• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

File Cleaner

Rich98

Feb 22, 2018
I have an Android. I started out at 16gig of memory. I haven't added any apps and the memory available keeps declining. Like now I have 17 gig. Thought maybe it was temp files but I cleaned out that still says 17 gig. Was wondering if maybe the cleaner wasn't doing a good enough job for any noticeable difference. Is there anything I can do app wise to free up memory and or get a better temp file cleaner or phone cleaner. I currently use Zero Cleaner.

i am not very big on "cleaners". they are very much like task killers in the past. they will only drain your battery more often than not. you can always boot into recovery and wipe cache from there. there is no need for an app to do this. it will just keep running and monitoring the phone and thus drain your phone faster.

these days 1 gig of cache is not surprising. it will also depend on what apps you have as well as how many you have installed on the phone. clearing cache and having 17gigs available is not bad. are you concerned with running out of room?

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
Like @ocnbrze I am generally opposed to cleaner apps: they're usually more malware than anything useful, and there's very little for them to actually do.

Besides the risk of the app collecting your data and sending it home to someone, having additional storage available isn't making your phone run any better or faster. Imagine having a huge walk-in closet but you only need one small section for your entire wardrobe. What good would it do for you to install shelves to hold even more... or even knock out a wall to make it bigger? It's unused capacity - the key word being "unused".

The system cache is actually making your phone work better and faster by storing much of your phone's most commonly-used data for quick access. Generally, the only time I would recommend someone go into Android Recovery to wipe cache is after a major OS upgrade (from Android 12 to 13, for example) or if the phone is behaving erratically. Otherwise, an occasional restart of the phone is enough to get it working well again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones