• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Even Easier Root?

has anyone here actually used this to root?

Only person I know who's tried it said it didn't work:

Originally Posted by trillonometry
am i stupid and doing something wrong or is the newly released Unrevoked falsely claiming to support the Eris?

I constantly get "Communications with device were unexpectedly interrupted"

has anyone had success?

Upvote 0
Have not tried it but I can tell you that the one that was mentioned in other posts was extremely painless for me. I was rooted and running EvilEris3.0 in about 25 minutes.
Yes this. For me it took more an hour and a half, but that's because I was one of the early adopters that used the instructions and files that weren't entirely fixed yet.

Upvote 0
Could someone point me in the direction of the that thread (on step rooting for Mac) ? I am on a MacBook Pro, & my head is about to explode from reading all this root stuff, which assumes that I have even a basic idea of what I'm doing!:p

Here is the link for the tutorial: Root for ERIS LEAKERS! - xda-developers
Just download the "hack-v4.zip", put the contents of it in your SDK tools folder, and follow the instructions from there. Pretty self-explanetory, but if you need help just PM me like bishop said.

PS. to change directories to the tools folder, type "cd" space and then drag the tools folder from finder into the terminal window. Then when you are executing the shell command, make sure you type "./" before sh. It should look like this: ./sh runinlinuxadb.sh {ENTER}

Reactions: mikey517
Upvote 0
Can unrevoked3 simply root the Eris and not load custom roms? I want to root having only SU on the phone at this time without wiping anything now. Or is there an easier way to only root and not install a new rom without wiping? I looked at the link that surgeon0214 posted and I'm a little lost cause I am new at this. Any suggestions would help greatly.

Also if anyone knows can the unrevoked3 method only root and not have to wipe the phone? My son just Rooted his Incredible. He tried the unrevoked3 method and could not get it to work for his phone. I hope I'm making sense lol.

Upvote 0
Yes I want to root without wiping anything. Ok so it will wipe if I root period. The way my son rooted his incredible did not wipe anything it just added SuperUser. I guess there is no way to do this on the Eris?

Is there a way to back up everything the way my phone is including settings before I attempt to root? I am on a PC if I didn't mention before.
Everywhere I searched there are no real tutorials on how to do this and rooting explained in a lay-mans term should I say. Even on XDA I could not find a Tutorial.

I guess I can try that unrevoked3 method and see what happens. OH the main thing that I'm concerned about is will I still be able to receive OTA updates as long as I stay with the stock rom? I just want to make sure I will be able to go back to stock if needed for any reason(witch I don't see happening but just in case)

Upvote 0
Yes I want to root without wiping anything. Ok so it will wipe if I root period. The way my son rooted his incredible did not wipe anything it just added SuperUser. I guess there is no way to do this on the Eris?

Is there a way to back up everything the way my phone is including settings before I attempt to root? I am on a PC if I didn't mention before.
Everywhere I searched there are no real tutorials on how to do this and rooting explained in a lay-mans term should I say. Even on XDA I could not find a Tutorial.

I guess I can try that unrevoked3 method and see what happens. OH the main thing that I'm concerned about is will I still be able to receive OTA updates as long as I stay with the stock rom? I just want to make sure I will be able to go back to stock if needed for any reason(witch I don't see happening but just in case)

check the "all things root" subforum. root w/o rom thread.. i got root the other day w/o wiping anything. others have too

Reactions: Brainfart
Upvote 0
I'm really having a hard time understanding why people are so reluctant to load a new ROM or have to wipe data. Pretty much every ROM available is better than stock 2.1. If you you do a factory reset, you don't really lose anything other than settings. Your contacts are backed up on google, your apps will be waiting for you in the market when you're done flashing, and pictures/songs are all stored on the sd card which isn't touched even in a full wipe. OTA's will be cooked into the updates of any ROM, and as far as I know, you're always able to go back to stock, unrooted 2.1 if warranty issues ever come up.

Is there some new phobia that I'm unaware of? :p

(I'm really not trying to be mean. I just don't see any downside to trying out a new/different/improved ROM)

Upvote 0
Is there some new phobia that I'm unaware of? :p

I think I understand where they're coming from. It's still time-consuming to get everything set up again, and they just sort of want to get their toes wet first before diving in. With the old root method we didn't have that luxury.

Also this allows them, for instance, to install a program like Titanium Backup, backup all their apps and data, and then restore that stuff on the next ROM that they flash.

Upvote 0
I think I understand where they're coming from. It's still time-consuming to get everything set up again, and they just sort of want to get their toes wet first before diving in. With the old root method we didn't have that luxury.

Also this allows them, for instance, to install a program like Titanium Backup, backup all their apps and data, and then restore that stuff on the next ROM that they flash.

thats how it was for me. titanium backup is key. having to redo everything can be a real pain. very time consuming

Upvote 0
OK im confused on how to flash the hackv-4 and the engtools3 to root.

Yes thenestor thats exactly how i feel.

is using that way(hackv & engtools3) easier or is using unrevoked3 easier? Also will both get the same result(root with super user)?
I know im a super noob at this and really want to learn how to do this but there are really no step by step tutorials on how to do it. I would root my phone tonight if I understood it better and make sure I can get this latest OTA patch for my Eris.
I know it sounds like I don't know much about these type of things but I have done everything from hack my xbox360,modchip my wii and other stuff.

OK this is a cut & paste from XDA " you can just flash EngTools.zip, courtesy of jcase, and it will add su and superuser.apk without disturbing your existing data (apps, settings, etc)."

How do I flash this to my phone? I have searched all over on how to do this and came up blank?

Upvote 0
OK im confused on how to flash the hackv-4 and the engtools3 to root.

Yes thenestor thats exactly how i feel.

is using that way(hackv & engtools3) easier or is using unrevoked3 easier? Also will both get the same result(root with super user)?
I know im a super noob at this and really want to learn how to do this but there are really no step by step tutorials on how to do it. I would root my phone tonight if I understood it better and make sure I can get this latest OTA patch for my Eris.
I know it sounds like I don't know much about these type of things but I have done everything from hack my xbox360,modchip my wii and other stuff.

OK this is a cut & paste from XDA " you can just flash EngTools.zip, courtesy of jcase, and it will add su and superuser.apk without disturbing your existing data (apps, settings, etc)."

How do I flash this to my phone? I have searched all over on how to do this and came up blank?

First, put the engtools.zip on your sd card, and then after running the commands to get into recovery instead of flashing a custom ROM you flash the EngTools.zip

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones