• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite Android/Optimus V Apps - List Yours

That's impossible without knowing what you need.
I will advice you to stay away from task killers, and battery savers (The Newer Android OS's don't need them). Instead install a widget app that will allow you to control the WiFi, 3G, Bluetooth, GPS, and Auto Sync without having to keep digging into the settings menu. Then turn everything off until you need it. Turn the screen brightness down low enough so you can still see the screen.
When I leave the phone on (screen off) and turn off everything mentioned, I can go to bed with 100% battery and wake up with 100% battery.
Other than that it's "what every floats your boat".
Maybe you could post what kind of functions you would like an app to perform and we can start with that.

Well? and the name of the app is... :thinking:

Reactions: gmailcsmc
Upvote 0
link2sd
hoho launcher - makes 2.2 look like JB. Highly recommend.
Roku - if you have a roku box this is the app to have, turns your phone into a roku remote.
CamCard - takes pics of business cards and automatically adds them into your contact list. Works really well.
Agile lock Free - best unlock screen.
IPwebcam - Allows you to turn your phone into a wireless webcam over wifi or 3g.
Shazam - I could never figure out the name of a song untill I got Shazam.
SetCPU - lets me tell my phone when the cpu should be working with lower power and when it needs to be working as hard as it can.
Teamviewer - need to get to your desktop while you are away from home, you can do it from your smartphone. You can have other people install this and if thye are having problems, you can log into their computers and fix what ever is wrong from where ever you are. I installed it on my moms computer and she is always having problems. I just log on from my phone and fix her computer. Easy as pie.
LCD Density modder - allows me to change the LCD Density to something better than stock.
Go SMS Pro - so much better than the stock text message app.
Superuser Elite - everyone knows what that is.

There are others, but these are the ones that if I could only have a few apps, they would be the ones who get a place on my phone.

Upvote 0
I enjoyed reading the 1st couple of pages, but it's time to make dinner, so here's my $0.02:

Meridian (Music player - until the day I write my own, I stopped looking once I found this, bec it played my MP3 collection in exactly the same order as my PM3 player did !)

Ultrachron (talking stopwatch+timer)
WiFI On/Off (enable/disable WiFi w/ a single touch)
KPLU, WBGO (streaming music apps for the best jazz radio stations in the world)
FoxFi (tethers your phone via WiFi, effectively becomes a router w/ WPA2 - must download the app itself from the author's site - Google Play has a $6.79 key download for unlimited use !)

I've resisted downloading as many apps as others on this thread, as this screen is just too damn small. However, I'm considering a Samsung GS II next year and that will change everything. I will close by saying that this little VM670 (my 1st smartphone) has served me very, very well and is the best phone I've ever used....

Upvote 0
2/16/2012: I would also suggest getting these free apps from the Playstore. Android Assistant+18 by Aaron, File Manager by Rhmsoft, Clean Master, and if your device is rooted, DroidWall.

Android Assistant has a lot of useful tools including an app backup and app to SD card utility.

File Manager is a very good app with no time limit like some other free file managers have.

DroidWall (for rooted devices only) is a nice little 'firewall' app that does not have any 'permissions. It lets you "whitelist/deny" internet access for any installed app. Works great! Especially useful for people who have limited data plans.

Clean Master cleans up caches and old unused data from your device.

Upvote 0
The must have rooted user apps.
1. Titanium Backup. For saving apps and there data plus a lot more.

2. Root Uninstaller. Saves all app apk's to folder on SD card. Apks versions can not be deleted by an update of app. Great if you get an update of an app and it's borked.
You can also pull apk's out of folder and put on root of SD card and install. Great for installing Titanium Backup after a fresh ROM install but no WiFi and slow 3G.

3. Root Browser light. The best free root file manager.

4. Kinetoo. Best antivirus app with the ability to scan not just apps, but all files on phone (need to be plugged in to charger as it takes as long as a full system scan on a regular computer).

5. LBE Privacy Guard. Control what permissions an app can have. Allow prompts if app wants to do anything.
You would be amazed at just what some of these apps can do. Make phone calls, edit contacts, etc.

6. ROM Manager. That's right, your not seeing things. As long as you don't use it to just flash a recovery to the V or download the 2 Gingerbread ROMs in the download list, then ROM Manager is a pretty amazing app. You can manage your backups (even rename them), backup current ROM ( name it, then it will back it up, then boot back to ROM), make automatic scheduled backups of ROM, and more. For more info check the All Things Root sub-forum stickies.

8. Fast reboot. The safest way to gain back RAM used by apps that don't need to be running.

9. Android System Info.

10. OS monitor.

11. Phone Explorer.

12. Periodic Auto Sync. Allows you to turn on Sync at scheduled intervals (saves battery juice).

13. AFV (Android File Verifier). Allows you to check the md5 sum of a download as well as generate one from a zip you created.

14. Clipbot. It allows you to save multiple copies to clipboard. I saved as many as 20 URL's (links to pics at Photo Bucket) and pasted all at once in a thread. Great when your helping someone in a thread and need to post multiple links..

15. SD Maid. For a real deep clean.

16. For those that need more space.....Link2SD.

For non rooted users and rooted users alike:
1. 3G Connection Fix Free.

2. Antennas. See where nearest tower is located.

3. GPS Status.

4. Network Tester. See if the network is really working and if it's connecting to the web.

5. outSSIDer. Use it to connect to any open network with just a push of a button. Instead of having to dig into system settings and selecting network, etc.

6. WiFi Radar. Home into an open WiFi signal. Gives you all WiFi signals, weather open or secure, and there direction relative to you.

7. WiFi analyzer. Gives you the strength, name, etc. of WiFi signals.

8. Password Book. Save passwords to sites with this password protected app.

9. TV.com. Works flawlessly on a WiFi connection to watch all sorts of CBS and The C W shows, Plus old shows like Star Trek, The Love Boat, Hawaii Five O, Dynasty, Family Ties, Perry Mason, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones