• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Good morning fellow Nexaholics! I LOVE this thread... it's a place for us with the "addiction" and it doesn't move as fast as the pre-release thread... I can actually leave it overnight and not have 10+ pages to catch up on! Plus, the info is GREAT and the ideas/tips/tricks/troubleshooting we have in here is fantastic. The more I use my Galaxy Nexus, the more I love it.

A friend of ours had a husband who collected vintage and not so vintage toys. I went down into his basement once and he showed me his lair. The walls were covered with glass covered shelves. He must have had almost a thousand toys. Each display had its own little spotlight.

He also had a giant screen and three video game consoles. He used that basement as his alone/unwinding time almost every day after work for three or four hours at a time.

The marriage did not last very long.

I have to give my wife of almost 14 years a lot of credit. Early on in our marriage, I had a bit of a problem with video gaming. Every day at lunch, I would come home and play Unreal Tournament (UT) with friends for well over an hour. And when I got home, I'd play Return to Castle Wolfenstein (RTCW) for hours on end. This was going on every day for quite a long time. A year, maybe? Longer? Day after day this happened. And I never understood why she was so crabby - or didn't want to have anything to do with me - until much later.

There were a few times she'd come into my computer room around 6:00 PM and ask if I was ready for dinner? I said I'd be there in a few minutes. Next, she'd come into my room and tell me she's going to bed. I'd look at my watch and see it was 11:30 PM. WTF, where did the last 5.5 hours go?! Why she didn't leave me, I'll never understand. Those that saw my Galaxy Nexus unboxing video know I'm not much to look at, so it wasn't my looks. ;)

Even now, when I think about this, I feel guilty as hell. She married a very immature person at the time. But it's all good now and our relationship is that much stronger because of it. She doesn't mind being a plane window on Sundays (those that were in the Galaxy nexus pre-release thread know I'm an avid model airplane/heli pilot) as I could be doing much, much worse.

Reactions: BabyBlues and jbdan
Upvote 0
I'd also like to know. Didn't look on the website for long but are there any vid's out there showing how to program and/or creative uses?

From what I gather (I'm an OCD research-aholic and have not investigated this fully as I'm awaiting my tags) you can use this app to write them.

I'm sure there are some videos. I think member Stigy here has done some (not videos but tags). Whne I get mine I'll be sure to post my methods :)

Upvote 0
Super easy to program with NFC Task Launcher:

EZ5qi.png

Reactions: BabyBlues and jbdan
Upvote 0
Remember the Time Life Collections? They had an 80's collections. But it was way back when I didn't have the kind of money to spend on it. I would love to have ALL the hits from the 80's! What a great decade :)

Yeah, but the downside with Time-Life is that, once you're on their auto-ship program, there's no END to it. You'll end up spending thousands of dollars for who-knows how many 80s CDs. I tried that with some cooking book where they send you so many pages a month, and turned it down when I ran the numbers and the complete book would be something like $700 :eek:

Besides, there's always Pandora. Just create an 80s station :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, but the downside with Time-Life is that, once you're on their auto-ship program, there's no END to it. You'll end up spending thousands of dollars for who-knows how many 80s CDs. I tried that with some cooking book where they send you so many pages a month, and turned it down when I ran the numbers and the complete book would be something like $700 :eek:

Besides, there's always Pandora. Just create an 80s station :)

I was 12 when the 80s ended. Does that count as a Child of the 80s? :D

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Reactions: jbdan and BabyBlues
Upvote 0
Reactions: Khatmandu and jbdan
Upvote 0
Not phone related, but some of you may remember from the pre-release thread that Han talked about using facial recognition to unlock the phone with his butt..

Well... soon your car may not start unless it's your butt in the seat:

Someday, Your Car May Know If That's Your Butt In The Driver's Seat : The Two-Way : NPR

Speaking of the pre-release thread. Remember when VZW was going to cancel Friday (the day) which at the time was one of the anticipated release days??
Well, apparently it can be done.

Samoa Will Skip Friday This Week | NewsFeed | TIME.com

Upvote 0
my addicted family, I have a question for you all. I'm steering a friend of mine to the LG Revolution since it is only $50 (she isn't a tech geek like us and doesn't have the money to spend anyway on the new dual core phones).

Anyway, she hasn't had a data package before so she won't be getting unlimited, I recall people talking about an upgrade of some sort from 2 GB to 4GB....is that totally done and over with? Looking around on the VZW website I didn't see anything. Any thoughts? Thanks all!!!!

Upvote 0
my addicted family, I have a question for you all. I'm steering a friend of mine to the LG Revolution since it is only $50 (she isn't a tech geek like us and doesn't have the money to spend anyway on the new dual core phones).

Anyway, she hasn't had a data package before so she won't be getting unlimited, I recall people talking about an upgrade of some sort from 2 GB to 4GB....is that totally done and over with? Looking around on the VZW website I didn't see anything. Any thoughts? Thanks all!!!!

I called *611 on an unrelated issue yesterday and the automated hold thing was still advertising it. She may want to call VZW customer service and get it before it's gone :)

Reactions: zebug
Upvote 0
So I got bored at work today and decided to test out the Gorilla Glass on my OG Droid that has been sitting in my desk drawer since I got the old Dinc 2 delivered at the office.

I can report that the scratch-proof test, using a stainless steel steak knife in the common kitchen area, yielded surprising results. There were, in fact, (faint) scratches that remained after vigorous rubbing with a silk cloth. So it's not, in fact, completely scratch proof as I thought it was.

It is also not hammer-proof.

IMG_20111230_131100.jpg

Tee hee.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones