• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S4 Cases and covers!

What's up with people posting links to DX-BOX and then getting their post removed? I noticed a bunch of cheap cases on the site that look pretty good (including the S-view flip cover). Is the site legit? I'd rather not pay $60 for the cover and the site has it for $30.

Too good to be true? Probably...I was hoping it was some sort of monoprice but for smartphone accessories.

Upvote 0
Did you say you ordered 3 cases? lol sweet - I've thought about that. Sometimes you want a different look or bulkiness based on what you're doing that day..

Yeah! Lol it sounds impractical, but my wife and I ordered the phone at the same time so we'll have options as far as which case to use and when. And yeah...exactly like you said some days we want it sleek and other days might want a bulkier case

Upvote 0
What's up with people posting links to DX-BOX and then getting their post removed?

It was spam.

Is the site legit? I'd rather not pay $60 for the cover and the site has it for $30.

As the company are located in mainland China (Shenzhen) I seriously doubt that any of the branded products are genuine. ;)

Reactions: Petrah and dgold82
Upvote 0
I haven't decided if I will get a case or not. I know they are for protection but I really hate increasing the size of an already large phone as I carry mine in my dress shirt pocket. I have had 3 different iPhones, EVO, EVO LTE, S3 and more and never once dropped one enough to cause damage.

It has gorilla glass 3 so not even sure if I will add a screen protector.

Upvote 0
I got my Spigen Ultra Fit Case today. (Not the hybrid one.) I figured this one would probably arrive before the phone ever did. Gotta love having a case before the phone.

IMAG0491_zpsaba31907.jpg

IMAG0492_zps8036b1ed.jpg

IMAG0493_zpsa9b4f965.jpg

Now I am just waiting on my Hybrid case to get here -- it will be the daily driver. :)

galaxy_s4_neo_hybrid_metal_slate04_zps039d1d19.jpg

galaxy_s4_neo_hybrid_metal_slate02_zps9ccec417.jpg

I am really digging this hybrid case from Spigen. I noticed on their site that it says you can customize the look with different colors. Do you know if they sell the colored bands separately? I like the idea of changing up the band color every once in a while. They say you can but they don't give you the option to purchase the entire case with one color and then order additional band colors.

Also, it would be really nice if the bands were a colored metal. I understand the impact shock absorption of the plastic but if I see it correctly, there is the rubber plastic under the band for absorption, correct?

Again, I really like the looks and function of this case.

Upvote 0
I just preordered my phone from Verizon, so now I'm looking into getting a better cover. I'm essentially looking for three things, the first and most important being a kickstand. I'm coming from an HTC Thunderbolt and it was the most useful feature of any phone I've ever seen.
The second would be a flip cover, preferrably the S View, but that would come into trouble with most kickstands... if I could find a way to get both, I'd do that, but I don't think it'll happen.
I'm also curious as to what might affect the phone's capabilities in terms of material. Like the Wi-Fi signal or whatever.

Anyone else looked into any of this stuff?

Upvote 0
I just preordered my phone from Verizon, so now I'm looking into getting a better cover. I'm essentially looking for three things, the first and most important being a kickstand. I'm coming from an HTC Thunderbolt and it was the most useful feature of any phone I've ever seen.
The second would be a flip cover, preferrably the S View, but that would come into trouble with most kickstands... if I could find a way to get both, I'd do that, but I don't think it'll happen.
I'm also curious as to what might affect the phone's capabilities in terms of material. Like the Wi-Fi signal or whatever.

seems like you could just use the s view as a stand

Upvote 0
I've come to the determination that I am just way too damn indecisive. I'm just gonna order them all from Amazon, except Otterbox commuter, and send back what I don't want. Always been a Otterbox fan but the buttons on my wife's S3 are hard to push with the OB. Gonna get her a few trials too why I'm at it. I'll post some pics and thoughts once I get them.

Upvote 0

Like this? SEIDIO | SURFACE with Metal Kickstand Case for Samsung GALAXY S4

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just order, (--I'm deleting the link on this--)

Well I know that the dx box thing is spam/ scam from what someone said earlier, but that actually looks pretty awesome. I'm still considering a case, and I've always gone bare with my phones. But the option of just replacing the battery door with something that looks cooler is something that I'm interested in. So if anyone comes across something legit to that extent, post it!

Upvote 0
I've come to the determination that I am just way too damn indecisive. I'm just gonna order them all from Amazon, except Otterbox commuter, and send back what I don't want. Always been a Otterbox fan but the buttons on my wife's S3 are hard to push with the OB. Gonna get her a few trials too why I'm at it. I'll post some pics and thoughts once I get them.

This guy does a quick review of the casemate toughcase and the otterbox commuter case in a seperate video. IMO the toughcase is a little better when looking at the versions for the sgs3 which I have compared directly on mine (toughcase) and a friends (commuter) sgs3's. By the looks of the videos of each it appears that the casemate will likely be a little better again since it appears that they are both unsurprisingly refreshes of the previous designs. IMO advantages of the toughcase as I compared on my sgs3 were better grip both in the hand and when set on car dashes and the like and better coverage around the circumference of the phone for drop protection while actually being slightly slimmer doing it. Both seemed like good cases to me but neither would be acceptable to the folks looking for cases that were as svelte as possible.

Reactions: josborne6
Upvote 0

Are you talking about the power and volume buttons on the Otterbox commuter for the GS3? I had the same issue but it seemed to loosen up a little down the line. I guess I ended up getting used to it. I did like the design and it protected it well from a drop. I ordered the commuter box for the GS4 and it should get here tomorrow or Monday I think.

Upvote 0
Are you talking about the power and volume buttons on the Otterbox commuter for the GS3? I had the same issue but it seemed to loosen up a little down the line. I guess I ended up getting used to it. I did like the design and it protected it well from a drop. I ordered the commuter box for the GS4 and it should get here tomorrow or Monday I think.

Yes the power and volume buttons. They have loosened up. I do really like the look of the case compared to others for the GS3. It is my wifes phone and she has the white case on white phone. Looks nice. The buttons are fine for me she just thinks they aren't tactile enough for her liking. Her friend has a Incipio dual pro and the buttons are really easy to push. The silicone is loose at the top and sides though. I like the tighter fit of the OB personally.

Upvote 0
I had a Seidio Active case and holster for my Note 2. It was really nice. There were a couple of things I didn't like about it:
1) the soft black inner rubber part felt almost greasy when you hold it. It was kinda secure and yet felt a little slippery.
2) with the kickstand, you can't reverse the phone in the holster and have the screen out, which I like to do on occasion.

The Seidio Active replaced an OtterBox Defender that I found entirely too bulky and heavy. Of course, the Note 2 was well protected, but I didn't care for the additional bulk and weight. I didn't care for the built-in screen protector either. While it seemed very well engineered and worked very well, I never quite got used to feeling my finger touch the screen and then touch the surface of the device... a double touch. Also, the power button was very hard to push and when I did, the case creaked and my finger hurt! And lastly, the hole in the screen protector for the home button tended to be a bit of a dust vacuum.

Upvote 0
Let me know if this interferes with any of the signals (ie wifi, 3G, 4G, cell signal, NFC, bluetooth etc). Having metal casing for a device that needs to transmit and receive different signals (without an external antenna) usually has adverse effects. Just curious if this case causes any problems

I wouldn't expect a reply, just FYI. Apparently these are kind of spam.

Reactions: cary328is
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones