• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook for Android updates for the preinstalled version on the Desire

There should be a feature of the Facebook app where you can select individual friends to be added to phone contacts. The current all-or-nothing approach is completely redundant and unworkable, unless you only have a small number of FB friends who you communicate with anyway. 1450 of my 1500 FB friends are for games, I don't need/want them in my phone book.

Upvote 0
I don't know what the sync contacts option is supposed to do because Facebook for HTC Sense already performs this task, so I can't see what effect the Facebook app's option is having.

You still can't tag people in photos.

I really hate the random images at the bottom, what a pointless and annoying feature. Why didn't they make it optional.

Upvote 0
don't know how relevent this is but just wondered how many agreed with me...

the latest update i got today is rubbish!

they've put some picture scroller along the bottom which is totally irrelevant imo and made all the icons smaller and look messy.

I wish that they'd work on these updates which i feel we all want:

1. ability to tag photos

2. push notifications

3. chat

I'm not expert but i dont know why definately 1 and 2 cannot be done. I currently have to run Bloo as well just to get notifications which is great but that app is also not great for general use.

3 may be a bit harder but i had it on my iphone facebook app and there are things such as ebuddy so surely it can't be that hard??

hope im not being totally naive here

Upvote 0
Does the option to only sync contacts currently on phone work then?

If I sync contacts currently on phone I get an error message when I try and view my FB friends using the new app, and my phone contacts remain the same. Changing back to sync nobody lets me see my full FB friend list again.

I've been messing around with FB apps and contact management for the last 4 weeks and nothing really does what I would like it to do, i.e. the ability to link my phone contacts with their Facebook profile through the FB app, and add certain selected FB friends to my phone contacts.

Ultimately, what I want is a list of people (from phone contacts and FB) that appear on FriendStream and FB Newsfeed, without all the additional Facebook friends I have just for games. Right now this doesn't seem to be possible.

Upvote 0
I wish that they'd work on these updates which i feel we all want:

1. ability to tag photos

2. push notifications

3. chat

I'm not expert but i dont know why definately 1 and 2 cannot be done. I currently have to run Bloo as well just to get notifications which is great but that app is also not great for general use.

3 may be a bit harder but i had it on my iphone facebook app and there are things such as ebuddy so surely it can't be that hard??

hope im not being totally naive here

Agree with you on all point, this is what the app needs to compete with the iPhone version.

1) tagging isn't essential but it would be a nice feature and can see no reason why it's not available.

2) This is a must, the fact it's still not available is shocking. I get push updates for messages/events, why not everything else?

3) chat, another lazy omission.

Overall I'm pleased with the update, it's certainly the best version yet and I like the new layout but notifications directing you to the web version is lame and there are still some simple features which need added, namely those listed above.

Maybe the rumours about facebook being in bed with apple are true

Upvote 0
Hmmm.

I have managed to sync about half of my friends profile pics to my contacts but the rest i cant, doesn't give me the option to because it only brings up half my friends list :/ WTF is that all about?!?!

I was thinking that maybe its because that certain facebook friend has blocked this sort of activity from within there facebook account>security settings? Maybe, don't know but really would like to know because its quite annoying me atm.

Upvote 0
I might be being thick but here goes..on the previous app on HTC desire when using the facebook widget, pressing the menu button would give an option to go the 'home' page with messages, friends etc. Now with the new facebook app there seems to be no way to access the 'home' page from the widget itself but to go through the app. Has anyone else come across this?

Upvote 0
I might be being thick but here goes..on the previous app on HTC desire when using the facebook widget, pressing the menu button would give an option to go the 'home' page with messages, friends etc. Now with the new facebook app there seems to be no way to access the 'home' page from the widget itself but to go through the app. Has anyone else come across this?

You're right, the 'home' button accessed via the menu is gone, but if you hit the facebook logo at the top it takes you to the home screen.

Upvote 0
I installed the latest update and 2bh all was ok until this afternoon.

Previously when I had a new notification ie. a comment - I click on the notification and it would take me directly through my browser to the 'Mobile version' (m.facebook.com/) of facebook where i can instantly respond to that comment.

Now I go to the naff facebook touch version (touch.facebook.com/ )

Any ideas how I point it back to the mobile version? :thinking:

I have reverted to version 1.2.0, Android 2.2's native version, because I didn't like it constantly loading the random images across the bottom of the home screen and I couldn't see an option to disable this annoying feature.

How do I get the previous version please?

Upvote 0
Is anyone else having issues with linking to posts. If I get a notification that someone has commented on a post I commented on and I click on it, it often takes me to a "incorrect URL error page" or it asks me to sign in to the touch site - which I am already signed into if I access it via the web browser.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones