• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO 4g Successor EVO 3D (BSOD Thread)

Question, did this Bluescreen(Or Bluemoon as I've been calling him. My bad.) show up again before or after BGR posted leaked Evo 3D info from their source and other sites startes to re-report. That should speak volumes if answered.

As for Blue. Seems he got things like the 4 gig memory and 1 gb RAM being used interchangably(Sp? I use this in place of the long explaination of rom being used for ram) right. Seems most people here were either fully trusting or very doubtful. Everyone should of been cautiously, but openly optimistic and keep open the chance of him being spot on or a liar.

Depending what thread your on and if he answers you the biggest giveaway would be asking if he got on the floor to talk as he said he would at CTIA and he also said e'd give a shout out to this forum(I haven't watched the presentation footage so no idea.)

Even if his internal model got ditche at the last second surely his CTIA presentation wasn't. So either he's there now or somewhere most likely in the U.S being a fat ass giggling how he pulled a lackluster prank. It'll be one or the other.

Upvote 0
Mhm. Still good advice to go on. I kept what Blue said tucked like a rumor so I wasn't really disappointed. As I said in the speculation thread with only a handful of Evo owners able to upgrade unless buying at full price or sprint throws a deal, Evo 3D seems aimed more at new customers. It's competetive with the competition i.e. HTC Thunderbolt/Eventual iPhone.

Afterall Evo 4G was really just a Wimax and Android flavored HTC HD2 that came months before it or the Incredible and Moto's slew of Droids that followed a similar spec template.

Not as if anyone expected a breakthrough device. Just the mandatory upgraded device for the year. Only glares are the front face for myself, the less wide screen, kickstand being an accessory, and maybe the lack of an upgraded front camera( Hopefully the sensors are better) and if we're only stuck at 5 mp 1080 p shots at 2D.

Keep in mind if the 5 mp cameras are improved they'll blow away HTCs offerings to date even at 8 mp.

Look at Nokia and recently Apple to get the most out of a celly camera.

Upvote 0
In m life time computer CPU's have moved from "Metal Oxide" to "Copper" to "CDO" (Carbon doped Oxide) and seen it move from ..38nm technology to .07nm technology. There is no doubt as price per performance comes into question. More important aspect is real estate. I have watched simple CPU's dual core, and quad core meet there death. Only to see then being produced under new technology. While we can produce .07nm technology on a hexacore porcessor. Do you think we would produce the same technology of a dual core processor on a old 8in wafer? No, we would produce that same technology on a .07nm on a 12in waffer. No of course not. This is what qualcomm achieved in the last minute. Leaving us with EVO 3D today.
BSOD

Upvote 0
to "CDO" (Carbon doped Oxide)
The term you're looking for is low-k interconnect material.

and seen it move from ..38nm technology to .07nm technology.
The theoretical limit for CMOS manufacturing is about 0.5 nm process technology, according to the ITRS, but you're free to correct me, the 2010 posts are - 2010 Update

Samsung achieved 22 nm memory manufacturing just within the last year, and work is afoot to get to sub-20 nm processes earlier than the ITRS roadmap suggested.

You're off by a factor of around 300.

There is no doubt as price per performance comes into question. More important aspect is real estate. I have watched simple CPU's dual core, and quad core meet there death. Only to see then being produced under new technology.
I have no idea what you meant there.

While we can produce .07nm technology on a hexacore porcessor.
You have no idea what you meant there.

Do you think we would produce the same technology of a dual core processor on a old 8in wafer? No, we would produce that same technology on a .07nm on a 12in waffer. No of course not. This is what qualcomm achieved in the last minute. Leaving us with EVO 3D today.
OK.

Qualcomm is a fabless company, if we look only at their semiconductor side.

They achieve a lot in design.

They achieve really nothing in semiconductor production - that's contracted out to firms like TSMC. I prefer to not comment on which of their fabs produce which products, but these links provide reading of interest to some, especially the details with respect to dates.

Qualcomm and TSMC Collaborating on 28nm Process Technology

TSMC's Fab 6 Production Exceeds 70,000 8-inch Wafers per Month

Evidently, you don't work in hardware or in hardware supply.

Neither are you familiar with semiconductor manufacturing. Nothing is achieved in production at the last minute.

Upvote 0

The theoretical limit for cmos manufacturing is about 0.5 nm process technology, according to the itrs, but you're free to correct me, the 2010 posts are - 2010 update

samsung achieved 22 nm memory manufacturing just within the last year, and work is afoot to get to sub-20 nm processes earlier than the itrs roadmap suggested.

Ok.

They achieve really nothing in semiconductor production - that's contracted out to firms like tsmc. I prefer to not comment on which of their fabs produce which products, but these links provide reading of interest to some, especially the details with respect to dates.

qualcomm and tsmc collaborating on 28nm process technology

tsmc's fab 6 production exceeds 70,000 8-inch wafers per month

evidently, you don't work in hardware or in hardware supply.

Neither are you familiar with semiconductor manufacturing. Nothing is achieved in production at the last minute.

pwn'd!!

Upvote 0

The theoretical limit for CMOS manufacturing is about 0.5 nm process technology, according to the ITRS, but you're free to correct me, the 2010 posts are - 2010 Update

Samsung achieved 22 nm memory manufacturing just within the last year, and work is afoot to get to sub-20 nm processes earlier than the ITRS roadmap suggested.

OK.

They achieve really nothing in semiconductor production - that's contracted out to firms like TSMC. I prefer to not comment on which of their fabs produce which products, but these links provide reading of interest to some, especially the details with respect to dates.

EarlyMon tearing through souls!

Upvote 0
I'm still not sure whether BS is a very persistent troll, or if he's simply delusional to the point where he truly does believe he's everything he's said is true.

I'm not trying to attack him personally, but after being proven wrong a multitude of times, I see no other alternative to explain his actions.

If there's one good thing about his posts though, is that we get people like EarlyMon clarifying all of his misinformation and educating all who read, heh.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Well that's the risk of speaking technobabble until someone who actually has the knowledge calls you out on it.

Personally I found Early's post very interesting and have a follow-up question:

Does the "k" in the above refer to the heat-transfer coefficient?

-edit-
nvm, k is conductivity; h is the heat transfer coefficient.

Upvote 0

OK.

@EarlyMon, Since it slow around here today and basically everything is already been ported or tested. I guess use your example of taking things out of context and pasting together posts to make some point?

Matter fact there was company that first used copper in a semi conductor manufacturing. IBM first used copper manufacturing process in 1997. IBM also found out the hard way how volatile copper contamination was. Simple hair strand of copper cross contaminated into a non copper processing tool. Destroying every single wafer processed through that tool and on down manufacturing line after that. "I have seen under electron microscope what happens to metal oxide contaminated by copper and the die's all look like rust" End result was IBM's entire fab was shut down and "Billions" of dollars lost. Intel was the "first" to prefect the copper manufacturing process. That bullet taken care of, let's move on shall we...

"I think the word you looking for is low "K" interconnect material"
Interconnect material? No we use a material called ILD "Inter laminated dielectric" It used to isolate one metal layer of the die to the next metal layer. ILD also act like a capacitor for the interconnects between the metal layers. FYI, there are 7 metal layers and 6 ILD layers in a single Intel CPU core.
Copper process I am talking about is accomplished like this.

1)You have a bare 300mm (12in) Silicon wafer it goes over to planner to have very thin layer of metal oxide poured and polished over it.

2)Wafers then sent over to "Thin Films" to have a very then layer of resist spun onto the entire surface of the wafer. Maybe this is what you are talking about (K) interconnects? The resist layer has inductive/capacitive/resist properties that come into play later, but ultimately this is what we call sacrificial layer as it is removed at the end of the metal layer process in manufacturing.

3)The wafer is put back into a cassette holding 24 other wafers making 25 total wafers for each cassette goes into what is called a "Boat". The boat through automation is sent over to etch "WetEtch" where a material called SLAM "Superficial Light Absorbing Material" is applied by "dunking" the cassette holding all the wafers into a bath module inside a "WetBench". Once again all handled through automation. The Wetbench tool will reach in grab the cassette from the "boat" and transport the cassette to the desired module and preforms the process. The "Wetbench" can do this with up to 12 cassette all at the same time, impressive if you do the math, because 300 wafers being processed all at once. A company by EATON manufacture the wetbench tool. SLAM absorbs some of the light during the exposure process(Lithography) as to not distort images being applied to the surface of the wafer. Because the die scale shrunk and we had the light intensity up so high during the exposure the light would reflect back and killed the die during the etching process. Intel invented a material called "SLAM" to remedy this. Each 12in wafer is equal to 1260 dies. Means a crap load of intel processors on 1 single wafer. You can multiply that by 25 cause of the number of wafers per cassette. (1260x25x$1000. per 45min)=The value of screwing up or missing a step.

3)The "Boat" are then sent to "Litho" with there fresh coat of resist and slam. The wafer under go a exposure process "Same as developing a negative from film" Once that is complete it's back over to etch.

4)Before the etching process can begin. The slam material needs to be removed. If this is not done, you just contaminated 250 million dollar etch process tool. 12hrs to recover from that kind of contamination refer back to the equation up above. The wafer need to go back to "Wetbench" as we call it and needs a EG3 bath. "Ethelyn Glycol Proprietary blend" This removes the slam material with out impacting the resist.

5) Wafers are then moved from the wetbench in etch onto metal etch tool named "Telius" made by "Tokyo Electron Ltd". Metal oxide etch process is done to create a trench. Each wafer is removed from the cassette by way of robotic actuation. Inside the process chamber there is a ceramic chuck the wafer will sit on during the etch process. First as the wafer is being delivered to the process chamber there are 3 lifter pins "Very Small" the arm will set the wafer down on. Once the arm is removed there is a chamber door that closes. Once the door is closed the atmosphere is pumped out and a vacuum created inside the chamber. The lifter pins gently set the wafer down on the chuck (Deviation is <1micron) Once the wafer properly seated on the chuck(Measured by backside vacuum pressure) 1500vdc is applied to back side of the wafer to apply static charge to hold the wafer in place during the etching process. Deionized water and helium circulate through the chuck to provide cooling provided by tools located in the sub-fab below. Plasma is introduced in the process chamber and is focused by set of 32 rotating magnets upper set and a lower set. There is a upper electrode that supplies process gas and voltage "shower head" and the lower electrode "chuck" is for holding the wafer in place. This focuses the plasma directly to the surface of the wafer and prevents over etch.

6)Etch process done, time to get ride of the resist left over and clean the resist residue in our newly formed trenches where copper is going to be applied later. Wetbench will dunk all 25 wafers in 3 types of solutions and then dried at the end of the process. The wafers are then sent to plannar

7)Plannar applies very thin layer of copper and at this point plannar is done for now.

8)wafer move over to(KLA) a doping bench. Very large machine bombards the wafers with negative or positive charged ions. Making this metal layer more positive or less positive charged. It represent what type of current we want from one metal layer to the next via ILD layer. (I.E if you want transistors to fire sooner or later.) Think LC/RC time Constance or PNP transistor where one metal layer is the emitter, the next metal layer is the base, and the next metal layer is collector. Depending on the metal layer this create that (K)dielectic portion you might have been talking about. Still not sure what you meant by (K) interconnects?

9) Wafers are then sent back over to plannar to have the remaining copper removed and polished to point your left with perfect metal copper lines running the entire metal1 layer of a die. Each copper line representing .

10)Wafers are sent back over to ILD to have insulated layer spun on to the surface of the wafer. ILD protects the next layer of copper to be put on the surface wafer. The same time providing the interconnects.

11)Essential in extreme layman terms that is Metal1 step, Metal2 step. Wash, Rinse, and Repeat 7 more times.

-The theoretical limit for CMOS manufacturing is about 0.5 nm process technology, according to the ITRS, but you're free to correct me, the 2010 posts are - 2010 Update.
Theoretical for CMOS maybe and they use the word "manufacturing". Once again talking about limitation of production size of entire device "CMOS" transistor based infrastructure xyz. If you talk about architecture your in a completely different field and were back down to 7nm and 13nm.structures. Only limitation is the the Lithography.

-Samsung achieved 22 nm memory manufacturing just within the last year, and work is afoot to get to sub-20 nm processes earlier than the ITRS roadmap suggested.
LMAO, wippie freaking doo doo? 22nm for memory. Samsung should already be down to least 18nm or 13nm for memory silicon. When they have to pack as many transistors in a modern CPU and then back it up with 12mb L1 cache memory and operate at 2.9Ghz and have 6 of them in 22nm technology. Then we can talk memory silicon vs CPU silicon. Until then "apples and oranges" when comes to comparing memory to cpu manufacturing. The next proc already scheduled to be released after "Sandy" later this year will be 22nm technology.

-Qualcomm is a fabless company, if we look only at their semiconductor side. Did you also know that some of Qualcomm work is contracted out to TriQuint. I work in Hillsboro, OR. at place called (PTD) Portland Technology Development at Intel corporation (Fab D1D). Anyway, back to TriQuint there semiconductor fab is located right behind our fab. I think it might have to do with us being located in a silicon forest or something? Some of the conversation you can have with those TriQuint guys over launch is amazing. Get back on point here. Namely the Wifi radio and our beloved 4G radio for EVO 4G was manufactured at TriQuant(Who knew?). Wouldn't you know some of the silicon being contracted out for manufacturing for EVO 3D is being handled at TriQuint as well. Amazing! Whoo Knew!!!

Not only TSMC using ancient 8in (200mm) wafer technology, but 70,000 wafers doesn't even come close to what our fab (D1D) does. Intel works compressed work weeks 12hr shifts 3 on 4 and vice verse. 24x7 operation in other words. I saw 110k wafers processed in a single shift there will be questions being asked because that tells me Process Tool went down and held up the line. Safety/Quality red flag goes off and answers need to be quick. Remember the IBM story in the beginning of this jovial little trot down non EVO 3D lane? Intel D1D fab will process 250k per day. I hope what ever it is TSMC is making for Qualcomm it's not important, at that rate we wont see it until next Xmas in mass quanity.

-Evidently, you don't work in hardware or in hardware supply.

-Neither are you familiar with semiconductor manufacturing. Nothing is

Your comment on me not knowing hardware. I will handle it like the rest comment with "No Comment". EarlyMon, I will take your approach and use your words of wisdom "all comes out in the wash."

EarlyMon, only responded to your post out sheer boredom, with no ambitions of trying make a point. I felt your post provided the perfect example with out me needing to write a book about nothing to do with EVO 3D.
The tone, I hope came off light hearten as it was meant to be.

Lastly, I am feeling groovy. I stepped down full time work at Intel shortly after EVO 4G launch. (Still pop in for meetings) I and some of my partners started up a consulting firm. Our group was ask to come back under contract (Labor Law thing) by a company wanting to be remain nameless to provide developer feed back. Course a chance to play with latest technology is what we live for it around here. Everyone was happy to back on board with the project. Some of the gizmos and gadgets I posted about earlier are working there way into EVO 3D. Time to pack it in call it a early day.
Cheers,
(>-_0<)BSOD

Upvote 0
When you guys reference 28nm or like this bull above. That is the entire real estate of the entire die. You reference me talking about .07um or .13um technology because at Intel we don't measure in real estate of the entire die we measure in the width of a single conductive metal line. Theoretical for CMOS maybe and they use the word "manufacturing". Once again talking about limitation of production size of entire device "CMOS" transistor based infrastructure xyz. If you talk about architecture your in a completely different field and were back down to .07um and .13um. structures.Only limitation is the the Lithography.

I was trying to follow your rebuttal of EarlyMon's earlier post, but I'm having a hard time. Take this paragraph above for example. This is the first time you've started using micrometers (um). Previously you said:

move from ..38nm technology to .07nm technology
Now it's 'um?' Which is it? Ok, let's assume you typo'd a bunch the first time around, and you actually meant 'um.' 0.07um = 70 nanometers. 0.13um = 130 nanometers. Both of which is wider than 28nm and makes no sense in the context in which you reference them, since you state that the 28nm refers to the "real estate of the entire die," which is utterly wrong. Not to mention the nm value is a measurement of distance, whereas "real estate" of the die would imply area. And since die are often rectangular, wouldn't there be two measurements to express die "real estate?" And if your 0.07um refers to the thickness of the conductive line, your wire is thicker than the "real estate of the entire die." Riddle me that.

For future reference (so you can bullshit with more credibility), the nm measurement is the distance between the inner edges of two 'conductive lines' (to borrow your terminology). This distance is significant because as we try to cram more circuitry into a small area, the electrochemical properties of the non-conductive material between the lines becomes more and more important. That's where low-K interconnect materials come directly into play: to prevent tunneling between the ever-narrowing gap between conductive lines.

Wiki has a good table of our historical nm processes as well as projections to 2015. Note how nm became the favored unit of measurement once the processes dropped significantly below 1um.

When you guys reference 28nm or like this bull above.
lol, 'bull.' Oh the irony. Intel has 22nm in production for 2011. Not 0.07um or 0.07nm.

Upvote 0
I was trying to follow your rebuttal of EarlyMon's earlier post, but I'm having a hard time. Take this paragraph above for example. This is the first time you've started using micrometers (um). Previously you said:

Now it's 'um?' Which is it? Ok, let's assume you typo'd a bunch the first time around, and you actually meant 'um.' 0.07um = 70 nanometers. 0.13um = 130 nanometers. Both of which is wider than 28nm and makes no sense in the context in which you reference them, since you state that the 28nm refers to the "real estate of the entire die," which is utterly wrong. Not to mention the nm value is a measurement of distance, whereas "real estate" of the die would imply area. And since die are often rectangular, wouldn't there be two measurements to express die "real estate?" And if your 0.07um refers to the thickness of the conductive line, your wire is thicker than the "real estate of the entire die." Riddle me that.

For future reference (so you can bullshit with more credibility), the nm measurement is the distance between the inner edges of two conductive lines. This distance is significant because as we try to cram more circuitry into a small area, the electrochemical properties of the non-conductive material between the lines becomes more and more important. That's where low-K interconnect materials come directly into play: to prevent crosstalk between the ever-narrowing gap between conductive lines.

Wiki has a good table of our historical nm processes as well as projections to 2015. Note how nm became the favored unit of measurement once the processes dropped significantly below 1um.

lol, 'bull.' Oh the irony. Intel has 22nm in production for 2011. Not 0.07um or 0.07nm.

Mentioned in my earlier post, step down from operations at Intel last year. I understand the limiting factors when comes to tunneling. More so the depth required in creating a trench in the metal oxide trench so copper lines can be created. The one issue that was hard to over come as the tunnels narrowed and the trenches were deeper. The the top the Trench would over etch creating a inverted bell shape trench. That was handled by altering the resist layer, PARC "photo anti reflective layer, and Slam "Sacrificial Light absorbing material" on top of the resist. It's not "Crosstalk" it is electro-migration between metal lines that create problems specially as processor speed is increased. nm is measured by the distance of the trench walls, not the distance between the metal lines. I have taken pictures of Trenches in the metal oxide layer to provide photos to etch process engineers using electron microscope. As far as this low k interconnect being mention. Intel processors do not have that material between the metal lines. The material is oxide between the metal lines on Intel processor. We refer to as CDO "Carbon Doped Oxide" the ILD provides (k) dielectric properties to prevent electro-migration but provide insulation in the metal stack.
Where there is smoke there is fire. Some people so set on there beliefs. Further more it's not a rebuttal, refutation, it called killing time. I lay out simple explanation on how wafers are processed at Intel you want to call bs on the entire subject. I appreciate you catching me on my typos hope there are corrected to your satisfaction.
BSOD.

Upvote 0
You called it down - let the spanking begin.

@EarlyMon, Since it slow around here today and basically everything is already been ported or tested. I guess use your example of taking things out of context and pasting together posts to make some point?

That was all from a single post of yours, rebutted in linear fashion. Everyone here knows that, it's from your post above mine.

Intel was the "first" to prefect the copper manufacturing process. That bullet taken care of, let's move on shall we...
Not before pointing out that before any end point manufacturer makes anything, they need process machinery to get the job done. Last I checked, Intel buys process machinery.

"I think the word you looking for is low "K" interconnect material"
Interconnect material? No we use a material called ILD "Inter laminated dielectric" It used to isolate one metal layer of the die to the next metal layer. ILD also act like a capacitor for the interconnects between the metal layers. FYI, there are 7 metal layers and 6 ILD layers in a single Intel CPU core.
Copper process I am talking about is accomplished like this... ... Maybe this is what you are talking about (K) interconnects? ... Depending on the metal layer this create that (K)dielectic portion you might have been talking about. Still not sure what you meant by (K) interconnects?
You're really quite unfamiliar with standard industry terms and you're certainly unfamiliar with things at the device level.

I've snipped out your colorful description of how wafers are made and would suggest to the reader that googling "how are wafers made" will yield some interesting results from youtube and eHow and so forth that might be of interest to some.

Theoretical for CMOS maybe and they use the word "manufacturing". Once again talking about limitation of production size of entire device "CMOS" transistor based infrastructure xyz. If you talk about architecture your in a completely different field and were back down to .07nm and .13nm. structures.Only limitation is the the Lithography.
There's really no point in you trying to avoid what you wrote earlier.

-Samsung achieved 22 nm memory manufacturing just within the last year, and work is afoot to get to sub-20 nm processes earlier than the ITRS roadmap suggested.
LMAO, wippie freaking doo doo? 22nm for memory. Samsung should already be down to least 18nm or 13nm for memory silicon. When they have to pack as many transistors in a modern CPU and then back it up with 12mb L1 cache memory and operate at 2.9Ghz and have 6 of them in 21nm piece of real estate. Then we can talk memory silicon to CPU silicon. Until then "apples and oranges" son. The next proc already scheduled to be released after "Sandy" later this year will be 22nm total die size.
Well, gee, dad, let's do the math. 12" wafer is approximately 300mm diameter, 150mm radius.

Mom sent me to school with an apple, I gave it to the teacher, she told me the area of a circle is pi*r^2. So, 150mm diameter is a total area of over 70,000 square millimeters.

I read somewhere that you can fit 1260 dice on a 12" wafer. Mom had extra apples that week, so I learned about division - I think it goes like this: 70,000/1260 = 55 square millimeters per die.

Mom even had apples when I went to high school, so I traded in one for dimensional conversion. Going from sq mm to sq nm, that kinda leaves:

55 x 10^12 sq nm / die - or - 55 trillion square nanometers per die.

If a die is really only 22 nm wide (I'm guessing wide, because one of the other apples I traded in left me thinking you can't use linear measures for area), then the die area would be 22x22 = 484 square nanometers per die.

What happened to the other 54+ trillion square nanometers of space on each die on that wafer?

There's even some apples left. If you're real nice, I'll bet Mom will give you one and you can learn that specifying memory when talking about process technology is a good idea because memory cells are very small AND simple and memory structures tend to be homogeneous.

Did you also know that some of Qualcomm work is contracted out to TriQuint.
If you say so. I don't discuss what my customers tell me.

I work in Hillsboro, OR. at place called (PTD) Portland Technology Development at Intel corporation (Fab D1D).
I work worldwide in semiconductor research and development and have visited a very great deal of all of the major fabs.

Anyway, back to TriQuint there semiconductor fab is located right behind our fab.
Tell them hello.

I think it might have to do with us being located in a silicon forest or something? Some of the conversation you can have with those TriQuint guys over launch is amazing.
Sure is.

Your comment on me not knowing hardware. I will handle it like the rest comment with "No Comment". EarlyMon, I will take your approach and use your words of wisdom "all comes out in the wash."
Sure does.

EarlyMon, only responded to your post out sheer boredom, with no ambitions of trying make a point.
Good news. You managed to make a point anyway, although it probably wasn't the one you'd wanted to make.

Your post wasn't boring at all. In fact, I think that at this point, a number of people are having very non-bored reactions - I know I am.

And just so we're clear, I'm not rolling on the floor because I'm on fire.

And now that you've finally said what you do for a living - don't you think if you're going to discuss the Evo 3D hereabouts, you'd do better to constrain your remarks so as to at least mark which parts of your posts are based on things you might know, and which parts you're overextended and guessing on?

Upvote 0
As far as this low k interconnect being mention. Intel processors do not have that material between the metal lines. The material is oxide between the metal lines on Intel processor.

An interconnection is stuff between connections. In lay terms, an interconnect is a kind of wire.

So, I agree with you 100% - Intel does not fill the space between metal lines with more metal.

We refer to as CDO "Carbon Doped Oxide" the ILD provides (k) dielectric properties to prevent electro-migration but provide insulation in the metal stack.
Believe me when I say that the expression - the ILD provides (k) dielectric properties to prevent electro-migration - had many correctly spelled words in it.

Best you not try further on that whole k thing, srsly.

Where there is smoke there is fire.
And where there isn't, there's not. :D

Upvote 0
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

I use latin words. I'm smart :)

@EarlyMon: is that still your sig? So appropriate for our pal BlueScreen...

Ok, so my HDMI cable came in, and I finally connected my Evo to my TV. Worked pretty well; the stock HDMI service kicked in and asked me what resolution I wanted. I canceled that and instead ran HDMwIn for some full mirroring action. Worked perfectly. By default the screen went outside the boundaries of my screen, but the overscan slider allowed me to scale it down to fit.

So after playing around and showing it off to family, I started to realize that if you're going to mirror the phone, you need a mouse cursor so you can look at the TV while manipulating the phone. Pair a BT keyboard and mouse, and suddenly the device is a very, very portable computer. Fortunately some ROMs support Bluetooth Human Interface Devices. Now I need to buy a BT mouse and see if this feature is really as cool as I think it is.

I believe the Evo 3D supports full mirroring. At least that's what I remember when Hannah (Sprint rep) demo'd the Evo. So if full mirroring is now a stock feature, doesn't it make sense to support HIDs out of the box as well? If it's there, I'd say I prefer the Evo's method of projecting to a large screen over the Atrix's docking method.

Upvote 0
Yep - still part of my sig.

That's an interesting point about the 3D's extended capabilities - if the HDMI fully mirrors (I recall that as well) then not only a kb+mouse - but also a game controller might be just the thing. In addition to BT - this thing might have the power to manage wifi HIDs.

I recall us discussing as we discovered the underlying power of our Evos that it was a fusion device - centralizing in one place many of our networking operations.

It seems then if I imagine more to what you're saying that the Evo 3D, with the right software, might surpass that and become a convergence device - a full home theater PC, a movie portal (2 and 3D) and a gaming system - even a large-screen video-chat platform.

Imagine the possibilities with the right layout and wireless HDMI. ;)

Upvote 0
Yep - still part of my sig.

That's an interesting point about the 3D's extended capabilities - if the HDMI fully mirrors (I recall that as well) then not only a kb+mouse - but also a game controller might be just the thing. In addition to BT - this thing might have the power to manage wifi HIDs.

I recall us discussing as we discovered the underlying power of our Evos that it was a fusion device - centralizing in one place many of our networking operations.

It seems then if I imagine more to what you're saying that the Evo 3D, with the right software, might surpass that and become a convergence device - a full home theater PC, a movie portal (2 and 3D) and a gaming system - even a large-screen video-chat platform.

Imagine the possibilities with the right layout and wireless HDMI. ;)

I would be surprised if the Evo 3D doesn't do all that. Considering the Atrix does, it would be a real disappointment if the next Evo did not.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones