• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root First time Root

emureef

Lurker
Mar 9, 2011
Well wanna say Hi! first... and glad I can post here and get some help, always appreciate forums like these for people like me who are just starting out.

Have had my Dinc. for about 3 months or so and im just deciding now to root it... i know... i've been missing out. Actually haven't rooted it yet but after this post i shall tackle the task.

onto my questions...

What should i do after i root it? been kinda surfing and really haven't found the exact info im looking for.

Are there apps i should download?

I've read about battery recalibration... so i might look into that.

I dunno about roms yet.
When i do one do they delete everything off my phone like contacts and apps i've downloaded?

Thanks for any help anyone gives me!

What should I do after root?

1st make a backup in recovery so you have a system image of your ROM and apps the way you have it set up now. You can revert to this image in case you screw up somewhere.

You should start reading up on all the different ROM's and find one that you think will suit your needs/wants. Read here You might not even want a new ROM.

Are there any apps I should dnld?

Not just for the sake of having root apps. Again read up at XDA and figure out what ROM or not you want to try. There are a ton of root apps, but you won't know which ones you'll need until you figure out what you want to do.

You mean Reset your battery stats? That's a good idea once you find out what you want to do ROM wise

Do you have all your contacts with Google? Your gmail account? If yes they are backed up then. If no then I suggest you do this as it is fast, easy, and convenient and your contacts will re-appear after every ROM flash once you setup/sign in to gmail.

Honestly I suggest reading up on all this for about a week or so and then go to it! XDA and here are 2 great places to start and you'll know better what you are getting in to.

Upvote 0
What should I do after root?

1st make a backup in recovery so you have a system image of your ROM and apps the way you have it set up now. You can revert to this image in case you screw up somewhere.

You should start reading up on all the different ROM's and find one that you think will suit your needs/wants. Read here You might not even want a new ROM.

Are there any apps I should dnld?

Not just for the sake of having root apps. Again read up at XDA and figure out what ROM or not you want to try. There are a ton of root apps, but you won't know which ones you'll need until you figure out what you want to do.

You mean Reset your battery stats? That's a good idea once you find out what you want to do ROM wise

Do you have all your contacts with Google? Your gmail account? If yes they are backed up then. If no then I suggest you do this as it is fast, easy, and convenient and your contacts will re-appear after every ROM flash once you setup/sign in to gmail.

Honestly I suggest reading up on all this for about a week or so and then go to it! XDA and here are 2 great places to start and you'll know better what you are getting in to.

thanks for all this. i already did the back up in recovery so thats all settled.

as far as anything else ur right im gonna have to research.
and the battery thing... i dunno what i was thinking i swear i saw a website say something about battery calibration... but of course now i can't find anything on it other than reset my battery stats.

Upvote 0
thanks for all this. i already did the back up in recovery so thats all settled.

as far as anything else ur right im gonna have to research.
and the battery thing... i dunno what i was thinking i swear i saw a website say something about battery calibration... but of course now i can't find anything on it other than reset my battery stats.

Resetting battery stats is somewhat of a "calibration" I guess one would say.

Either way I believe it helps the phone communicate to the user a more accurate representation of the battery level.

Upvote 0
Resetting battery stats is somewhat of a "calibration" I guess one would say.

Either way I believe it helps the phone communicate to the user a more accurate representation of the battery level.

correct. it wont give you any better battery life,just make whatever battery widget you use more accrate. i keep meaning to,but have trouble find time for the procedure,wich is something like: wait till phone drains completely(shuts off) charge to 100%. reset battery stats. let phone die again.

i play with my phone alot,and gotta plug it in a couple times to get me thru the day :eek: maybe over the weekend i can actually drain it 100% without a couple little boosts during the day

Upvote 0
JMO but Titanium Backup and Root Explorer are must haves.

i dont use root explorer very often,but it is one that you may need on occasion.

i definately agree with titanium backup. basically,you dont want to backup system things,then restore them to different roms. especially if going from 2.2 to 2.3. some weird things will happen :eek: so basically backup apps and their data only.in the list they will be white-not red or green writing. when you flash the new rom, the market will download some to all of your apps automatically. a couple hours after its finished,you can use titanium to restore "missing apps and data" wich makes switching to new roms alot less painfull,lol. youll want to get the paid version... its well worth the $$ for the convenience it offers. another really slick feature if titanium is the ability to freeze apps and bloatware that you want to remove. this makes them invisible to the phone,like they are gone. doing this lets you run the phone for a couple days to make sure the item is not interconnected to other things and going to wreak havoc if you delete it. that way,if you have prollems,simply unfreeze it. if you dont have prollems,bo back and delete permanently.

as for other root only apps,drocap is kinda neat-it lets you take screenshots that you can keep,send via email,mms,etc. i personally use setcpu to set different profiles for processor speeds in effort to maximize battery life. last and not least the wifi tether apps are a big reason alot of folks root,since they give you the ability to use your phone as a wifi hotspot for other things(like an ipod or laptop).

Upvote 0
correct. it wont give you any better battery life,just make whatever battery widget you use more accrate. i keep meaning to,but have trouble find time for the procedure,wich is something like: wait till phone drains completely(shuts off) charge to 100%. reset battery stats. let phone die again.

i play with my phone alot,and gotta plug it in a couple times to get me thru the day :eek: maybe over the weekend i can actually drain it 100% without a couple little boosts during the day

Yeah sometimes it's not always convenient to reset batt stats. I usually try to do it after going to a completely new ROM (not after flashing newer ver of the same ROM). I turn phone off, bump charge till green, boot into recovery, reset batt stats, reboot system, and wait till booted up then unplug. Not that this is the correct way to do it as I'm sure everyone has a method to their own madness :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones