• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S3 device not recognized in Windows through USB cable.

Lokahi117

Lurker
Feb 7, 2016
i am having the issue where my phone doesn't show up in my computer when i connect via usb.

It plays the usb device sound in Windows but then says USB device not recognized. Etc.

WHAT I'VE TRIED SO FAR:

I have tried my Samsung Galaxy s4 with the same cable and it comes up as a disk drive, just like I so desperately need this one too.

I have tried to remove the SIM card and battery, still the same issue.

I went to the Verizon store and had them hook up my S3 to thier computer with their cord and it gave them the same messAge "Device not recognized....etc"

I have enabled developer options from the secret menu and checked "USB debugging" to enable that.

The phone will charge from the usb just fine,

I have tried using the *#0808# stuff but none of those codes does anything at all on the phone when I enter it into the dialer screen. It just acts like it's any other phone number.

My android version is 4.4.2. I have successfully hooked my phone up to the computer lots of times, never an issue, but now, it's not working. Any help please.

See, I was dumb enough to use "my files" to move 1039 pics from my phone internal memory onto my sd card , and it instead moved them but the sd card didn't take them so they are just gone now. Every pic of my daughters for the last three years..... So I am desperate to recover them. But by all accounts I need to get my phone to hook up the a computer via usb in order to do so.

Pleas any help at all will be much appreciated guys.

Try another file explorer app to see if you can locate them on the device. Es file explorer from the play store has many features. My files is a horrible excuse for a file explorer.
Es file explorer will show you the files better than plugging it in to PC. I say that because it looks like you've tried most solutions. So it may be your USB port on the phone. Just because it charges doesn't mean the port is fine.
Also AirDroid will let you explore the phones files on your PC wirelessly. Es file explorer has these options as well.
But you will see that a good file explorer app will help you find any files hiding on your phone.

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones