• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Galaxy S4 USB no longer working

Jpoel

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
SORRY, I'VE POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG SECTION. CAN A MODERATOR REMOVE THIS?

Hi All,

I have a problem!

I have had my Galaxy S4 for a few months now, and it has been rooted most of it's life.

Thursday night, it was fairly wet and I had my phone out whilst it was raining. When I got home, I put my phone on charge and went to bed. When I woke up, I found that my phone was stuck in a loop.

The phone booted to the battery icon as if it would if it was charging. But the battery icon has a white "loading" circle infront of it. After about 5 seconds, the battery icon will vanish, and the phone reboots itself and does this in an infinite loop. The phone doesn't charge. I can't provide a picture of this as this is my first post.

If I turn the phone on whilst it isn't plugged into USB, the phone will boot up and seems to operate just fine. But, upon boot, a notification appears:
"USB Connector Connected"...well, it isn't.

I can't connect the phone to the computer via USB and can't charge whilst the phone is turned on - nothing happens.

My first thoughts are that the rain caused some kind of short in the micro USB port, but I don't recall the phone actually being that wet... I've tried the rice trick.

My next idea is to unroot the device and revert to stock firmware to see if that makes any difference. And if it doesn't, then I want the phone to be in a position where I can hand it over to Samsung/O2 for repair without them throwing it back at me telling me it's been rooted.

Ive reset my flash counter with triangle away but the device status still shows as "custom" in the settings menu...

Can anyone shed any light on my USB issue or give me a guide on how to properly unroot my phone so I can return it for repair? Remember - I cannot connect via USB, so everything needs to be done on the phone only.

Please Note:
I've tried 3 different OEM batteries
2 different USB leads
2 different USB plugs
Taking memory card/SIM card out
Cleaning the USB port
Rice Trick

I'm currently using my phone by charging the batteries separately from the device in a wall adapter.

Thanks,

James

Reset my flash counter with Triangle Away and flashed to stock with moble odin, problem still exists so I assume it's a hardware issue. You think I'm safe to hand this over to samsung now? In download mode, my device status says "Samsung Official". And in the settings menu, the status says "Official" too. Strange thing though, if I insert my old memory card, the status changes to "Custom"... anyone know why this is?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones