• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [FIXED!] How to get Froyo if your OTA is failing!

Tried several times and after 30 min or so, the green bar changes to red and "FAIL" pops up. Downloaded drivers etc, phone syncs nicely, all seems to download with proper colors and wording until "FAIL" occurs.

Phone will not turn on, a phone icon and computer icon pops up on the phone with a dotted line connecting then and a yellow triangle with exclamation point in the middle. Just got off the phone with useless Verizon who gave me Samsung's #. Samsung has issued an RMA to do a factroy reflash- 6 business days. This mofo is as close to bricked as you can get. Will contact a VZW store in the city tomorrow, Samsung thinks some VZW stores can do a reflash. Needless to say, I am not happy. Next phone will be an iPhone for certain. My associate is on his second, loves it, and has none of this crap to deal with. Iphone is not perfect but far better than this BS. It simply works smoothly and seamlessly. Counting down the days to new eligiblilty.

Upvote 0
II Kings

same thing with mine. got the same screen. called Verizon and they called Samsung. Verizon told me the only thing they could do was move me up to the date that I could have the discount to get a new phone. so 99.00 bucks to get another Fascinate or something like it. Verizon put me through to Samsung and they sent a rma and return shipping label. They say they will fix the phone and return it to me in 5-7 days
I could not get out of the screen like yours (computer-triangle-phone)
so I am back using my old blackberry till mine gets back from Samsung
sure not happy about the deal but then life sucks from time to time. I still wonder if I am going through all this trouble because I had mine rooted? guess it does not matter now. it's on the way to Samsung as of last Friday
at least the old blackberry still works. not as cool but I can send and receive calls

Upvote 0
II Kings

same thing with mine. got the same screen. called Verizon and they called Samsung. Verizon told me the only thing they could do was move me up to the date that I could have the discount to get a new phone. so 99.00 bucks to get another Fascinate or something like it. Verizon put me through to Samsung and they sent a rma and return shipping label. They say they will fix the phone and return it to me in 5-7 days
I could not get out of the screen like yours (computer-triangle-phone)
so I am back using my old blackberry till mine gets back from Samsung
sure not happy about the deal but then life sucks from time to time. I still wonder if I am going through all this trouble because I had mine rooted? guess it does not matter now. it's on the way to Samsung as of last Friday
at least the old blackberry still works. not as cool but I can send and receive calls
No, not b/c you're rooted. I am bone stock and unrooted- same deal- I am going to need to borrow an old phone from an acsociate at work- I sold my D1 on ebay- I am going to iPhone ASAP. SF ships out tomorow.

Upvote 0
This worked like a charm for me! I had the same error (IP_PREVIOUS_UPDATE_FAILED) when first doing the OTA update to Froyo. I researched a ton, and finally decided to backup everything (MyBackup Pro) and do a factory reset.

Right away after the factory reset, I tried to do another OTA update, and it failed with the same error! I THEN decided to follow the directions of the OP in THIS post and do the updage with ODIN. Everything worked perfectly as detailed in post #1. I then was successful in doing the OTA updates to get me to Froyo. Thanks a bunch!

Upvote 0
This worked like a charm for me! I had the same error (IP_PREVIOUS_UPDATE_FAILED) when first doing the OTA update to Froyo. I researched a ton, and finally decided to backup everything (MyBackup Pro) and do a factory reset.

Right away after the factory reset, I tried to do another OTA update, and it failed with the same error! I THEN decided to follow the directions of the OP in THIS post and do the updage with ODIN. Everything worked perfectly as detailed in post #1. I then was successful in doing the OTA updates to get me to Froyo. Thanks a bunch!

I am glad you guys are still finding this post useful and are able to get your phones on to froyo after this.

Sorry some of you that had some problems, but it seems more or less like a hardware issue with your phones itself.

BTW the screen with triangle and computer is another download screen. Some of the people with this error tried the same exact steps on another PC and were able to sucessfully flash back to D101 and apply froyo.

It is just a software brick... and most of the time you can get past it.

Upvote 0
I have tried this fix with no luck. Now my phone is stuck on a screen with a small phone a yellow exclamation and pc.......how do I get off the screen??? please help...no phone now!!!

I hate to be the one to break the news to you but it is "bricked". I had the exact same thing happen to me with the exact icons and nothing cleared it. VZW was of no help but they did give me a phone number to Samsung who promptly emailed me a UPS shipping label and indicated it would take 6 business days to fix all free of charge and free shipping. I DID NOT TELL THEM I TRIED THIS DOWNLOAD PROCESS, I SIMPLY SAID THAT IT HAPPENED WHEN I TRIED TO UPDATE TO 2.2 (WHICH IS INDEED TRUE).

The next day, SS contacted me and sent me a new phone with 2.2 already on it!

Edit: It is fixable, SS sent me an email on the old phone indicating that it was fixed and all systems were working properly so they have seen the problem before. Prior to all of this, I contacted VZW and they said they could not re flash a phone. If you have a large VZW store try going there but I would not say anything about trying to do a reflash from the SS website - not sure if that would void the warranty or not.

Upvote 0
I have tried this fix with no luck. Now my phone is stuck on a screen with a small phone a yellow exclamation and pc.......how do I get off the screen??? please help...no phone now!!!

I thought my phone was bricked also but grahxen (thread creator) calmed me down, and told me a few tips that I'm sure you can read on here. My "panic" was resolved by just using a different computer and it worked 1rst time.

Upvote 0
I thought my phone was bricked also but grahxen (thread creator) calmed me down, and told me a few tips that I'm sure you can read on here. My "panic" was resolved by just using a different computer and it worked 1rst time.
My first try was with my Windows Vista PC. I tried a different computer (iMac) and it did not work, maybe I should have used a different PC, 2.1 and Mac did not get along well. Now that I have 2.2, it interfaces with Mac great.

Upvote 0
You must be mondo frustrated with that. :(

I'll wait until the OP here replies, maybe a re-install can help you then. I'll check back to see if you hear anything, or PM on this (remind me of this thread pls, I see many) and I'll help look around for you. Best I can think to help off-hand.

Meanwhile - doubt this will help symptoms as severe as those you're reporting - but ensure a 60 second battery pull if you've not already.

Upvote 0
You must be mondo frustrated with that. :(

I'll wait until the OP here replies, maybe a re-install can help you then. I'll check back to see if you hear anything, or PM on this (remind me of this thread pls, I see many) and I'll help look around for you. Best I can think to help off-hand.

Meanwhile - doubt this will help symptoms as severe as those you're reporting - but ensure a 60 second battery pull if you've not already.

Thank you. I'll try the battery pull. I was thinking about rooting, going back to 2.1, unrooting, and trying the update again, but the OP method sounds a lot faster.

EDIT: Tried battery pull. Phone is WORSE now, when I start it it hangs up, tells me the process system isn't working. I had to FC that. Wont connect to the network, VERY slow, lots of vibing and FCs. I think I might just take this to Verizon tomorrow and try and get a new phone. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones