• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Facebook not linking contacts?

coldfuzion

Dec 18, 2010
So i was looking in my phone tonight and realized none of my facebook contacts are in here anymore... Its a rooted EVO running the regular facebook app (not facebook for HTC sense)

I just tried adding a link to facebook and it took me to a screen where I could manually search for a FB contact to link with a phone contact, but when I search, nothing shows up... Not really sure where to start here... I can't get the facebook for HTC sense app back (nor do I really want it unless its necessary to link contacts or something...)

Update- this seems to have something to do with the fact that FB for htc sense disappeared when I rooted my phone... now the question is... why does it still reference it (i.e. "facebook for htc sense" and "facebook" are both in the list of things you can sync accounts with, but I can't for the life of me FIND the stupid thing (so i'd assume that was one of the 'bloatware" apps it deleted when I installed the FreshEVo rom...

Edit- I'm flashing a different ROM, hopefully that'll fix it...

Upvote 0
Im having the same synching issue. My phone has not synched for a few weeks with facebook. Same happened on my hero. I tried deleting cache but that didnt help.

Have you changed anything recently? Is your phone rooted? If so, have you flashed any ROMs?

If you go to menu->settings->Accounts & Sync, then select Facebook for HTC Sense, do you have whatever items you want synced checked? Your options are live feed and contacts. If they are checked, what do you see for the date under each item? That will be the last time each one was synced. Select the option at the top for account settings. How often is is set to sync? If you go back one, you can force it to sync with the button that says "sync now". Give it a few minutes to actually download everything, and see if it starts syncing on it's own after that. You might also have to reboot after doing that.

Upvote 0
Okay, just noticed that my contacts aren't linked to their Facebook account anymore, but I have absolutely no clue how that ended up happening. I'm figuring it must've been one of the days that I got a "out of memory" notification and cleared something out to take the notification away.

Anyhow, did anybody find a resolution on how to re-link the contacts? I'm not rooted, so I'm hoping there's an easy solution to this (other than hard-resetting and starting over).

Upvote 0
Okay, just noticed that my contacts aren't linked to their Facebook account anymore, but I have absolutely no clue how that ended up happening. I'm figuring it must've been one of the days that I got a "out of memory" notification and cleared something out to take the notification away.

Anyhow, did anybody find a resolution on how to re-link the contacts? I'm not rooted, so I'm hoping there's an easy solution to this (other than hard-resetting and starting over).

Are you using Facebook or Facebook for Sense?

Upvote 0
Are you using Facebook or Facebook for Sense?

I only had Facebook for Sense linked to Contacts. When I noticed that the Facebook accounts weren't linking to the individual contacts, I clicked on Contacts for the regular Facebook to sync contacts as well, but that didn't do anything.

I wish I had paid attention to see if this was happening, prior to Gingerbread, so I couldn't even say if it was the Gingerbread upgrade.

Upvote 0
I only had Facebook for Sense linked to Contacts. When I noticed that the Facebook accounts weren't linking to the individual contacts, I clicked on Contacts for the regular Facebook to sync contacts as well, but that didn't do anything.

I wish I had paid attention to see if this was happening, prior to Gingerbread, so I couldn't even say if it was the Gingerbread upgrade.

Hmm I see. The reason I asked is that I am pretty sure that google disabled Facebook syncing in Gingerbread (read it somewhere, can't remember where) but Facebook for Sense still works. Not sure why it isn't working.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Hmm I see. The reason I asked is that I am pretty sure that google disabled Facebook syncing in Gingerbread (read it somewhere, can't remember where) but Facebook for Sense still works. Not sure why it isn't working.

Ohhh...I see. I really don't want to hard reset if I don't have to because there are a couple apps that I can't get back (e.g. no longer in the market and not transferable to SD card for backup). I'm going to try removing my facebook account and then linking it again. Hopefully that'll fix it.

Upvote 0
sikclown's info helped me resolve my issue. Since Google disabled the "other" facebook link, that must've been preventing my contacts from being able to sync with their respective facebook accounts.

I removed the account for facebook and facebook for htc sense. Then, I put the account back in and BAM...all of their accounts linked up again. Crazy why it did that, but seems to be resolved from what I could see.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones