• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite Apps for the HTC EVO 4G LTE

Anyone else use this yet? I am usually hesitant to use something that's only been downloaded a total of 100 times and has 6 total reviews...

I bought the Bedbuzz app a few days ago because alarm clock extreme was crashing a lot. Bedbuzz is a cool alarm. I like that it will wake you up by name and give the time and current temperature. I have had several crashes and force closes with it unfortunately. Even overslept twice because of it. But now this morning it seemed to work fine. I paid for the full version, but can't seem to figure out how to add an RSS feed so it I will read the news when it goes off.

Upvote 0
I haven't tried Lama.

I suggest that you try going to the Tasker app on the market, then from there going to the developer's website. On that website there is a trial version of the app (one or two weeks). That way you can give it a shot and decide for yourself whether it would be over your head without paying anything.

You could also consider Locale. It works like Tasker, but it's much more user friendly, but also much more expensive (Locale requires paid plugins in order to gain the same functionality that is included in Tasker).

This is slightly off topic for this thread... But I have what I think are pretty simple needs for automation & am just wondering if anyone else has used an automation app for these same things? Here's what I want to be able to do (without rooting, & as cheap as possible, lol):
1) Control sounds by my location (mute ringers & all external sounds but have calls & texts vibrate) when I'm at work, and have all sounds on normally at home (currently I use Timeriffic for this but I want it controlled by location so when I work overtime it still keeps my phone quiet; trying Llama but would like one app that does all of these things instead of multiple apps, if possible)
2) Turn wifi on when I get home and off when I leave for work
3) Turn off that blasted camera shutter sound when I open the camera and turn sound back on when I close the camera

Thanks to CriticalCritic for mentioning Tasker has a free trial, it's apparently 7 days so I'll give that a try next but I'm a little scared it'll be too complex for me, guess I'll be finding out ;)

Reactions: CriticalCritic
Upvote 0
I tried out Tasker for a couple hours today and I was able to replicate what I saw on youtube, since the videos I watched walked you through, step by step - but some of the stuff I tried to do on my own didn't work the way I expected & knowing I had only a week to figure it out or pay for it was stressing me out a little. I think Tasker is overkill for me so I'm back to playing with Llama (which is free), it's much simpler to use than Tasker for someone like myself :p. Setting up location based profiles in Llama seems fairly easy, I haven't figured out yet if I can silence the camera shutter through Llama but my first priority was to deal with the home/work profile changes based on location and not just time, and that seems to be working so I'm a mostly happy camper.

Llama actually seems like a pretty cool alternative to Tasker but it's surprising it's not as well heard of considering it's free & simpler to use. I also found a nice thread on AF where people have posted some examples of how they're using it.

Edit: I'm REALLY liking Llama, I've set up a ton of stuff and everything seems to be working - I even figured out a way to silence the camera shutter and I set up some other cool automation stuff I didn't know I was missing :D

Upvote 0
I'm not sure where the best place is for this, but I saw in another thread that the SwiftKey keyboard is on sale right now for .99.

I tried the free trial before and in general I prefer Swype (I like sliding to type :p) but for .99 I just bought SwiftKey too so I can play with it more & have it as another option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones