• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I guarantee you that there will be tons of complaints regarding shitty battery life with the epic. That doesn't mean that the Epic has shitty battery life. It means some people use their phones more heavily and/or they haven't optimized their settings.

Yup, I'm thinking the first couple of days will be non-stop threads about terrible battery life. It will taper slightly in the coming weeks, then after a month or so, we will hear very little if anything negative about the battery life.

Upvote 0
I guarantee you that there will be tons of complaints regarding shitty battery life with the epic. That doesn't mean that the Epic has shitty battery life. It means some people use their phones more heavily and/or they haven't optimized their settings.

Yup, I'm thinking the first couple of days will be non-stop threads about terrible battery life. It will taper slightly in the coming weeks, then after a month or so, we will hear very little if anything negative about the battery life.

this phone has 21.3 days standby time...
does anyone else see how ridiculous that is? lol that's more than even the iPhone 4. depending on usage, i'm thinking most users are going to see good battery life for the most part.

Upvote 0
I have a samsung captivate and I will say Battery life is excellent on this phone vs any other phone i have used aside from a Droid X....

I dont think battery life is an issue

I have push email with 10+ accounts, I am constantly texting(Couple thousand a day),
taking self portraits, Surfing the web, social networking and it seems to hold up about 7 hours...

That is extremely heavy use, so im sure you wont dont or wont use your phone as heavily as i do...so you should be good to go :)

Upvote 0
Of any high end Android phone the Galaxy S will excel in battery life just because of the hardware it uses, 45nm Processor vs 65nm which is what's used in most other high end smartphones and a Super-Amoled screen drastically cut the battery consumption, I don't know what review(er) said it had bad battery life but if they believe that's the case they should pick up an Evo and I bet they'll eat their words.

Upvote 0
I have a samsung captivate and I will say Battery life is excellent on this phone vs any other phone i have used aside from a Droid X....

I dont think battery life is an issue

I have push email with 10+ accounts, I am constantly texting(Couple thousand a day),
taking self portraits, Surfing the web, social networking and it seems to hold up about 7 hours...

That is extremely heavy use, so im sure you wont dont or wont use your phone as heavily as i do...so you should be good to go :)

I second that, a couple thousand a day, thats impressive! I only text like 3000/month! That's 83 texts an hour for 24 hrs every day/month! haha (On a side note, I see you're from Pittsburgh, me too!)

Upvote 0
Not really a "problem", but I plan on getting rid of touchwiz and rooting ASAP. Any guess on how long before we see this phone fully rooted to use 2.2?

im pretty sure we need a leaked version of froyo we might be able to port it from another galaxy s device but im not sure and we do have full root and why dont you like swype?

Upvote 0
im pretty sure we need a leaked version of froyo we might be able to port it from another galaxy s device but im not sure and we do have full root and why dont you like swype?

I tried Swype on my Droid for a while and it just never felt right. Great concept, I just could not get the hang of it. Maybe with a larger on screen keyboard it would be better.

Upvote 0
Okay, I don't actually have one, but I've watched every review and I've read nearly every thread about it. I like to do my research before buying. On paper, the Epic looks amazing. However, there are a couple things that are going to drive me crazy with this phone.

- First and foremost, the capactitive buttons look extremely unresponsive. These buttons are a very integral part of the phone and they need to be perfect.

- Samsung and Sprint seem to know that the battery life isn't all that great, despite the screen being S-AMOLED (which is supposed to save battery) by offering the optional battery charger, and also in the phones settings are tons of "power saving features" that arn't found on other Android phones. From looking at a lot of the reviewers battery status screen in the 'about phone' section, the display takes up A SHIT LOAD of battery. More than most other Android phones, including my Evo.

- The notorious GPS problem could potentially be a bugger. Now, I don't know for sure if this is fixed or not on the Epic, but it seems that it still takes a while to get a lock-on your location. And coming from the Evo (simply awesome GPS power), I don't want to feel like I'm downgrading.

These are the three main things I am worried about. I hope I'm wrong, but when purchase a new phone, I always seem to speculate. If anyone has anything else to add that they might be concerned about, please feel free to add it on this thread. I'm hoping that someone with the Epic will come in and prove me wrong.

30 day money back guarantee.

Upvote 0
What I am getting at is that the Epic lasted a whole seven minutes longer than the Evo. Seven minutes. That isn't statistically significant. So under the premises of this test, they're pretty much equal for all practical purposes.

Yet, we have people on this forum that think the Epic is going to have some sort of miraculous battery life. They state that the Epic will significantly outlast the battery that is found in the Evo. Ironically, the samoled display that people keep touting as some sort of magical battery saver is actually this phone's Achilles' heel for battery life.

I know this phone is highly anticipated, just as the Evo was. However, it seems like some people on this forum are acting as if it is the Jesus phone. This phone will have issues, just like every other phone out there.

BTW, hats off to the Motorola engineering dept. for allowing the Droid X to last so long on a single charge. That is impressive.

Upvote 0
What I am getting at is that the Epic lasted a whole seven minutes longer than the Evo. Seven minutes. That isn't statistically significant. So under the premises of this test, they're pretty much equal for all practical purposes.

Yet, we have people on this forum that think the Epic is going to have some sort of miraculous battery life. They state that the Epic will significantly outlast the battery that is found in the Evo. Ironically, the samoled display that people keep touting as some sort of magical battery saver is actually this phone's Achilles' heel for battery life.

I know this phone is highly anticipated, just as the Evo was. However, it seems like some people on this forum are acting as if it is the Jesus phone. This phone will have issues, just like every other phone out there.

BTW, hats off to the Motorola engineering dept. for allowing the Droid X to last so long on a single charge. That is impressive.

i see more evo owners talking about how amazing that phone is more so than soon to be owners of the epic.

Upvote 0
I second that, a couple thousand a day, thats impressive! I only text like 3000/month! That's 83 texts an hour for 24 hrs every day/month! haha (On a side note, I see you're from Pittsburgh, me too!)

Yeah....
i dont send a few thousand each day

On a slow day, i send about 400 or 500

I text alot when i should be paying attention in class or doing something worth while lol

I sent 21,000+ last month haha

and yeah i go to school in this area for college!

Upvote 0
That is mainly for LCD (I believe), this screen is an AMOLED display and works differently. On LCD the only way to display the color black is to simply darken the pixels, however on AMOLEDs the way to display true black is by completely cutting power to the individual LEDs.

This is why if you view the two side-by-side in a dark room, the LCD screen looks grayish, whereas the AMOLED will show no visible light output. This is saying of course that the image being shown is true black and not a shade of black.

You can't save more power better than using no power.

*edit*An image as to what I am saying. This is in comparison to the iPhone 4's Retina Display (LCD)

gsmarenasuperamolediphone.jpg

Pretty clear to see how the SAMOLED display is only supplying power to the colored portions, where as the LCD is powering the entire screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones