• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Fast draining battery....

ralbertina

Nov 27, 2010
Looking for any help or advice dealing with a fast battery drain. I runnning Cyanogen mod7 on a Droid incredible. Up until last week, had great batterylife and performance. Now, my battery drains within 4 hours, with little to no use of the phone. Through <Applications> <Battery Use> I can see that Mediaserver and Media are using 70+% of the battery. Phone is continuosly hot which seems to indicate a program is running in the background. Last program I used before this started happening was QQPlayer to view a movie. I'm not sure if it's this application or another what application(s) running in the background that is causing the continous drain on the battery. I know it's not the battery as I've swapped out batteries with my wife's phone with the same result. Is there away to determine and shut the programs down? Thank you in advance for any help with this question.

It appears "media server" and "media" are the two programs running continuously in the background. These are both Android programs. Any thoughts on how best to reset these two programs other than a hard reboot band loosing my program and screen customizations? I am running cyanogen mod7 on an Dinc phone. Ray

Upvote 0
Idk if you have this on your phone, but this is how it's done on mine:
Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Find the applications and force close them
OR
Settings>Applications>Running Services>Find application and end it. (I've never done it this way, so I'm not 100% sure if it will work. Try the first one first)

Upvote 0
It appears "media server" and "media" are the two programs running continuously in the background. These are both Android programs. Any thoughts on how best to reset these two programs other than a hard reboot band loosing my program and screen customizations? I am running cyanogen mod7 on an Dinc phone. Ray

I believe they are supposed to be running in constantly. They are necessary (atleast I know media is) for the phone to play ringtones and notification sounds. You should install system panel, or something similar, to see if they are actually using any CPU while in the background. If they aren't, leave them alone, they are not the cause of your problems.

Upvote 0
If your phone didn't come with a manufacturer app killer, try advanced app killer on the marketplace to get a good look at whats running in the background.

Go with system panel (also on the market), it's designed to be monitoring program. ATK isn't, and gives you far too little information to figure out. And apps are SUPPOSED to be running in the background. Assuming all those apps are properly "sleeping" it will actually SAVE you battery life, since they aren't actually running, they are just sitting in the RAM that would otherwise be wasted. That way when that app gets launched, instead of loading the whole app from scratch there is an initialized copy sitting in RAM ready to go. Making it quicker for the user, and saving the power that would have been needed to run the cpu to load the app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones