• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those still having to do the GSM/CDMA trick

thaboyz

Jun 6, 2010
I don't have my Evo yet so I can't and won't say this works 100% but from what I've read and what people have told me this seems to fix the problem so you won't have to do the GSM/CDMA trick anymore. Many have told me that you have to manually update this by going into -> Menu > Settings > System Updates > Update PRL

Let me know how it works out for you.

Hi,thanks for the tip. i did it and it said prl updated . does that mean i'm good to go? or how do i know if it 'worked'?
You'll know it worked if bring up the dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (Do not press "Call"). After a second, it should bring up the "Testing" menu.
Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen. Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is CDMA (prl) or CDMA (only).

Also your TWS (Time Without Signal) should be pretty low if you are in good coverage and by low I mean around 10% (again if your in good coverage at all times). You can check the TWS by going into Settings> About Phone> Battery> Battery Use> Cell Standby. Make sure your phone has been off the charger for about an hour.

Your welcome :D

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
How do you know what your time without a signal is

Sent from Carmen's HTC Evo

You can check the TWS by going into Settings> About Phone> Battery> Battery Use> Cell Standby. Make sure your phone has been off the charger for about an hour.

updating the PRL doesn't fix it. i updated my PRL before even learning of the GSM to CDMA trick and i still had to change it. just fyi
Thanks. Ya wasn't too sure if this would work or not but it was worth a try. It cant hurt to update the PRL anyways :D

Upvote 0
So I downloaded an app called "Network" which is the same as dialing those random numbers. I click "CDA AUTO" and then I check back a few hours later and it's back to GSM. What gives?
From what I've read you can use the Network app to change this. As for the problem with it changing back, if your using the method where you dial the numbers every time is force closes the settings for the network get set back to default, thats why it goes back to GSM.

I'm not sure if the Network app would do the same if you go back in to check the settings. Also if you reboot your phone you have to change it again because this trick does not stick after a reboot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones