• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ETA for ICS for my M860 ACSEND

okie doke rule one remembered

when you say not from factory, why?

also what other way would update come from if not from app store (factory?)

update procedure c/p from here . . .

"People of the huawei ascend user world... if you have Metro PCS and want to upgrade from Android 2.1 to 2.2 all you have to do is go to your apps and touch on the "App Store" app and then just type in huawei ascend upgrade. Download the software and tap install. Make sure that your battery is fully charged. It's that simple."

eto

Upvote 0
For one Metro and Cricket both discontinued the Ascend so they arent going to update a phone they no longer sell. For 2 no one even knows yet if the Ascend can even run ICS which it was never meant to ever run Gingerbread but thru some dev's (Issacj87, PlayfulGod and BobZhomes) they got Gingerbread on the Ascend via Cyanogenmod

By someone porting it over or porting a custom ICS rom and making it work on the Ascend.

Upvote 0
For one Metro and Cricket both discontinued the Ascend

was there a hw or sw issue? or just a money thing?

I like my huawei, btw what happens if it breaks? i take they won't replace it with a new 860?
I guess they just figured it had run its course. They usually hold some back for warranty replacements, but if they can't get any they will replace it with the most comparable phone of their choice.

Upvote 0
And to answer the question everyone keeps asking, no I have no real intentions on porting ICS/CM9 to the ascend. Now once I have done some other phones that are more suitable to 4.0 and have that lil thought of umm that wasnt so bad, I may, MAY, attempt it. But it prolly will never be a fully functioning port as there are too many things in the ascend that doesnt have src available for em, like the camera n wifi, and prolly many more I dont even know about. Then factor in it doesnt have a gpu, has numerous screens used, it tends to make a dev go umm no fin way lol.

Upvote 0
And to answer the question everyone keeps asking, no I have no real intentions on porting ICS/CM9 to the ascend. Now once I have done some other phones that are more suitable to 4.0 and have that lil thought of umm that wasnt so bad, I may, MAY, attempt it. But it prolly will never be a fully functioning port as there are too many things in the ascend that doesnt have src available for em, like the camera n wifi, and prolly many more I dont even know about. Then factor in it doesnt have a gpu, has numerous screens used, it tends to make a dev go umm no fin way lol.

You've done more than enough for the ASCEND community & I hope that I can speak for all here & say THANK YOU to for bringing the ASCEND to where it is today,a very polished, highly functional ANDROID GINGERBREAD phone.

If it weren't for two things that are completely out of your control,(battery life & network/provider issues),I'd probably still be using this phone.

Now,if someone were to drop off a MO PHO for you to tinker with............... :p

MERRY CHRISTMAS, PG!

Reactions: Skeezits and Scur
Upvote 0
thank you for the reply Playfulgod, Eto

what phone do you like for ICS that is a metro item?

basically I'm not at a point where I can afford a top of the line phone so what is minimal that will do?

thanks again eto
ICS specs are aimed at arm7 msm7x30 up devices with at least 512MB of RAM. Only phones Metro has that fit in this range are the Indulge and the Esteem. The Ascend 2 I may attempt, but it wont be my first one. I'm gonna do the first one prolly on the Esteem, but I'm not touching it til CM gets CM9 ready. ;)

I been following the guys doing it for the optimus m, and I just dont have the time to get that involved with it atm lol. I mean I dabble with it on n off, just not dived head first into it. lol

Upvote 0
ICS specs are aimed at arm7 msm7x30 up devices with at least 512MB of RAM. Only phones Metro has that fit in this range are the Indulge and the Esteem. The Ascend 2 I may attempt, but it wont be my first one. I'm gonna do the first one prolly on the Esteem, but I'm not touching it til CM gets CM9 ready. ;)

I been following the guys doing it for the optimus m, and I just dont have the time to get that involved with it atm lol. I mean I dabble with it on n off, just not dived head first into it. lol

Just curious:

Any chance that you may develop for Cricket's SAMSUNG INDULGE & VITALITY?

I'm good w/what I have,I suppose I'm just asking for those out there on Cricket & want something else other than the HUAWEI MERCURY & hope to see ICS in one form or another(GOOGLE/SAMSUNG or CM9).

Upvote 0
Just curious:

Any chance that you may develop for Cricket's SAMSUNG INDULGE & VITALITY?

I'm good w/what I have,I suppose I'm just asking for those out there on Cricket & want something else other than the HUAWEI MERCURY & hope to see ICS in one form or another(GOOGLE/SAMSUNG or CM9).
I still plan on CM7 for the indulge(s), depends on how all that goes if I'll do cm9 lol

Reactions: frosthax1 and KOLIO
Upvote 0
i was debating on the lg esteem or if i can get a contract deal the photon.the photon looks nicer and runs fast as i got a friend with it,and supposidly theres already a cm9 for the photon.unsure how it works but i assume it works like a dream on that phone.i got an ascend and love it minus the glitches due to limited functionality running cm7 clocked at 710 mhz.i see it looks like your working on a lg esteem from metro to try to port if you can.hopefully its successful although i havent read the specs on that phone i hear its not that bad.my main concern if getting camera fx to work with a phone as ascend keeps crashing it,and i need full on multitouch to enjoy the emulators and such.whitch one would be a better investment in that and ultimate android capibilities.a photon or lg esteem.sorry for the long paragraph but i needed to make sure i got out all i needed to say for a good assessment.

*former psp guru @pspmod.com-

Upvote 0
i was debating on the lg esteem or if i can get a contract deal the photon.the photon looks nicer and runs fast as i got a friend with it,and supposidly theres already a cm9 for the photon.unsure how it works but i assume it works like a dream on that phone.i got an ascend and love it minus the glitches due to limited functionality running cm7 clocked at 710 mhz.i see it looks like your working on a lg esteem from metro to try to port if you can.hopefully its successful although i havent read the specs on that phone i hear its not that bad.my main concern if getting camera fx to work with a phone as ascend keeps crashing it,and i need full on multitouch to enjoy the emulators and such.whitch one would be a better investment in that and ultimate android capibilities.a photon or lg esteem.sorry for the long paragraph but i needed to make sure i got out all i needed to say for a good assessment.

*former psp guru @pspmod.com-

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones