• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo 4G won't unroot

ric221

Jan 9, 2011
rooted with unrevoked3. rooted fine. trying to unroot phone to get a issue looked at, but phone won't unroot. have tried the unroot steps posted in rooting for dummies, but still won't unroot. any help or tricks would be greatly welcomed.
T I A
4got 2 add i'm new to this

Let me see if I understand what you're saying. You successfully got s-on, but are now trying to flash PC36IMG.zip from recovery? That file should be recognized in hboot, not recovery. Or are you still trying to get s-on?
this is how i have done the unrooting process what steps do i not need to do

BEFORE UNROOTING
  • Make sure you UNFREEZE any frozen apps with Titanium Backup.

STEP 1: DOWNLOAD
Download both the PC36IMG.zip and the S-On Tool to your PC Desktop. DO NOT EXTRACT
(NOTE: Make sure the file is named PC36IMG.zip exactly. Some Windows OS hide any extensions by default; so make sure it is not named PC36IMG.zip.zip when you rename it.)

STEP 2: MICRO USB
Connect your device to your PC with the Micro USB cord.

STEP 3: DISK DRIVE
Chang your charging options to Disk Drive.
Menu > Setting > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type > Disk Drive > Done

STEP 4: S-ON TOOL TO SDCARD
Transfer unrevoked-forever-son.zip to the ROOT of your SDCard.
(Do not transfer the PC36IMG.zip yet)

STEP 5: TURN OFF DEVICE
Power down the device by holding the Power Button for 2 seconds. Allow it to shutdown completely. Wait about 10 seconds before next step.

STEP 6: RECOVERY MODE
Hold down VOL DOWN + POWER until device boots into a White Screen.
Move to RECOVERY by using the VOL DOWN toggle and select by using POWER button.

STEP 7: FLASH ZIP
Select unrevoked-foreverson.zip in the selection area and press POWER button to complete the FLASH.

STEP 8: IS S-ON, ON?
When the FLASH is complete, Reboot the device into the Bootloader screen by holding down VOL + POWER until it boots into the White Screen. Check to make sure it says S-ON on the TOP. If it does, select RECOVERY with the VOL DOWN toggle. (continue to step 9)

If it says S-OFF, repeat STEPS 5 - 7 until it says S-ON.

STEP 9: TURN OFF DEVICE
Power down the device by holding the Power Button for 2 seconds. Allow it to shutdown completely. Wait about 10 seconds before next step.

STEP 10: RECOVERY MODE

STEP 11: TRANSFER PC36IMG.zip TO SDCARD
Connect the MICRO USB Cord. There is an option for this in both the Amon RA and Clockwork recovery.
Transfer the PC36IMG.zip to the ROOT of your SDCard.

STEP 12: UNHOOK USB FROM PC + USB OFF
SAFELY remove the USB from the PC and then turn OFF USB in Recovery.

STEP 9: TURN OFF DEVICE

STEP 10: RECOVERY MODE

The Device will check for the PC36IMG.zip and then ask you YES/NO to apply the newly introduced update. Press VOL UP = YES or VOL DOWN = NO.
Once Completed, press VOL UP to reboot.

YOU HAVE JUST BEEN UNROOTED! BAM!

i will try all steps again if needed

Upvote 0
Perfect, that's what I needed to know :). So, download this file:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1Q8HDT3Q

Rename it to PC36IMG.zip, exactly. If you're using windows, make sure not to rename it to PC36IMG.zip.zip accidentally, or anything like that. Windows hides extensions by default. Copy that file to the root of your sdcard. Turn the phone off, then turn the phone back on while pressing and holding the volume down button to get back to hboot. You are not going to do anything in recovery. As soon as you get to hboot, it will scan for PC36IMG.zip files. Assuming you named the file correctly, it will find it, and prompt to flash. Once it is done flashing, you should be fully unrooted. Technically, you don't have full root anymore since you now have s-on, but running this file will replace your recovery with the stock one, and give you a fresh, unrooted, stock ROM. Let me know if you have any problems with this.

Reactions: ric221 and Matlock
Upvote 0
have a issue with volume need to have it looked at did not want them to see it was rooted

Yep, it's a good idea to unroot for that :).

So to unroot this is the method even if you used the 1 click unrevoked? Cause I know the harder root method was different had a lot more coding

Which 1 click are you referring to? Any of the later unrevoked versions that give you s-off and a custom recovery must be unrooted this way. If you're referring to the really old version of unrevoked that you ran from your phone, then you just need to uninstall it. That only gave soft root. That was for Android 2.1, though. I doubt that's what you're talking about.

Upvote 0
What PC36IMG.zip are you using? Does it just not recognize it? Did you rename it to PC36IMG.zip, exactly, making sure not to rename it to PC36IMG.zip.zip or accidentally unzip it? Here is the correct file in case you have the wrong one:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

I doubt that's the problem, though. If you had the wrong one, it would just throw an error. It would still find it. Try the above file anyway.

Upvote 0
I had to leave unexpectedly last night. My next question was going to be about the sdcard. Excellent job figuring that out on your own. I'm always happy when people can troubleshoot on their own like that :). I've seen a few cases now where people randomly couldn't flash PC36IMG.zip file due to a bad sdcard or even a smaller one. Congrats on doing this yourself.

Upvote 0
I was having identical problems. Even reformatted the SD card within the phone (after copying its contents as a backup), tried 4 different PC36IMG files, and multiple SD cards. The key step that seemed to make the difference for me was making sure to unplug the USB cable before rebooting into HBoot (0.97 for me by the way). Had been simply turning off the USB tether to keep it in charge mode before powering down. But you actually must pull the cable; at least in my case. A lot of hair on the floor from this one. Now I get an error "Main Version is older" which I will go figure out elsewhere. But at least past this not recognizing the PC36IMG.zip file with no real error or message of such.

Upvote 0
I was having identical problems. Even reformatted the SD card within the phone (after copying its contents as a backup), tried 4 different PC36IMG files, and multiple SD cards. The key step that seemed to make the difference for me was making sure to unplug the USB cable before rebooting into HBoot (0.97 for me by the way). Had been simply turning off the USB tether to keep it in charge mode before powering down. But you actually must pull the cable; at least in my case. A lot of hair on the floor from this one. Now I get an error "Main Version is older" which I will go figure out elsewhere. But at least past this not recognizing the PC36IMG.zip file with no real error or message of such.

1) What is your baseband radio version?
2) What PC36IMG.zip are you using?
3) Do you already have S-ON (if you did the steps in order, I trust the answer to this is yes, but please verify, anyway).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones