• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

External drive with phone

tullsterx

Lurker
Jan 19, 2010
I want to use my phone to connect to a piano/keyboard that I use, an Alesis Fusion. The Fusion is recognized as an external drive when I attach it to my PC and I can backup or copy new sounds, etc, to the keyboard. . . so, what do I need to do to get an external drive to be recognized from my phone so that I might download info with my phone and then load it onto my keyboard, which is pretty much and external drive. . . which could be ultra cool. Is this possible?

Used to be USB had different chips depending on if it was a host or device. So your computer had the host chip and your mouse/keyboard/phone/storage etc all have the device chip inside it. You couldn't connect a device to a device or a host to a host because the hardware wasn't designed to allow that.
I've seen small devices that had a small cpu with a pair of host usb chips to allow to copy data from one device to another, haven't ever tried them myself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones