• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Exchange FAQ, Solutions, and summary

Not sure if this has been tossed around here yet:

I had no luck setting up email sync with our Exchange 2003, due to authentication setup. I've now had great success with Touchdown (from NitroDesk $10). Might want to peek at it if you are banging your head against the wall. Does contacts and calendar, too.

Also - K-9 mail does just the emai sync and is easy to setup. No calendar or contacts though.

Good luck -

Matt

Upvote 0
I've tried everything to include the OWA address in the server name and nothing is working.

We have an issue with our cert on the Exchange server. Is it possible that is the cause of why I can't connect to the exchange server? I've tried all the SSL options and every variation of them but nothing is working.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I've tried everything to include the OWA address in the server name and nothing is working.

We have an issue with our cert on the Exchange server. Is it possible that is the cause of why I can't connect to the exchange server? I've tried all the SSL options and every variation of them but nothing is working.

Thanks
Certificate issues will cause problems with your connection. Is your firm using self-signed certs? Does your IT dept require SSL?

Upvote 0
All anyone needs to do to sync email with the corporate account is get the address for OWA (used so employee can check email when away from work) You walk through the email setup choosing exchange and enter the owa address in the server field. This works with no issue for email sync. I get emails within seconds of them being sent. My calander also syncs with no issues. Sure you can not accept meeting invite yet however when they are accepted on the computer they are then sent to the calendar on the droid.

Thanks! Just what I was looking for... Works great now. Don't know why this isn't mentioned many places. I had been trying to use the "real" exchange server.

Upvote 0
Curious if anyone can describe the touchdown experience. how well integrated with the phone is it? from looking at the feature set, it seems to bidirectionally sync with the onboard contacts app (making its seperate data set mostly seamless). How about calendaring - meeting invites (creation/accept/decline/updates), reminders, etc. I'm hoping touchdown can fill the gap, but am leery.

ahm

Upvote 0
Hey everyone,

First off, thank you so much for this great information. You've all been super helpful and I *really* appreciate it. I finally was able to set up one of my exchange work accounts (after 3 days of back and forth with Verizon tech people in store and over the phone who were all useless...). So Big thanks! :D

So now my questions:

1) Just like avaleri510, I am in search of verification that you do not need the $45 plan to access exchange email. I went to the link provided by virtus at Verizon Wireless Sync | WSYNC.COM and clicked on "pricing" for wireless sync but it still advertises it as $45. Can someone please give me the specific URL which lists the fine print stating that $45 is for the "software/service layer that either provides an exchange server for those who don't have one or provides a software syncing layer for those who don't know how to set it up on their own"?

2) This may be more of a Verizon question, but maybe someone would know. If I don't sign up for the $45 data plan but am using Exchange mail, will Verizon suddenly slap a surcharge on my bill? They can't really detect that I'm using Exchange mail, or can they?

3) Many of you praised the app Touchdown. If I'm using it for Exchange mail, can I still stay on the $30 plan? Are there other apps that are similar to Touchdown but free (I know about the 5-day trial and it's only 10$, but I'm a poor grad student!)?

Sorry if these questions are rather elementary. I just converted from the Tmobile BB curve to this Droid beauty (and yes, I am a girl obsessing over the Droid!) so I'm still learning all there is to learn about the wonderful Android 2.0. :)

Thanks so much in advance!!!
Grace

Upvote 0
Can anyone confirm that you don't need the 45 dollar data plan to get Corporate email through activesync and Exchange? When I was buying the phone Verizon has changed the data plan from BB data plan to smartphone and BB data plan. Also I have read about 6 different articles that contradict each other.

I had the same concern... What I was told is that if you use OWA then you can use the $30 plan but if you have to connect directly to your exchange server (I don't know what they were talking about) then you need the $45 plan. I switched to the $30 plan a few months back and it still works great.

If for some reason it doesn't work for you, then change back, nothing lost.

Upvote 0
All anyone needs to do to sync email with the corporate account is get the address for OWA (used so employee can check email when away from work) You walk through the email setup choosing exchange and enter the owa address in the server field. This works with no issue for email sync. I get emails within seconds of them being sent. My calander also syncs with no issues. Sure you can not accept meeting invite yet however when they are accepted on the computer they are then sent to the calendar on the droid.

One caveat...if your company has security on OWA access outside the firewall this won't work. Ask me how I know...

My company requires a security USB key w/certificate (aka digital badge) attached to the PC for access to OWA from outside the firewall...so for me this isn't working...

Upvote 0
You don't need to pay an additional $15 for exchange access unless you have a corporate phone (provided to you by your company)...this is from Verizon directly...

Personal Droid Data Will Cost $30, Even With Exchange - Gearlog

Gearlog said:
Tuesday November 3, 2009

Personal Droid Data Will Cost $30, Even With Exchange

Okay. There's a lot of confusion going on around the Internet about the Motorola Droid's service plans. Some people are saying that if you want to connect to a Microsoft Exchange account, data will cost $45 a month instead of $30.

This is wrong.

I checked with Verizon Wireless HQ and got the official response from spokeswoman Brenda Raney. First of all, the Droid uses the exact same data plans as every Windows Mobile phone on Verizon. There is no special Droid data plan.

Second, whether you pay $30 or $45 doesn't depend on what you're doing with the phone. You can hit Exchange email on the $30 plan just fine. It depends on what kind of Verizon Wireless account you have.

If you have a personal account or family plan, your data will cost $30/month. It doesn't matter if you're using Microsoft Exchange, Facebook, Gmail, or whatever - it's $30. This is the same for all Verizon Windows Mobile and Android phones.

Data on business accounts - "corporate liable," multiple lines, purchased through business sales, usually mediated by an IT department - costs $45/month. Once again, this is the same for every Windows Mobile and Android phone.

The same goes for AT&T's iPhones, by the way. Thousands if not millions of people access Microsoft Exchange email on personal, $30/month iPhone data plans, blissfully unaware that if they were a corporate-liable business account their data plan would cost $45. Once again, it's not down to the kind of e-mail you're accessing, it's down to whether you are classed as an "individual" or a "business" in the carrier's system.

So where's the confusion been coming from? Carrier definitions of "business" and normal human definitions of "business" are different. For carriers, it doesn't matter if you're doing business. They only care if you are a business. Are you a rogue operator, a lone wolf, using a personal credit card to activate your single line of service? Then plow right ahead with your Exchange email on the $30 plan - with your Droid or your iPhone.

Upvote 0
You don't need to pay an additional $15 for exchange access unless you have a corporate phone (provided to you by your company)...this is from Verizon directly...

Personal Droid Data Will Cost $30, Even With Exchange - Gearlog

Thank you for answering this. I've found a lot of conflicting answers about this on other sites as well as from Verizon directly.

I want to share the experience I had last night when trying to switch to the $30 plan. When I called into Verizon's customer service and asked to be switched, the agent said any phones released after November 10th weren't eligible for this plan. I asked her to explain and she said it is because the Droids are more advanced and use more kilobytes. The conversation went on for about 10 minutes (I'll spare you the details).

Bottom line is it was obvious this person didn't know what she was talking about. After insisting she switch me to the $30 plan, she put me on hold for a few minutes. When she came back on the line she apologized for "misleading" me and told me I am eligible for the $30 plan (she wasn't able to offer an intelligible response when I asked her the difference between the $30 and $45 plans). She also admitted to me that the caller she had just before me had also requested the $30 plan and she had given them the same misinformation.

If anyone is given push-back when trying to switch to the $30 plan, just be persistent because apparently this is an area of tremendous confusion even for Verizon...

Upvote 0
scott,

I just turned mine back in for this same reason. My IT guy just told me to get the Touch Pro 2 as it runs Windows OS and will easily work with exchange/outlook. I'm fed up with trying to fix the problem you've encountered as well. Verizon is not helpful at all. My IT guy is stumped. And everyone here has been EXTREMELY helpful but I have not found a fix yet. I need mobile email ASAP. I cannot wait any longer.

Good luck. I'd love to know the fix if you find it.

Upvote 0
However I see none of my work email on the Droid (it doesn't seem to be being pushed to the Droid). Navigating to where it should be gives me a blank screen. In the email screen where I see the Verizon and work accounts, there is a check to the right of the Verizon band but not to the right of the work email band. Others in this company can access the Exchange server from iPhones and Blackberries.

Thanks,
-Scott

Hi Scott - do you know if your exchange server uses Sophos Puremessage for Anti-Spam/ Anti-Virus. I had the same problem as you and the following fixed it
http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/3186.html

Upvote 0
If you need rock-solid Exchange sync, the Droid is not the ideal device. It cannot sync notes or tasks, does not support anything more than basic security, does not allow you to accept/reject items, does not sync subfolders, and can't do auto-signatures. To most corporate users, the lack of these features is a deal breaker.

You can buy the Touchdown app and gain some features, but it still lags behind a true windows mobile phone or a blackberry.

The TouchPro2 is 100 times better in a corp environment. You will also find that the keyboard and tilting screen are a dream to use and the inclusion of MS Office makes the TP2 a much better corporate phone.

The droid has different strengths.

Upvote 0
icon1.gif

Data Center Outsourcing-ANS Online Co-Location Server Hosting

This is the home page for the company that hosts my corp email. Notice, that I can connect to it via Microsoft Outlook Web.

I called the IT people to ask how I could set up to push my corp mail to my Droid. They told me that I might be able to set it up as a POP3 account, and gave me the incoming and outgoing server names.

I have tried for hours to get this thing to work. I can get the incoming server to "go through" but the outgoing says that it cannot connect.

So I turn to you all, the holders of knowledge, to help me figure out if I can in fact get this thing working so that I receive my corp email on my Droid, WITHOUT paying an extra monthly fee.

Thank you so much :)

This is all the information I've received from the IT people...copied from their email
Try entering in your full email address for the Username to see if that helps. Unless ports are block by the carrier you should be able to use port 25. Port 587 is a new port that many carriers are going to so you may want to check with them which one to use.
For the incoming server use: pop.ans-online.net and for outgoing you will use: smtp.ans-online.net. There can be issues with using POP and mobile devices which is why it isn't fully supported by our technical staff. This falls outside the scope of support since it doesn't tie in directly with Exchange but it won't hurt to test it to see if it works for you. I hope this helps. "

Upvote 0
3) Many of you praised the app Touchdown. If I'm using it for Exchange mail, can I still stay on the $30 plan? Are there other apps that are similar to Touchdown but free (I know about the 5-day trial and it's only 10$, but I'm a poor grad student!)?

Thanks so much in advance!!!
Grace
Grace - you definitely DO NOT need to upgrade your data plan for Touchdown to work. As for a free app, try K-9, but it won't do calendar and tasks - just mail.

Touchdown is doing a fine job for me for all Outlook needs.

Good luck!

-Matt

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones