• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root First time poster with a few questions

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I saved mikg to my desktop, im a little unclear how to load it properly.. do i drop it in the root of my evo sd card then reboot? sorry, still kinda green

no worries.
1.yes just put it on your card. go into recovery (power off then press and hold power+vol down).
2.make sure to make a nandroid backup first and make sure that you select wimax for your first nandroid backup (and when you have time save this nandroid backup to your computer and even use the cloud like dropbox).
3.wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data. also i would use superwipe as well
4.flash your rom.

to get more details on how to flash a rom please read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html. there is a how to on flashing. also read argedions guide as well.

Upvote 0
All done and already using the hotspot!! Thanks so much for the help ocnbrze,xtremedays,mizzouBrent and argedion!!!!! No way this could have happened without your help.. Thank you!!! Chris

NICE!!!!!!!
do not say that i did not warn you, but this can be addicting. so please do not blame me if you become a flashaholic like the rest of us here.:D

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
I at least want to get good enough to pay it forward at help someone as lost as i was/am.. i really only knew how to turn my phone on and make a call until now! any cool new stuff you can suggest to look at?

Keep up with the forums. Its the kewlest stuff I know :D A few of us were in the same boat you was just in and what we did was just jump in. We have the backing of the community. Read Post and see how the issues get resolved and if you see someone with similar issues just jump in and help. (Even if you can't resolve the problem, most just appreciate the fact that someone cared enough to try and help) Then next thing you know you'll have someone enter in who does know how to solve the issue and bam you both learned something.

Welcome To FREEDOM :D

Upvote 0
Hi all, thanks for all the great info on here! I have had my evo for about 8 months and would like to root but im kinda old so most of this is way over my head.

Also, the kid working at the sprint store said there is "1 click" methods for rooting which sounds more my speed but you guys are the experts I certainly trust your collective knowledge over his.
My main reason for rooting is to get the preloaded crap off MY phone that i dont seem to be able to remove.
The other reason for rooting is to use my evo for a hotspot, will this be possible?
And finally,will i be able to get the paid apps in the market free of charge?
Thanks in advance and cheers!

Welcome, fellow ROOT enthusiast!

I too am OLD and I JUST rooted mine on Monday of this week. I used the Revolutionary method after reading a lot I decided to go for it. It was - and still is (sorta) - intimidating when something isn't working as it should but something you will learn is your friend is your backups.

These people on this site are super and they are more than willing to help. I just learned today from a friend of mine HOW MUCH one can do with these rooted devises! He recommended Cyanogenmod CM7 ROM which I did flash and am learning how to negotiate around in it. This ROM actually comes standard with wifi hotspot already installed (he just showed that to me this afternoon!) and much more that I'm discovering! Neat thing about it is there are so many ROMs to choose from that we can have a 'ROM of the month' or however long and then flash a new one to try it.

BTW - "OLD" is subjective. I'm quite certain I am old enough to be many of these forum member's father! NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN is my motto :) GOOD LUCK to you man!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones