• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Failed jelly bean upgrade

wftomlin

Sep 21, 2012
I have a galaxy 2 10.1 (P5113). Today, it started an upgrade - I'm assuming to jelly bean. It got to 24% and stopped, then closed. Later when I turned it on, I got a message saying the upgrade had failed and to try with kies. This was a Christmas present, so I'm just getting familiar with the tablet. My s3 phone upgraded with no problems a week ago.

What do I need to do to upgrade?

Thanks

This is a stock tablet, not rooted.

Samsung web site, download Kies to PC, connect Tab to PC per the instructions in Kies with USB cable and download JB to Tab thru Kies. Make sure battery is charged to at least 60 or 70% as it takes awhile to load and then to install.

Kies takes awhile to install on PC as it is a bit bloated (IMHO or course) but it works. Whenever I do use Kies, I usually uninstall it from the PC after I've finished using it as it tends to want to stay in the start menu no matter how much I do to remove it. Each time I restart the PC it seems to reinsert itself into the start menu no matter how much I remove it from config.sys.

Upvote 0
Samsung web site, download Kies to PC, connect Tab to PC per the instructions in Kies with USB cable and download JB to Tab thru Kies. Make sure battery is charged to at least 60 or 70% as it takes awhile to load and then to install.

Kies takes awhile to install on PC as it is a bit bloated (IMHO or course) but it works. Whenever I do use Kies, I usually uninstall it from the PC after I've finished using it as it tends to want to stay in the start menu no matter how much I do to remove it. Each time I restart the PC it seems to reinsert itself into the start menu no matter how much I remove it from config.sys.

Somewhere in the KIES program (options or settings) you can deselect "start with windows or PC ". That will stop it starting with Win. I fully agree KIES is bloated and slows a PC down

Upvote 0

Thanks! Worked like a charm :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones