• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo boot failure due to exchange sync

jsanjose

Lurker
May 30, 2010
I ran into this with my corporate e-mail this week on a Google I/O Evo. The setup of my exchange account was painless. Just need to plug-in my e-mail, password and a device password. Exchange syncing works fine until you turn off your phone.

When you power the phone back on, it boots up to the point where the Sprint intro video plays. At that point, according to Sprint tech support, the Exchange syncing hits a snag and causes the phone to restart indefinitely...playing that same loud, annoying intro video over and over.

The only workaround was to open up the bootloader (power+volume down on power up) and erase all my data. I went through a simple setup and a simple setup + exchange again to confirm that it was indeed the Exchange account that introduced the problem.

Hopefully HTC can get this fixed soon.

I am sorry I don't have a solution, but I was wondering what exchange features (when its working) syncs? I am coming from an iphone and will be using my google voice number on the evo, so I am not quite sure which route I will take with the google contacts and exhchange contacts.

I was wondering which parts of exchange syncs because on the iphone, only contacts, mail and calendar syncs. It would be pretty nice if I could get notes, tasks, and any other function that I might not know about yet sync nicely with the evo.

Upvote 0
I ran into this with my corporate e-mail this week on a Google I/O Evo. The setup of my exchange account was painless. Just need to plug-in my e-mail, password and a device password. Exchange syncing works fine until you turn off your phone.

When you power the phone back on, it boots up to the point where the Sprint intro video plays. At that point, according to Sprint tech support, the Exchange syncing hits a snag and causes the phone to restart indefinitely...playing that same loud, annoying intro video over and over.

The only workaround was to open up the bootloader (power+volume down on power up) and erase all my data. I went through a simple setup and a simple setup + exchange again to confirm that it was indeed the Exchange account that introduced the problem.

Hopefully HTC can get this fixed soon.
crap, i ran into this too. just an endless loop. do I select recovery when in bootloader mode?

Upvote 0
Also, will Android let you sync to 2 different exchange organization accounts?

I believe this is an intentional limitation of Activesync. No device that I have come across (Apple, Versamail, Windows Mobile, Android, etc.) will allow you to setup more than one Exchange account, even in the same organization. I have Exchange 2007, so maybe it is different in 2010, but I doubt it.

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to me, but it happened to happen when I installed the update from Sprint. Guess it was activesync that did it and not the update.... interesting.

P.S. The people on my floor asked me to leave because my phone was so loud from the dumb thing constantly rebooting =)

Here are the steps to hard reset if you need to:

How to hard reset the HTC EVO 4G

We show you how to factory reset the HTC EVO 4G to clear all data and restore its original settings

The HTC EVO 4G is highly customizable and you have been hard at work tweaking it to your liking, but now the fun is over and you want to return it to its factory settings again. Here, we show you how to hard reset the HTC EVO 4G with step by step instructions.

Please note that all data will be deleted from the HTC EVO 4G as a result of this procedure. This process does NOT delete data stored on the microSD card. We recommend backing up all of your personal data before proceeding.

Turn the power off.

If your HTC EVO 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it

Hold the Volume Down button

Press and release the Power button

You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock

Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button

Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC EVO 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

Upvote 0
So, I picked up my Evo from RS at 4pm..... got everything working on it (including Exchange Activesync)..... was quite pleased with myself.... then switched the phone off and on again...... and it's stuck in the welcome video loop.... so looks like I get the joy of resetting it and having to set everything up again.

Wonderful. How to really take the shine off something

Upvote 0
Hey all-
First off, THANK YOU for the great wisdom on this page/thread, as my new EVO is in the start-loop as well (arghhh!!). I've tried to follow what i think was described for hard reset, but it's not working. I've held the power button down, and hit the down-volume button as well, but nothing happened. I then held the power button down and quickly tapped both the volume up and volume down button (essentially simultaneously), and that got the loop to stop, vibrate, and then go to the white "HTC EVO 4G" screen for about 5 seconds...only to then default to the musical intro loop again!! (Arghhh!)...could one of you wise people type out the error of my sequence. At this point, I'd LOVE to be able to even get to the hard reset screen and have an erased-data phone...i just want this loop to stop!! THANKS for your help!

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear you have the same issue as I had.

To perform the hard reset, follow these instructions exactly..

Hold the Volume Down button (And keep holding it down....)

Press and release the Power button (while you still have the volume down button held in)

You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock

Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button

Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES

I downloaded touchdown from the android market and it is working quite nicely, so if there is no quick fix over the air, I'll probably end up buying it.

Any others having the same problem ? It's weird that it only seems to happen on some exchange servers ?

Upvote 0
Thanks, SARC! Hard reset worked...just got done resetting stuff. And yes, my password was all numbers --- is there a pattern/clue to the problem??

I'm not going to re-configure my work email until i learn a bit more...so if it is a number-exclusive password issue (if that's a pattern for others out there), please post your info. Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0
I would give it a try but I just did some other experimenting with exchange activesync and I can't get my calendar to sync. It just goes round and round and eventually errors with "socket time out" Mail and Contacts sync really fast. I have calendar set to the minimum data amount, ie 2 weeks, and I don't have any huge appointments with attachments in my calendar, and I've tried syncing across WiFi and 3G and the calendar does not sync :mad:

So, in summary, moving from a Tytn II running WinMo 6.0, I now have a bigger screen but less functionality.... awesome.

Upvote 0
Havent been courageous enough to retry the exchange-sych for y work email...may wait and see what others have experienced first (but i am v.v. intrigued by the all-number password clue...maybe that's the problem after all??). If anyone has any definitive news on the all-number password issue, please let us know!

Questions: 1) has anyone tried calling Sprint to see what their tech support people have said re: all-number password and the exchange issue?...2) this is my first android, but i have seen some comments about a Touchdown app? Is this app the real deal, could it solve our issue for work email (reviews seem pretty great)?

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Outside of this major work-email/exchange issue, i havent had any big problemsw/EVO (yet).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones