• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [FAQ]ROOT MEMORY: a2sd+ / partitions (updated 10th August 2011)

Reactions: Eris Ed
Upvote 0
Added the bold text below:

How do I get it?

You need to go through a rooting procedure (unrevoked recommended) and install a custom rom which has support for a2sd+

You can also flash it separately onto any rom providing it has init.d support.

You can download the Dark Tremor Beta here

Pretty much all custom roms have init.d support but stock roms do not. If you want to add init.d support (running scripts at start up [initialisation - hence "init"]) you will have to do this

-------------------------------

I have got Dark Tremor a2sd and my internal memory is smaller than expected

Dark Tremors latest a2sd script does not move Dalvik cache by default as before. You need to download "terminal Emulator" from the market and run it.

Type "su" and press enter
Type "a2sd cachesd" and press enter.

The desire will reboot and you will see a big chunk of additional free space on your internal memory

-------------------------------

Are there other options when rooted?

Yes, titanium backup can move all apps to SD card, however again, this is not on a partition so has many shortfalls.

Also some custom ROMS allow the default installation location to be changed to external media, but this is the same as titanium.

There is something called data2sd which will allow you to move your entire /data partition to EXT. This is still in its infancy and does not work on all init.d roms. Read about it here

Upvote 0
OK, I'm a noobie, and I'm getting a little lost - only had the phone 2 weeks. Rooted it and running custom rom Oxygen 1.0.4. Have a 16GB sd card and been moving my apps onto there. OK, I was chuffed at this point and thought that's all there was to it.

Then I started reading threads about creating an EXT partition that would allow all apps to be moved including widgets etc, and that these should always run and be available to the phone as the ext partition is always available to it as it's not mounted as a drive when you plug in to a PC. So I though OK, now this is a better way to go. I backed up my card, created an EXT partition and reformatted the remainder. Had a look at the sd-ext partition and it is being used, I have app, app-private dalvik-cache and lost+found on there, with 55mb of apps in the app folder. Great I thought, all working.

Problem I have is that I'm not sure installed apps are installing to the card by default, app2sd still gives alerts showing apps can be moved. Also I tried moving beautiful widgets to the sd card and it won't load, fine if I move it back.

So I'm not sure now I have this setup working fine, if I need to do something else to get it fully working or if I was just expecting it to do more than it is.

Upvote 0
OK, thanks for that - just to add it was apps2sd that popped the alert up saying the program could be moved so I just accepted it, I didn't use the manage apps move to sd card option.

So what you are saying is that if apps2sd says a program can be moved, you ignore it.

I wasn't sure if I'd done things in the wrong order and that was causing a problem. I had already flashed a rom and wasn't sure if it disabled something apps2sd needed as the card was not partitioned at the time of install.

Everything seemed to be working until I accepted apps2sd's offer to move beautiful widgets. When that didn't work I assumed I had a problem.

If I am understanding things correctly, the phone sees the ext partition as an extension to the internal memory and just gets on with making it all work without having to intervene.

Upvote 0
Hi folks, trying to use GParted to create a partition on my sd card before I install a ROM.... running into a problem after following the instructions below:
Properly Partition SD Card For App2SD+ Android ROMs

Im getting to the step 7 and looks ok, only when i try to complete step 8, I cant do the step in bold below as the option is greyed out and unclickable...

1. 8: Similarly create another new partition in the unallocated space but set this one as

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones