• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help galaxy S captivate home key + power button | issues problems

d1r

Lurker
Mar 5, 2011
Galaxy S Captivate Firmware Latest 2.2.1

Phone worked fine for 2 weeks. (never turned phone off)
Today decided to reboot the phone.

After the reboot home key and power button stopped working properly

2 problems started.

Problem: UI HOME KEY

When i press it the light still goes off as if i pressed it, but it no longer functions or takes me back to home screen from ANYWHERE.

This is a problem as I am unable to use go back to home screen when surfing multiple pages etc. I'll have to hit BACK multiple times just to get back to home.

Luckily the UI BACK key still works BUT, there are instances when the phone is in (contacts screen) and the BACK key will no longer take you back to home screen.

The phone will be stuck in this contacts screen (touch screen still works) and the only UI key that work is the MENU key.

Once stuck in this screen, no longer have access to apps OR anything on the phone until it is rebooted.

Problem: Power button no longer locks the phone

I no longer hear the LOCK sound, and phone no longer locks.

No matter how many times i reset the lock sound, or redo the pattern / password / code lock the phone no longer wants to lock even if display times out or i hit the power key.

When i hit the key the screen will turn black but NOT LOCKED. and the volume key will bring it back up.

When I hold the POWER KEY, I have the option to enter DOWNLOAD MODE.
Not sure if this was possible before.

--------------

FAILED: Fix attempts.

Tried taking battery out,
Tried using power/volume key reboots.

Please, any help will be appreciated. Thankyou.

--------------------

Found a FIX: Looked like a factory reset will fix this problem. Basically wipe the phone clean of any apps.

Hard to diagnose what caused this to happen.

Easiest is to do a hard reset and see if the problems persist.

If it does, then you should be able to do warranty exchange.

If the problem goes away, it's possible that an app you recently installed caused this problem...or something corrupted in the settings.

Also, if you have a Task Killer installed and have set it to kill on a schedule, KILL THE AUTO-kill. Keep the task killer to manually kill misbehaving apps...But don't kill on a schedule. That can cause insidious, inexplicable problems over time.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem.
The only time the home button actually worked besides just showing the light signifying that it registered my touch, was when I was in the Samsung Kies program. On the phone it is asked to press the home button in order to exit, which I did, successfully exiting but without any vibration.
And yes I also have the lock screen problem.
As another side occurrence I lost almost all my contacts, SMS history, and the keyboard changed. This is quite aggravating as I would have to get all of my numbers and such back.
The ironic part of this for me was that it happened while I was trying to back everything up with Titanium Backup. I had just finished all my backups successfully (or so I thought), only to discover the damage that had been dealt. I think I backed up the messed up phone version because my recover yielded only disappointment and a waste of $6.15.
I see this was posted fairly recently; any luck with anything so far?

Oh woops I saw your factory reset edit a bit too late.... hmm seems so bothersome though

Upvote 0
hey guys ,
i recently had the same problem which has occured to your galaxy s mobiles
and i took all your advice and did test runs.
so, in the end i connected my phone to a pc usin usb and had my connection set to 'ask on connection' then selected 'samsung kies'
and when it fully connected i exit the programe by pressing and holding the home button.
By doing this it has removed the error and the phone is now working to a standing order agian, however i do not know the full extent on the damage/error. so this may not work with all galaxy s mobile, or if it does, will maybe only work for a short time.
If this is to happen again i will be sending off my phone for repair and will keep you guys up to date, hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones