• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Flash coming on after upgrade

I have a very strange issue, after upgrading my phone to 4.3. After I did the official firmware upgrade via Kies, my phone appears to be taking pictures randomly. When I am using the phone, the flash just goes off, as if a picture has been taken with no input from me. These pics do not show up in the gallery anywhere. Now, I am not suggesting that Samsung is secretly gathering photos, but I am interested to know what setting needs to be changed for this to stop. Is it a notification of some kind? Just very weird to me. And on another very strange note, after the upgrade 1 of my icons on my homescreen vanished, and the strange part is, I cannot recall which one it was!!! All I know is there is an open space, where 1 did not exist previously. Ideas?

I found the solution. Go into System Settings | My Device | Accessibility | Flash Notification. Although my phone has this option unchecked, my phone calls and alarm activates the flash on my phone. I think it is happening to your notifications. I checked and then unchecked this box and after that, my phone calls and alarm no longer activates the flash. Try this and see if notifications still activate your flash. My notifications did not activate the flash, but my phone calls and alarm did.

Reactions: TAWM and funkylogik
Upvote 0
I found the solution. Go into System Settings | My Device | Accessibility | Flash Notification. Although my phone has this option unchecked, my phone calls and alarm activates the flash on my phone. I think it is happening to your notifications. I checked and then unchecked this box and after that, my phone calls and alarm no longer activates the flash. Try this and see if notifications still activate your flash. My notifications did not activate the flash, but my phone calls and alarm did.

I found the setting, checked it and unchecked it, rebooted many times, but it still randomly seems to be setting off the flash. It does seem to be on a notification, but not all notifications, just text messages and calls. This is driving me up the wall.

Upvote 0
I found the setting, checked it and unchecked it, rebooted many times, but it still randomly seems to be setting off the flash. It does seem to be on a notification, but not all notifications, just text messages and calls. This is driving me up the wall.

I would suggest trying to change the notifications on those apps that is causing the flash to go off and see if that works. If not, try reinstalling those apps.

Upvote 0
This update is weird I'm liking the newer features but there's some weird stuff like this thread mentioned. Why would the flash turn on when a phone call come through? Thanks for the fix though.... I have another weird problem now all of a sudden everytime I go to the play store and download or update an app it downloads these random pdf files every time. I can't get it to stop, and it only started when I upgraded to 4.3 wtf is going on? :thinking: Now I'm reading they are halting the updates?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones