• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Every root user should read this!!!

jeffzz421

Jan 19, 2011
So I have successfully updated the swype keyboard on my phone and it is eeons better than the hidden word pop up ridden stock one. Also this version is WAY more accurate and I read that our versions actually deteriorate in their ability to predict words that we swype due to a weird algorithm. Long story short our swypes get worse over time and these new versions do not. Here is how we get the swype to update.

1. You need root privilages.....look around for this if you dont have it.

2. You have to go to swype's web site and sign up for the beta....its free and mandatory to install the sweet beta.

3. Now go to messaging or whatever and switch the keyboard to regular old android one. Make sure you do this.

4. Using root explorer go to the /system/app directory and rename the swype.apk file to swype.apk.bak or whatever backup name of your choosing.

5. Still using root explorer go to /system/lib and find the file libSwypeCore.so and rename it to the same thing with a .bak extension added or whatever name you like as in step 4.

6. Still using root explorer to go /data/davlik-cache and delete the swype dalvik cache entry. I dont have the exact name of it since I deleted it (Its 100 percent safe to delete any file in this directory fyi, just takes longer to reboot for the first time afterwards). However the file will look something like system@app@swype.apk@classes.dex. There should only be one file in this directory with the word swype in it, just delete it.

7. Download the swype beta installer from the swype website address that was sent to you in the email you got from swype after signing up for the beta.

8. Run the swype installer, let it do its thang and BINGO!!! You now have a way sweeter version of swype. I am currently using it with no fc's and no "hey you hid this word" crap popping up. Freaking loving it.

Don't be stingy with that thanks button and take a look at my other new thread to solve a problem that could make all our phones way sweeter looking.

And thanks a lot to nomorefear for his answer to my other post inspiring me to do this.

I ran this new swype beta for about ten hours flawlessly, then my system seemed to spaz out flashing swype error messages for everything I did ie. Go to home screen swype error. Open android Market, swype error. I was forced to revert back to my android keyboard, which works wonderfully. You guys should really give it a whirl you may just fall in love. Either way, what's the best way to uninstall this beta And reinstall my previous version. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: jeffzz421
Upvote 0
Wow that's weird. I have been using it for a few days and have had no problems. Anyways, just uninstall swype and the installer if you still have it. The system manage applications should work fine. Then just rename the original files back to their original names, ie just delete the.bak you added. Then you should be good to go.
Sent from my optimus using swype.

Upvote 0
had similar problem as doodle droid. was using the new version of swype the first day and it seemed to be worse at deciphering my swipes. then the next day when i turned it on i kept getting popups saying there was something wrong with swype and it had to force close. this continued until i switched my input method to another keyboard. then it would happen again if i switched back to swype. so i just uninstalled and renamed the .bak files (thanks for that option, i may not have backed them up otherwise). the original swype seems to work just fine for me. oh wells, thanks anyway!

Reactions: jeffzz421
Upvote 0
Huh, sorry again that this now hasn't worked for a few people. Seriously thank you both for being so mature about the malfunction since I have been around forums and that doesn't always happen. I honestly thought that it'd work the same for everyone since it worked for me. I always like to have a last resort though in case stuff doesn't work though, else I probably wouldn't have posted anything just kept about my business.

For the sake of knowledge though, have you two guys, (who got errors soon after), got 2.2.1 installed and rooted as opposed to 2.2. I got my optimus just in time and was one of the lucky ones who didn't have to go through the long root. That being said, I really wonder why you guys are having this problem? I did a LOT of reading on upgrading stock swypes before doing it/posting this and there were a lot of force closes, however they were all instant upon installation and not thereafter. It was always an issue of not deleting or renaming the swype library file. Just wondering if we can figure out why????

Sorry to everyone who has gotten FC's because of this method. Everything is still working great for me and swype has been way more accurate.

Upvote 0
Reading through this thread, it seemed reasonable to at least try it out, as I like Swype a lot, but get frustrated sometimes when it temporarily turns into an idiot on me. So I found the Swype website, and their page for the new Swype beta, Swype | Text Input for Screens, and the last point on the list of "Details" reads this exactly:

"If your phone came pre-installed with Swype
DO NOT download this beta (it won't work)"

They even put it in a different text color than the other stuff to emphasize further. So while I see mixed reviews in this thread, I do see what seems to be more dismal luck than success, and that may point back to what the Swype folks have seemingly already found out. Personally, after reading that on the site, I won't bother trying it out until they have a release version that they claim is compatible as an update.

Upvote 0
Reading through this thread, it seemed reasonable to at least try it out, as I like Swype a lot, but get frustrated sometimes when it temporarily turns into an idiot on me. So I found the Swype website, and their page for the new Swype beta, Swype | Text Input for Screens, and the last point on the list of "Details" reads this exactly:

"If your phone came pre-installed with Swype
DO NOT download this beta (it won't work)"

They even put it in a different text color than the other stuff to emphasize further. So while I see mixed reviews in this thread, I do see what seems to be more dismal luck than success, and that may point back to what the Swype folks have seemingly already found out. Personally, after reading that on the site, I won't bother trying it out until they have a release version that they claim is compatible as an update.
If you read the fist post the OP tells you to rename your swype.apk thus the swype your downloading is not trying to update the swype on your phone.
It works perfectly and has less of those duh moments you mention.

Upvote 0
My question is this: I'm using androzip instead of root explorer. I can't rename the files like suggested, or even move them. I get either a rename error or a error saying that it can't be moved due to system restrictions (since i couldn't re-name it, I was just gonna move it to a new folder on my sd card to get it out of the way (or copy it there and delete it but I couldn't just delete either)). I was under the impression that androzip was just as good a file manager as root explorer, just free.

Upvote 0
I haven't used androzip, but even with root access, in root explorer you have to mount directories as read-write before you can edit the contents. In root explorer its a button at the top in applicable folders that says "mount rw" or "mount ro" (read only). Androzip may have something similar...? I can take a look and get back to you.

yep. That's it. I went into androzip and looked at the folder properties and saw that read was true, but write was false. I couldn't find the means to mount as read/write though. Thanks for that bit of information.

Upvote 0
yeah I just installed the free version real quick to see if I could find a way to toggle write access and I didn't have any luck. This one seems to be good in that it combines a file manager, a compression utility, a backup utility of sorts for apps, a task manager, and at least has a search function too, but without write access, it's not very ideal for root users. I will give it a thumbs up on user friendliness though. For someone who wants to do non-root stuff, it looks to be pretty ideal, and seems a bit more self explanatory to the average non-superuser than something like root explorer (even though root explorer is not hard to use).

If you need access to do this swype thing or get rid of any other bloatware, I believe root explorer is worth the $3.91 it currently costs. You only have to buy it once since the purchase gets tied to your google account.

Upvote 0
yeah I just installed the free version real quick to see if I could find a way to toggle write access and I didn't have any luck. This one seems to be good in that it combines a file manager, a compression utility, a backup utility of sorts for apps, a task manager, and at least has a search function too, but without write access, it's not very ideal for root users. I will give it a thumbs up on user friendliness though. For someone who wants to do non-root stuff, it looks to be pretty ideal, and seems a bit more self explanatory to the average non-superuser than something like root explorer (even though root explorer is not hard to use).

If you need access to do this swype thing or get rid of any other bloatware, I believe root explorer is worth the $3.91 it currently costs. You only have to buy it once since the purchase gets tied to your google account.
I think you can use astromanager I think it is free though dont quote me on it.

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones