• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo doesn't need root...?

ah...so tethering to one device (most likely laptop) would be free? sounds reasonable. even if it's a one-time fee.

what if sprint offered a one-time fee for hotspot? it would most likely cost more but what if they did something like that to compete with pdanet? i'm sure most people don't know about pdanet anyways...

Upvote 0
To clarify - who are you directing this at?

I think they may consider talk of rooting for tethering to be in warez/jailbreak territory. I personally do not agree with that since these devices are perfectly capable of being used in lots of different ways even if the default configuration is set to favor the carrier's branded and commercial options. Still, if that is indeed what was meant by TS's post then I will respectfully decline from expressing this opinion in the future.

edit: but re-reading this I think he may be referring to overly insulting language so maybe I am getting concerned over nothing :)

Upvote 0
Just a question here...why wouldn't people be able to write applications that bridge the same network connections that the Sprint app does? I used an app called WMWifiRouter for years that turned my WM phones into a hotspot. This was not a Sprint app and technically it wasn't supported. That didn't stop me from using it every so often when someone needed an internet connection. I stayed under the soft 5GB cap and everythinig was cool.

While I doubt it will be done right off the bat, I would put good money on someone over at XDA or elsewhere putting together an application that bridges the Wimax and Wifi network connections so that you can share out one via the other. It was done with 3G and it will be done with 4G.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
Just a question here...why wouldn't people be able to write applications that bridge the same network connections that the Sprint app does? I used an app called WMWifiRouter for years that turned my WM phones into a hotspot. This was not a Sprint app and technically it wasn't supported. That didn't stop me from using it every so often when someone needed an internet connection. I stayed under the soft 5GB cap and everythinig was cool.

While I doubt it will be done right off the bat, I would put good money on someone over at XDA or elsewhere putting together an application that bridges the Wimax and Wifi network connections so that you can share out one via the other. It was done with 3G and it will be done with 4G.

Yes, anything is possible, just takes time to figure it out. There are NO, I repeat, NO 100% foolproof/hackproof computer systems in existence. Just deterrents and counter measures. At least until the quantum processor comes into fruition, but thats a whole other can of worms.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones