Exchange Email Format - No HTML?Support

Last Updated:

1. relampagos

relampagos New Member This Topic's Starter

When using the Exchange ActiveSync mail, I'm trying to enable the HTC Incredible to view e-mail in HTML format.

I've gone to Settings --> Send & Receive... but the "Message Format" option is greyed out and not enabled.

I then tried switching the "Mail size limit" from 10KB to "Entire Mail" as one user suggested for the HTC Hero on Sprint - but that didn't seem to work either.

I've also seen in places that Exchange 2007 or 2010 is required to get HTML email... we're about to upgrade, but we're currently on Exchange 2003 - so that could be the cause of the issue for whatever reason.

Has anyone had any luck with this on the HTC Incredible?

Advertisement
  2. sortsol

sortsol Active Member

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that Exchange 2003 activesync will only send plain text when syncing with mobile devices.... If you want a source, then it could take a while. I can't remember where I read it.... Sorry.

3. $incere

$incere Member

You're 100% correct. Exchange 2003 is the culprit. Once your company upgrades to 2007 or better you're be reading emails in all it's HTML glory.

4. benjamin7062

benjamin7062 Well-Known Member

The iPhone will view HTML email with Exchange 2003 SP2. Thus, the server supports it. Not sure why/how that would change on 2007 for the built in HTC client?

5. mark959022

mark959022 Well-Known Member

My phone works great using active sync. I have exchange email with godaddy and it is fairly inexpensive. The emails come through in html format and look a lot better then they did on my Tour.

6. relampagos

relampagos New Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah... that's really what I don't understand. A few people at my company have the iphone and can view HTML emails with no problem - and supposedly the iphone uses ActiveSync too. So... maybe it is an HTC thing - either way, as along as it's fixed for Exchange 2007 or 2010, I guess that's alright.

7. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

8. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

...and FYI some free exchange services like mail2web don't push html in the free version.

9. gmauser71

gmauser71 Member

I have this same issue, we are running Exchange 2003 SP2. Html would be nice!

10. gmauser71

gmauser71 Member

I actually downloaded touchdown for exchange and now have html on my incredible. We are running Exchange 2003 SP2, so it looks like the stock activesynch doesnt support it? Doesnt look like an Exchange issue to me.

11. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Must be implementation difference in 2003sp2 and 2007.

12. griffmac12

griffmac12 New Member

I think we are moving to 2007 in the next couple of months but Exhange 2003 is not the problem. I got HTML email on my iphone.

13. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

EAS is a little problematic with E2k3 depending on the app. I know Touchdown will work retrieving html mail but you might need to play around with the HTC mail app in order to get it to work. Once you move to E2k7 the problems usually go away. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the email account if the option is grayed out.

14. jasoraso

jasoraso Well-Known Member

I came from Windows Mobile - and it didn't support HTML over ActiveSync from Exchange 2003 either. I think that Android must be using the same protocols as ActiveSync, rather than a custom protocol like the iphone. Get them to upgrade Exchange Server!!! :)

When I upgraded my windows mobile phone software to a version that supported HTML emails, I actually switched Exchange providers (from Sherweb.com to 1and1.com) (I used a privately hosted Exchange service) because my original provider was still using Exchange 2003 and I wanted HTML, which needed Exchange 2007.

15. geeknizer

geeknizer Member

Someone seems to have hacked samsung apk to make it compatible with all phones. It has full html with in-line replies, forwards