always on and running.

I just read on another forum that it is the Twitter for Android app that is causing the problem. I am going to uninstall and report back over the next few days. SntaCruz83, please do the same, if you can.

Reactions: jetsfandb
Upvote 0
I just read on another forum that it is the Twitter for Android app that is causing the problem. I am going to uninstall and report back over the next few days. SntaCruz83, please do the same, if you can.

When you got the error when trying to record a video, was it at max resolution?
Other users have reported the same issue with recording videos, and the problem is the SD card doesnt write fast enough for the higher resolution so it would constantly fail. Not sure if thats related at all to this but could be?

Have you tried to reformat your SD cards yet?

Upvote 0
When you got the error when trying to record a video, was it at max resolution?
Other users have reported the same issue with recording videos, and the problem is the SD card doesnt write fast enough for the higher resolution so it would constantly fail. Not sure if thats related at all to this but could be?

Have you tried to reformat your SD cards yet?

I'm able to record videos at max res after a reboot or SD card remount, so I don't think that's the issue.

I've also reformatted my SD card on both my PC and my phone with no luck.

However, since I uninstalled the Twitter For Android app, I have yet to experience the problem. Going on almost 12 hours now... *fingers crossed*

Upvote 0
I'm able to record videos at max res after a reboot or SD card remount, so I don't think that's the issue.

I've also reformatted my SD card on both my PC and my phone with no luck.

However, since I uninstalled the Twitter For Android app, I have yet to experience the problem. Going on almost 12 hours now... *fingers crossed*

I just hit the twelve hour mark myself after uninstalling the Twitter app and still haven't had the problem come up yet. I don't want to jinx it, but if it really was the Twitter app, I wonder if it can be solved with a simple re-installation or if it's just a legitimate bug with the software.

Upvote 0
I just hit the twelve hour mark myself after uninstalling the Twitter app and still haven't had the problem come up yet. I don't want to jinx it, but if it really was the Twitter app, I wonder if it can be solved with a simple re-installation or if it's just a legitimate bug with the software.

30 hours and counting, without a problem. I installed Seesmic and I actually like it better than the Twitter app (I think it might end up replacing the Facebook app for me, too!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones