• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Franco (on his kernel page) says when you first boot up the phone, open the camera first and then close it. Supposedly the sensor is staying open, which drains the battery. The Nexus S had the same problem.
Although I wish this was truly a bug (cuz if it is it can be fixed,) I don't know if I believe this is a problem unless it's an intermittent one. When I'm home using my phone moderately (wifi/3G, phone calls, no games and limited Phandroid app) I get 20+ hours out of my batteries.

When I'm using the phone heavy it drops dramatically to single digits. If the battery drain was from the camera bug it would drain the battery even during my moderate use.

I don't know if the Phandroid app itself is the culprit, or rather is it simply the fact I'm running the display so much more when I'm using it. I'm guessing using the browser would drain the battery just as much as the app. I can do a test, but since I'm not in the states it will be over wifi.

Upvote 0
Although I wish this was truly a bug (cuz if it is it can be fixed,) I don't know if I believe this is a problem unless it's an intermittent one. When I'm home using my phone moderately (wifi/3G, phone calls, no games and limited Phandroid app) I get 20+ hours out of my batteries.

When I'm using the phone heavy it drops dramatically to single digits. If the battery drain was from the camera bug it would drain the battery even during my moderate use.

I don't know if the Phandroid app itself is the culprit, or rather is it simply the fact I'm running the display so much more when I'm using it. I'm guessing using the browser would drain the battery just as much as the app. I can do a test, but since I'm not in the states it will be over wifi.

I'll test the wifi portion of it. Unlike you though, i have wildly varying battery life with roughly the same use and i think it may directly relate to the use of the Phandroid app. Easily tested and tried.

Upvote 0
Regarding diet stuff, I STRONGLY recommend P90X.

I was a fat teenager and a fatter young adult. That program is hard as frak the first time you try it, but all told I lost about 80 pounds.

Half an hour a day, and huge results within 90 days.

I'm starting the new P90X 2 in the spring.

I agree. P90X WILL kick your ass. There is a P90 which most people should start out with. But if you want to start with P90X I would recommend doing half of each exercise that they do, except the yoga. You should probably watch each video first to figure out what you are going to do.

I wasn't aware they were doing a second.

Upvote 0
I'll test the wifi portion of it. Unlike you though, i have wildly varying battery life with roughly the same use and i think it may directly relate to the use of the Phandroid app. Easily tested and tried.
My battery life also varies quite a bit too depending in use. Since I travel so much my type of use varies a great deal so while I'm on the road I can't establish a consistent base level to conduct evaluation tests.

Upvote 0
In reply to my PSA that we don't support Getjar posts here -

I quote policy, I don't set it. Your thoughtful rebuttal is under full review - if we're wrong, we'll change policy and apologize for the confusion. If we're right, we'll provide substantiation.

Appreciate your reply and tenacity in this matter! :)

Staff has been very busy on this today. Bottom line - we've been modding and guiding inconsistently on this one.

History - once upon a time, Getjar.com was blacklisted by carriers and it turns out the actual reason for that blacklisting wasn't terribly honest on the part of the carriers: Getjar apps were competing with apps vended (sold) by carriers.

The blacklist status has been replaced/withdrawn and they're whitelisted now.

Some of the staff recognized the legitimacy of Getjar, others (like yours truly) were still in the dark about that status change (even though it's been a while).

So - the deal on Getjar apps: yes, they are free, yes they are legal, no they are not (evidently) pirated - but you may or may not get app updates, that will depend on the individual devs.

Getjar itself didn't help this matter - I've already spoken to one dev today who was surprised to find one of his free apps and one of his demo apps listed there, without his knowledge. We're writing this off as a minor nuisance as the dev in question decided no harm done and he didn't care.

Please carry your Getjar discussion on over here -

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...over-100-paid-apps-free-right-now-getjar.html

As promised - on behalf of myself and anyone else on staff causing confusion on this, I sincerely apologize for my incorrect position and any undue distress.

This policy - like all - is subject to change as new information presents itself, and I appreciate everyone's patience on this.

Feel free to PM me on any of this that you're uncomfortable discussing publicly.

Upvote 0
@CaptainRon: Just got in the office, I'm zipping that tweaked Nova Launcher and sending to you in a few min. Keep in mind though, that the app button is invisible, but in the same default place. If you'd like to change it, just long press on it and edit the icon. If you're partial to the stock ICS app button, you'll have to download the ADW ICS theme pack from the market (its free and compatible with Nova).
Wow, nice job Han. Thanks! In addition to removing the line I love the invisible app icon. I pulled it out of it's folder in the dock and set it on the desktop. Sweet!

Screenshot_2011-12-29.jpg
Now that I've got the phone perfectly set up the way I like it's time to start flashing and tweaking. :D

I also have to do a plug for AirDroid. I realized after I got to the gym that I'd forgotten my usb cable. Fired up AirDroid for the first time to transfer files and it works great! Not as fast as using the usb cable, but a lot better than nothing.

Upvote 0
I like a woman with a little shimmy in her hips, personally... ;) Haha.

I will always have a bit of a shimmy. I'd just like a little less than right now. :p:D

Speaking of which I need to drag my sorry butt out of bed and hit the gym before I start playing with my GNex this morning. I don't want to turn into a wide body captain.

But in the mean time I'll enjoy the visual of your shimmy, shimmy shake.

Lol. Glad I can help with that visual.

Upvote 0
Got trolled by Wheel of Fortune today.

heXWL.jpg

Regarding diet stuff, I STRONGLY recommend P90X.

I was a fat teenager and a fatter young adult. That program is hard as frak the first time you try it, but all told I lost about 80 pounds.

Half an hour a day, and huge results within 90 days.

I'm starting the new P90X 2 in the spring.

P90X is amazing. I've done it 1.5 times and I always have awesome results. I cannot wait to do P90X 2 -- going to start around February as well.

Have you ever done insanity? It's ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Verizon to Charge Customers $2 Fee When Paying Bills Online or Over the Phone Starting January 15 – Droid Life

UN.FREAKING.BELIEVABLE.

On-line is the only way I pay :mad:

I have Verizon dsl for home. I gotta pay for internet on the phone. I pay however much for 700 minutes that I don't even use. And they want to charge $2 me to pay a bill?!

Upon further investigation if you pay by debit/credit card they will charge you. No charge if you use checking/savings.

I shouldn't have to use auto pay or bank pay. I should be able to pay any damn way I please as long as it is by the due date.

Upvote 0
Staff has been very busy on this today. Bottom line - we've been modding and guiding inconsistently on this one.

History - once upon a time, Getjar.com was blacklisted by carriers and it turns out the actual reason for that blacklisting wasn't terribly honest on the part of the carriers: Getjar apps were competing with apps vended (sold) by carriers.

The blacklist status has been replaced/withdrawn and they're whitelisted now.

Some of the staff recognized the legitimacy of Getjar, others (like yours truly) were still in the dark about that status change (even though it's been a while).

So - the deal on Getjar apps: yes, they are free, yes they are legal, no they are not (evidently) pirated - but you may or may not get app updates, that will depend on the individual devs.

Getjar itself didn't help this matter - I've already spoken to one dev today who was surprised to find one of his free apps and one of his demo apps listed there, without his knowledge. We're writing this off as a minor nuisance as the dev in question decided no harm done and he didn't care.

Please carry your Getjar discussion on over here -

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...over-100-paid-apps-free-right-now-getjar.html

As promised - on behalf of myself and anyone else on staff causing confusion on this, I sincerely apologize for my incorrect position and any undue distress.

This policy - like all - is subject to change as new information presents itself, and I appreciate everyone's patience on this.

Feel free to PM me on any of this that you're uncomfortable discussing publicly.

Thanks EarlyMon. And just so everyone knows, I was not at all being tenacious toward EarlyMon. It just seemed odd that androidforums.com would have labelled getjar a piracy site. I had remembered them mostly as a dev beta distro site a long time ago when I used them kinda pre-appstore on Symbian Nokia's to try prerelease apps. Seemed odd they would be piracy promoters when they started as a kinda dev centric site.

Upvote 0
Verizon to Charge Customers $2 Fee When Paying Bills Online or Over the Phone Starting January 15 – Droid Life

UN.FREAKING.BELIEVABLE.

On-line is the only way I pay :mad:

I have Verizon dsl for home. I gotta pay for internet on the phone. I pay however much for 700 minutes that I don't even use. And they want to charge $2 me to pay a bill?!

Upon further investigation if you pay by debit/credit card they will charge you. No charge if you use checking/savings.

I shouldn't have to use auto pay or bank pay. I should be able to pay any damn way I please as long as it is by the due date.

I THINK the charges apply to payments made with CSR assistance. ANY type of auto-pay, including credit or debit card, is still free. At least thats what I can make out from the fine and blurry print in the Droid life article.

Upvote 0
I am amazed at the Google Voice Search accuracy. It's picking up nearly at 100%. However, on the other hand, the "Voice Dialer" app simply stinks.

Back to Google Voice Search, is there a way to have an icon of just the "mic" to put on my home screen? Right now they have it as part of the larger google search field on top and in order to activate it, you need to tap on the mic icon quite precisely. It's a bit annoying. A dedicated app would be easier to activate.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I am amazed at the Google Voice Search accuracy. It's picking up nearly at 100%. However, on the other hand, the "Voice Dialer" app simply stinks.

Back to Google Voice Search, is there a way to have an icon of just the "mic" to put on my home screen? Right now they have it as part of the larger google search field on top and in order to activate it, you need to tap on the mic icon quite precisely. It's a bit annoying. A dedicated app would be easier to activate.

Thanks!

You might be able to use desktop vizualizer.

Upvote 0
Good morning and Happy New Year! Like most, I have dismal signal strength at home. I thought it was my phone, but comparing it to another, in the local Verizon store, the stats were close. Attributed it to where we are on the coast, rural and un-populated. Now, I have been in Dallas for a week ( think the neighborhood we are staying in has more population than our entire island,lol) and have still had dismal signal strength. Guess we will see what verizon does. Other issues: when i go to my ringtones and click to play them, now it opens Google music and plays a random song, anyone have any ideas ? Also, Google navigation is reading web page headings in the middle of navigation, any thoughts on this one? I enjoy this thread alot, I know I don't post often, but I read daily!

Upvote 0
Good morning and Happy New Year! Like most, I have dismal signal strength at home. I thought it was my phone, but comparing it to another, in the local Verizon store, the stats were close. Attributed it to where we are on the coast, rural and un-populated. Now, I have been in Dallas for a week ( think the neighborhood we are staying in has more population than our entire island,lol) and have still had dismal signal strength. Guess we will see what verizon does. Other issues: when i go to my ringtones and click to play them, now it opens Google music and plays a random song, anyone have any ideas ? Also, Google navigation is reading web page headings in the middle of navigation, any thoughts on this one? I enjoy this thread alot, I know I don't post often, but I read daily!

Good morning. Sorry I can't help ya but wanted to say hi! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones