• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Eris ROMs

mmkay... on the stock 2.1. plug that sucker in. youll see a screen that has the following choices:
-charge only
-HTC sync
-Disk drive

put the lil green dot by "disc drive" and tap "done", if youre on a windows machine it will now prolly bring up the "auto play" box. now you can close that box,then open up a windows explorer window(right click on the little start icon in the bottom left) and transfer files as i described above... just drag them from one place to the other.

when youre done,eject the phone from the computer first,then wake up your phone. then pull down the notifications tab from the top of the phone. tap disk drive. put the green dot back by "charge only". tap done. now its safe to unplug.

hope that helps... from your above post,you dont have bad cables,you just dint know which option to chose. :)

Just so you know....I'm working on this now. Just haven't responded. I'm hoping I get somewhere. Yes, thoses are my options.....and I have been trying them all but now I'll follow your steps. This is a new cable, and I was using it with HTC sync and other things so it is being recognized. Thanks,I'll keep you updated.

Upvote 0
Just so you know....I'm working on this now. Just haven't responded. I'm hoping I get somewhere. Yes, thoses are my options.....and I have been trying them all but now I'll follow your steps. This is a new cable, and I was using it with HTC sync and other things so it is being recognized. Thanks,I'll keep you updated.

no prollem. just remember,its very important to have usb debugging checked. dont try it with it off.

one last tidbit i do find that if i unplug a usb device and plug it in again to soon,my puter may not pick up on it. i try and leave them unpluged for a minute or so before replugging.

good luck :)

Reactions: GJW419
Upvote 0
I'm just lost bro. I give up. I don't get a mount option (don't know if I should, but I don't) and I right click on these files and just do not get how to send them to my phone. You say move them around I don't understand where to. I don't see them in/on my phone, I don't have ANYTHING on my PC related to my phone. I'm missing something that is probably so simple it's pathetic

Upvote 0
I'm just lost bro. I give up. I don't get a mount option (don't know if I should, but I don't) and I right click on these files and just do not get how to send them to my phone. You say move them around I don't understand where to. I don't see them in/on my phone, I don't have ANYTHING on my PC related to my phone. I'm missing something that is probably so simple it's pathetic

I don't believe the option says "mount." I believe it should say "disk drive."

Also, if that is not working for you, do you have any other external drives connected to your computer? I know that back when I had a windows computer sometimes two different external drives would be given the same drive letter (E for my external hard drive and E for my flash drive). I had to rename one of them (can't remember how, but I'm sure you could find this out) to get them both to work at the same time. If you have nothing else plugged in then disregard this message.

Upvote 0

GJW, You're like me when I was first getting into the rooting game, I didn't really get it either. I'm a little lost you are rooted right? This is how I do it on my phone and I bypass the computer completely. 1. Go to the XDA thread of the Rom that you're wanting (also anything else that goes with it). 2. Click on the zip or zips (download one at a time). The zip will download automatically into the download file of whatever app you're using ( I use File Manager ). 3. When the download or downloads are complete click on file manager and after it opens scroll down to "download" and click on that. Scroll down to where you see the zip or zips you just downloaded. Long press on the zip and an option box will pop up. Select move. It will have four boxes across the top. "home" "mint" "sd" "download" and a bar under them with "move" on it. Click on the sd block then click the move bar. The zip file is now in sd but to make sure scroll down and you should see the zip. Repeat the process if you have other zips to move. For Roms such as GSB, Boot into recovery scroll down to nand backup/restore, click on backup and do what it says, when it's done push vol down to return to main screen, click on wipe, then click on wipe data/factory reset ( if this is a fresh install of a new rom ) or wipe Dalvick-cache ( if you are flashing over a rom ), after it's done press vol down to return to main screen, scroll down to Flash zip from sdcard and click on that, scroll down to the rom zip and click on it, when it's done loading it will send you back to the main screen, if you need to install something else like gapps, scroll down to Flash from sdcard and install that, when it's done you'll be back at the main screen again, click reboot and go from there. Remember I told you the way I do it from File Manager others may be similar but I'm not familiar with them. I hope that helps you. ;)

Upvote 0

you are overcomplicating it,for sure. you dont need any special phone software on your pc. all youre doing is moving files. when you right click,hold the button and move the mouse to drag it from one place to another.i assumed that most windows users are familiar with dragging files to move them,my apologies if this has simply confused you further.

i see now that you are right clicking,then scrolling down to "send to",wich could maybe work,i havent done it that way.when you click "send to" a list should come up... if you have chosen "disk drive" on your phone,then that drive should be a send to option. im downloading GSB 1.7 right now... ill try it in a sec and see if it works.

ok,actually looks like that worked just fine. when you first plug in the phone,pick disck drive,tap done... the "auto play" box should pop up on your puter. you dont want to pick any of its options,just look at the name up top-this is the name/location of your phone. i have lots of storage(2 hard drives,a CD drive,an expansion drive,a flash drive) so when i plug in my phone the computer sees it as KFAT0(I: ) yours will prolly be called something different.

so i downloaded GSBv1.7 into my downloads folder. i found it,the right clicked,picked "send to". a list came up,wich included KFAT0(I: ). i picked that and it transfered just fine. after it completed i opened KFAT0(I: ) and there it was :) maybe this will make it less confusing.

I don't believe the option says "mount." I believe it should say "disk drive." .

exactly. like metlcat says,there is no "mount" option. get that out of your head. you are mounting the sd card to the PC by picking the "disk drive" option.

unfortunately,im not sure how else to explain it to you. i like to move files by dragging them from place to place,but you can do it however your comfortable. have you ever moved pictures,songs,or other files from a usb flash drive to your PC? or from the PC to a flash drive? or even from one folder in another in your hard drive? if so,move your zip files the same way.

once you select "disk drive" your PC sees your phone as simply another storage space,essentially a flash drive thats connected via a usb cable :)

if you still cant figure it out,my last idea is to remove the sd card from your phone(power it off before yanking it out) and insert it into an adapter that you plug into a usb port. you can move files to and from it in a manner that youre comfortable.

failing all of the above,it sounds like youre best bet is to eliminate the computer completely from the equation,using the below excelent directions from my man BC. just going to insert one small detail that is prolly obvious,but... oh,and by "click" he means "tap" ;)

GJW, You're like me when I was first getting into the rooting game, I didn't really get it either. I'm a little lost you are rooted right? This is how I do it on my phone and I bypass the computer completely. 1. on your phones browser Go to the XDA thread of the Rom that you're wanting (also anything else that goes with it). 2. Click on the zip or zips (download one at a time). The zip will download automatically into the download file of whatever app you're using ( I use File Manager ). 3. When the download or downloads are complete click on file manager and after it opens scroll down to download and click on that. Scroll down to where you see the zip or zips you just downloaded. Long press on the zip and an option box will pop up. Select move. It will have four boxes across the top. "home" "mint" "sd" "download" and a bar under them with move on it. Click on the sd block then click the move bar. The zip file is now in sd but to make sure scroll down and you should see the zip. Repeat the process if you have other zips to move. For Roms such as GSB, Boot into recovery scroll down to nand backup/restore, click on backup and do what it says, when it's done push vol down to return to main screen, click on wipe, then click on wipe data/factory reset ( if this is a fresh install of a new rom ) or wipe Dalvick-cache ( if you are flashing over a rom ), after it's done press vol down to return to main screen, scroll down to Flash zip from sdcard and click on that, scroll down to the rom zip and click on it, when it's done loading it will send you back to the main screen, if you need to install something else like gapps, scroll down to Flash from sdcard and install that, when it's done you'll be back at the main screen again, click reboot and go from there. Remember I told you the way I do it from File Manager others may be similar but I'm not familiar with them. I hope that helps you. ;)

and one last thing... bobcat are you using "astro file manager" or is your file app simply called "file manager"? so he can get the same one and follow your directions exactly.

as i said before... nothing wrong with downloading the roms right to your phone. the important things to remember are a)do not use rom manager :eek: or terminal emulator,root expolrer,gscript lite to try and flash roms. they have their uses,but this isnt it b)boot into recovery as we have described above and flash roms from there. its the safest way. c) always make backups before making any changes.

dont get discouraged... if a plumber can do it... and a parts delivery guy(me) can do it... anyone can do it! :D

Upvote 0
Well said Scotty.:D I looked in TB and I'm using File Manager 1.1.4-rc1. I was thinking adding the phone browser but my fingers wasn't typing it.;)
Guys thank you very much for hanging in there! Also, thank you very much for all the help/advice. I'm not going to tell you what "I" do for a living or else youd laugh and think "no wonder the economy is so messed up" hahaha. I am definitely not going up, I just had to walk away last night because I kind of have a "short?" temper LOL. I am going to try the phone only method!! Seems so much easier.
Now as far as the computer method, your right. I was attempting "send to". As far as the "mount" option goes I was reading directions somewhere and they were harping on that. I'm staying here. I just got too much info from too many sources alot of reco's and tried to do to many things. My phone is clear (as I said I did) so I'm starting from scratch. I think my main problem now IS: I'm not getting any automatic window pop up on my PC. I don't even have the options you speak of to "move" the files around. FTR I use Chrome, don't know if that matters. But I do everything right (I thought I was) I'm just not having things occur (automatically) that should. Keep that in mind, and I'm going to attempt the phone method. Thanks fellas!!

Upvote 0
Guys thank you very much for hanging in there! Also, thank you very much for all the help/advice. I'm not going to tell you what "I" do for a living or else youd laugh and think "no wonder the economy is so messed up" hahaha. I am definitely not going up, I just had to walk away last night because I kind of have a "short?" temper LOL. I am going to try the phone only method!! Seems so much easier.
Now as far as the computer method, your right. I was attempting "send to". As far as the "mount" option goes I was reading directions somewhere and they were harping on that. I'm staying here. I just got too much info from too many sources alot of reco's and tried to do to many things. My phone is clear (as I said I did) so I'm starting from scratch. I think my main problem now IS: I'm not getting any automatic window pop up on my PC. I don't even have the options you speak of to "move" the files around. FTR I use Chrome, don't know if that matters. But I do everything right (I thought I was) I'm just not having things occur (automatically) that should. Keep that in mind, and I'm going to attempt the phone method. Thanks fellas!!

The best way for me to describe this is this: when you select the option "disk" from the phone when you tether to a computer, you are essentially turning the SD Card on your phone into a USB thumb drive. It should create a new disk drive in Explorer on your computer (assuming that you are running Windows.) If you have ever used a USB thumb drive, it's the same thing - copy the files to it, when the copy is done do whatever you do in Windows to dismount a USB thumb drive, and then on the phone you'll turn off disk drive access to re-mount (sorry, a Linux term) the SD card to your phone so that the phone can read the SD card again.

Upvote 0
Ok. Had a few minutes to work on this now. I have a file manager. I downloaded a ROM from XDA (GSBv1.7CM7Android 2.3). I found the file in my phone. So...........going to follow the above steps provided and we'll see what happens. CROSS FINGERS! (LOL)

One thing: In the market there is no application simply titled "File Manager" so I have AndroZip. I found the file easily and it looks easy to use so I'm going to keep it. Only problem: Doesn't appear to be the same "file manager" the helpful Bobcat is using because the options are termed differently. He didn't answer as to whether he's using Astro or not either so I didn't want to also get Astro. Anyone use Androzip?

Update: Okay. This AndroZip looks easy to use. It has a move tab. All you do is tap the file, tap move here, then tap where you want it to go. It looks as thought this file downloaded directly to my SD card as I have to go into my SD card information to find said file. Does it appear I am heading in the right direction?

Update: Wow I think I'm doing this right. I reread Bobcats post and actually this Androzip was had already done a few steps it appears he had to do manually. I'm going into recovery to follow the rest of his advice.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. TRACKBALL! I still have the old RA. I have to go install the updated trackball optional.

Upvote 0
Ok. Had a few minutes to work on this now. I have a file manager. I downloaded a ROM from XDA (GSBv1.7CM7Android 2.3). I found the file in my phone. So...........going to follow the above steps provided and we'll see what happens. CROSS FINGERS! (LOL)

One thing: In the market there is no application simply titled "File Manager" so I have AndroZip. I found the file easily and it looks easy to use so I'm going to keep it. Only problem: Doesn't appear to be the same "file manager" the helpful Bobcat is using because the options are termed differently. He didn't answer as to whether he's using Astro or not either so I didn't want to also get Astro. Anyone use Androzip?

Update: Okay. This AndroZip looks easy to use. It has a move tab. All you do is tap the file, tap move here, then tap where you want it to go. It looks as thought this file downloaded directly to my SD card as I have to go into my SD card information to find said file. Does it appear I am heading in the right direction?

Update: Wow I think I'm doing this right. I reread Bobcats post and actually this Androzip was had already done a few steps it appears he had to do manually. I'm going into recovery to follow the rest of his advice.

Did you also download the gapps file from the GSB thread? You'll need to flash this every time you flash a GSB ROM to install the google setup and make sure you have a market. It must be flashed right after the ROM is flashed (do not restart the phone before doing this). I'm sure it was mentioned above, but just like reminders to make a nandroid backup, you can never have too many reminds to flash gapps when they are not included in the ROM.

Upvote 0
Did you also download the gapps file from the GSB thread? You'll need to flash this every time you flash a GSB ROM to install the google setup and make sure you have a market. It must be flashed right after the ROM is flashed (do not restart the phone before doing this). I'm sure it was mentioned above, but just like reminders to make a nandroid backup, you can never have too many reminds to flash gapps when they are not included in the ROM.
------------------------------------------
Word. (and thank you).
PS: I was in recovery and had not downloaded the gapps. Yes I read to. Yes I knew to. YES I forgot to in the excitement of me actually, finally making progress. I was IN recovery ready to go on. If I hadn't popped in here to update my post, and catch your TIMELY post (wow, seriously, what a coincidence!!) I would have been in rubble. THANK YOU! VERY MUCH!

Okay, want to laugh. This is NO joke I'm not kidding. IF I try to use my trackball, it's dead. Dead as dead gets. Been trying pushing JUST a tad to see it it moves, then tried light motions. Tried fast short swipes. Tried long dragged (running finget over ball) swipes. This baby is dead. BUT..............if I hold the UP volume buttom down while in recovery and move the trackball? It is moving fine. Just like the day I got the phone. Make sense? LOL.

FTR: For anyone who uses a file manager and has not looked at Androzip give it a look. It's prety basic and very user friendly.

Upvote 0

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. TRACKBALL! I still have the old RA. I have to go install the updated trackball optional.

Sounds like you're about to whip it.
Edit: I have been using file manager for the last couple of rom's but it might actually be astro.

Upvote 0
Wow. Unbelievable. I'm stuck trying to get this RA working. I have everything downloaded into Androzip, and my trackball won't work at all now. YES, I downloaded the new 1.7. I used the VERY LAST link provided on the page that discusses the topic as there were some tweaks. It says NEW 1.7. BUT, it did not replace my old RA. When I boot into recovery it still says 1.6.2 with NO trackball optional typed below.

Upvote 0
Wow. Unbelievable. I'm stuck trying to get this RA working. I have everything downloaded into Androzip, and my trackball won't work at all now. YES, I downloaded the new 1.7. I used the VERY LAST link provided on the page that discusses the topic as there were some tweaks. It says NEW 1.7. BUT, it did not replace my old RA. When I boot into recovery it still says 1.6.2 with NO trackball optional typed below.

GJW419,

Please tell us what installation scenario you attempted and the details about what you actually did and saw.

We'll get you there...just need a few more details.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
GJW419,

Please tell us what installation scenario you attempted and the details about what you actually did and saw.

We'll get you there...just need a few more details.

Cheers!

I went onto Phandroid on my phone. I went to the page the link is posted. I downloaded the link onto my phone and into Androzip. I moved it onto my SD card. The file is there. But when I boot into recovery............the old version is still there.

Upvote 0
I went onto Phandroid on my phone. I went to the page the link is posted. I downloaded the link onto my phone and into Androzip. I moved it onto my SD card. The file is there. But when I boot into recovery............the old version is still there.

Well, its not as simple as just copying the alternate custom recovery image to your SD card. You need to flash the custom recovery image to your recovery partition, but you can't / won't use the custom recovery menus to do this. It is done via a special command / program called flash_image.

I wrote a special "Gscript-Lite" script that is used to flash the custom recovery image on your phone. It requires that you have:

1. The Gscript Lite (free in the Market) app

2. My "gscript-sa-171.zip" file (which contains my the actual install script and the 1.7.1 version of Amon_RA's custom recovery that does not require a trackball for menu navigation)

Note that I modeled my installation instructions and script after erisuser1's http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html thread, so it would be a good idea to peruse through that thread to get familiar with his excellent description of how to use and install Gscript Lite. You don't have to follow it, just read through so that you will be familiar with what is required when you actually do it later.

My installation instructions that would apply best to your current state would be "Scenario 3". So, why don't we do this:

1. Have a careful read-through of the "Scenario 3" instructions in http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/214240-amon_ra-1-6-2-custom-recovery-trackball-not-required.html to familiarize yourself more with the process. Don't do anything quite yet.

2. Let me boot-up my Eris and verify that "Scenario 3" will still work okay on GSB 1.6 (I think you've got 1.7 installed, but that should not matter).

3. Let's convene back here after you've read through the installation steps and see what questions you might have before you actually proceed.

Upvote 0
Well, its not as simple as just copying the alternate custom recovery image to your SD card. You need to flash the custom recovery image to your recovery partition, but you can't / won't use the custom recovery menus to do this. It is done via a special command / program called flash_image.

I wrote a special "Gscript-Lite" script that is used to flash the custom recovery image on your phone. It requires that you have:

1. The Gscript Lite (free in the Market) app

2. My "gscript-sa-171.zip" file (which contains my the actual install script and the 1.7.1 version of Amon_RA's custom recovery that does not require a trackball for menu navigation)

Note that I modeled my installation instructions and script after erisuser1's http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html thread, so it would be a good idea to peruse through that thread to get familiar with his excellent description of how to use and install Gscript Lite. You don't have to follow it, just read through so that you will be familiar with what is required when you actually do it later.

My installation instructions that would apply best to your current state would be "Scenario 3". So, why don't we do this:

1. Have a careful read-through of the "Scenario 3" instructions in http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/214240-amon_ra-1-6-2-custom-recovery-trackball-not-required.html to familiarize yourself more with the process. Don't do anything quite yet.

2. Let me boot-up my Eris and verify that "Scenario 3" will still work okay on GSB 1.6 (I think you've got 1.7 installed, but that should not matter).

3. Let's convene back here after you've read through the installation steps and see what questions you might have before you actually proceed.

Scary, I just installed the trackball optional Amon_RA using Scenario 3 on GSB 1.7 and it works just fine.

Upvote 0
Scary, I just installed the trackball optional Amon_RA using Scenario 3 on GSB 1.7 and it works just fine.

Thanks, metlcat!

I appreciate it...ran into some issues with the KaosFroyo ROM since the getprop command / util was not "baked-in".

Feel free to help guide GJW419 through this process with me.

Upvote 0
GJW419,

I've just gone back and re-read through this thread...and I have a few questions...

You indicated that you rooted, did a wipe, maybe flashed a .zip (the rootme.zip?), and had done a Nandroid backup...

Is this correct?

If so, was your trackball functioning at the time of your initial root?

What rooting method did you use? (1-click app?)

If it was the 1-click app, did you successfully flash the rootme.zip file?

I need to know this in order to steer you towards the right next step to do...if your trackball was functioning previously, perhaps you can get it to work via this method: http://androidforums.com/eris-tips-tricks/114731-trackball-cleaning.html

I just wanted to re-establish what has been implied but never explicitly stated regarding what exactly was done to your phone and its current state.

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction regarding what to do next...

Let us know.

Upvote 0
also,just thot id throw this in here... when i installed the tracball optional recovery,i got an error message when trying to use the 1.7.1 version. i assumed maybe because my sd card was not partitioned. so i tried again using the 1.6.2 version,and it went without mishap :)

so if you try 1.7.1 first and get an error,dont be discouraged... you just might need to try the other file

Upvote 0
Gentlemen:
I am now the proud owner of a Rooted HTC Droid Eris running GSBv1.7Cyanogenmod7.
Wahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Man, that was EASY! My problem was I was jumping around from thread to thread taking information here and there, trying different methods and having hangups with each. I followed the steps of how to do it minus your PC and this was a snap. Want to hear something funny? I don't know if I like this ROM hahahahahahahaha. But the GOOD news is:Now I can change with ease and find one I myself like!!!!
I have made sure I thanked everyone in each individual thread but let me thank you AGAIN for all your comments, patience and help!! Have a successful day!

Upvote 0
Gentlemen:
I am now the proud owner of a Rooted HTC Droid Eris running GSBv1.7Cyanogenmod7.
Wahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Man, that was EASY! My problem was I was jumping around from thread to thread taking information here and there, trying different methods and having hangups with each. I followed the steps of how to do it minus your PC and this was a snap. Want to hear something funny? I don't know if I like this ROM hahahahahahahaha. But the GOOD news is:Now I can change with ease and find one I myself like!!!!
I have made sure I thanked everyone in each individual thread but let me thank you AGAIN for all your comments, patience and help!! Have a successful day!

Congratulations and welcome to the world of rooting.:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones