• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Factory reset ?

Hi.

Yes, but as you'll be "resetting" the phone you will lose root.

No, that is not correct. A factory reset clears user data and settings, including things like your google login, contacts, and downloaded "market" apps. It does not alter the system software (including preinstalled apps), however. There is no way that it can turn one ROM into a different ROM.

Does that mean to unroot we can just factory reset and not have to go through the unrooting steps if we need to send our phone in for repair?

No. See above - you need to return the phone to the stock system software, recovery boot, and bootloader (in some cases).

bcltoys - the "factory reset" which occurs on a rooted phone is similar to what happens on a stock phone, in the sense that it clears settings and data back to a blank slate, but it leaves the system software and preinstalled apps untouched - kind of as if you had just installed the same ROM. The other thing which does not happen with a phone that has a custom recovery installed is that the phone activation also does not get cleared.

HTH,

eu1

Reactions: bcltoys
Upvote 0
Well i wanted to do the reset to see if it would bring back my signal bars but it did not I know to look in settings for my rssi but not having the bars is annoying.

Hi bcltoys. Please read ErisUser1's post to you carefully; that's the straight scoop on what needs to be done.

As far as the signal bars, are you experiencing poor signal with calls, etc, or are you just not seeing bars there even though the phone is working fine? Going through unrooting and then a factory data reset just to avoid an annoyance is a choice you may make, but I would not. ;)

The signal bar display may or may not improve with a reset, we're seen varying reports on success with that.

If it's poor call quality (dropped or missed calls, etc) then the reset is still an iffy attempted remedy, but I'd do it in that situation just to be sure.

Be sure to look at:

http://androidforums.com/474953-post1.html

in:

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...ated-links-updated-oct-1-2010-4-44pm-est.html

and then, once back to stock, go to menu > settings > privacy > factory data reset.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones