• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Few questions before i make my purchase

xopher

Lurker
Aug 17, 2010
I recently visited a store and they introduced me to this monster. I was very pleased by what the sales rep had to say so i decided to look into purchasing one this coming saturday. After doing some research, i knew this was going to be a choice i will not regret (purchased a few SEs without doing any research :mad:). I am planning to buy this phone without a contract then unlocking it so i can run it on my normal cellphone plan w/o a data plan. The reason behind this is because i am a full time student and i am always in a place with free wireless internet so there is no need at the moment.

Before i make this purchase, i have a few questions i would like to ask the people who have this phone or own an android phone.

Does not having camera flash really cause an issue for taking pictures? (I live in Canada so theres no way we are going to get the 4G version with the full qwerty and camera flash unless i import.)

Does browsing the web without a flash player cause any unforeseen issues (I know theres a youtube app)?

How does the GPS function on this phone work? (I was thinking about replacing my garmin with this)

Will i make certain functions in the phone useless because i don't have a data plan? (eg GPS)

What are pros and cons of having a data plan?

Are there any issues with this phone i should know about? (From what ive heard, other than lacking flash and some issue with the GPS, this phone is pretty solid)

Are there any MUST GET apps i should take a look at? (Ive been googling around and i think the taskiller, and the home one are on the top of my "to get" list)

How ill updating to android 2.2 OS work?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome :)

You might have different answers to your questions depending of what use is done of the phone.
Does not having camera flash really cause an issue for taking pictures? (I live in Canada so theres no way we are going to get the 4G version with the full qwerty and camera flash unless i import.)

This is typically a question that can lead to different answers. I do not rely on a mobile phone to take great pictures. I have a SLR for this, so I do not miss the flash, although I would love to have it. Other folks might tell you that they miss it badly. The night mode is acceptable in low light conditions, but it will never replace a real flash.

Does browsing the web without a flash player cause any unforeseen issues (I know theres a youtube app)?
Haven't met any issue so far, but if I am not mistaken, once the Galaxy S gets the Froyo update, it will be possible to get flash installed through a separate apk. I am not sure if this will require to root the phone or not.
A workaround is to use the browser Skyfire:
Skyfire 2.0 for Android | Skyfire

How does the GPS function on this phone work? (I was thinking about replacing my garmin with this)
Very honestly, I have no problems with the GPS, using Navigon. I am fully satisfied with it. But it seems that there is a GPS problem for many users with the GS:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s/104872-gps-issues.html
Good news is that Samsung commited to release a fix in September.
Samsung commits to September updates for Galaxy S GPS woes -- Engadget

Will i make certain functions in the phone useless because i don't have a data plan? (eg GPS)
You don't need a data plan for GPS unless you are using Google navigation,

What are pros and cons of having a data plan?
That depends of how you use your phone, and how much you expect to use data. Only you can really answer this. If I am using my phone mostly for voice calls, SMS, and a little bit of surfing, I will not need a flat rate for data. If I am a big web user, email user or a big user of other apps that requires data connection, a data plan could be a solution.
It also all depends of what is the cost of data for you if you do not have a flat rate. You have to estimate it and see what is the cost with your operator.

Are there any issues with this phone i should know about? (From what ive heard, other than lacking flash and some issue with the GPS, this phone is pretty solid)

Are there any MUST GET apps i should take a look at? (Ive been googling around and i think the taskiller, and the home one are on the top of my "to get" list)
Too long to answer to these two questions.
I would advise you to browse the GS section here and to browse the XDA forum as well. All people have different needs, there is no "top 10" list of apps that will satisfy 99% of the android users.
That is why there are so many top 10/50/100 apps list on many web sites that are different :)
I found out that I am trying lots of apps and I end up by keeping only 25% of them. Just my personal experience.

Reactions: xopher
Upvote 0
Its not entirely true that only Google Maps Navigation uses data, if you are using A-GPS it will use a tiny amount of data for each lock also. Given A-GPS lock times are astronomically quicker than non-assisted GPS locks you'll probably want to use this option. Its a tiny amount of data, but worth being aware of.

I'm also having no issues with my GPS for what its worth.

No flash in the browser is no particular issue, besides 2.2 handsets and the N900 no mobile handsets have full flash anyways (or near-full flash to be more accurate). From 2.2 onwards you'll have the option of Flash 10.1, and it won't require Root access. You can get 2.2 and Flash if you want right now too, albeit by unofficial, warranty-voiding channels...

Upvote 0
There's a free app called Mapdroyd which allows you to download free maps from the open map project and use them just like google map. Only problem I see is that this app takes longer to locate you, and it updates your location less often then google app does. But hey, it's free, and it's completely offline.

Missing a flash for the camera is a real bummer I would say, but very few phones have a true Xenon flash (even the iPhone uses a LED flash, which is more useful as a flashlight rather than a camera flash). But 720P video is Really nice~

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones