• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy Tab 10.1 for Christmas

sdtag

Oct 5, 2011
What's this kies thing? I think it supposed to let me see videos/pictures/ and listen to music on the tab from whatever pc I install it on right? On my home network of course.

I opened up the Tab this morning, powered it up, let it charge, and downloaded the latest updates. I installed kies on my pc.

I can't get them to hook up at all. They see each other but that's about it. It tries to sync or hook up but they both just sit there saying connecting.

I have over 26,000 pictures, probably 150-200 videos and I don't know how many MP3's, thousands on my pc. Should I unlink them from kies and see if that helps? I don't know if it is trying to read thousands of files and it's busy, or if it's just sitting there and can't make the connection.

And oh yeah, I start the connection process from the tab, say ok on the pc, then I get this little pop up window on the pc that says there is no sim card installed and it's unable to continue communication.

There is no sim card, it's a wifi tab. Do I have the wrong version of kies or something?

Overall it's a fun little toy but not a very good first impression. I shouldn't be logging on to Android boards on Christmas day trying to get help for a Christmas present. I'm just saying... shouldn't it be easier than this?

So you guys dont use kies so you dont access your home network from the tab? I assumed I could see the computers on my home network and acceess their files. I guess I thought I could see my media on my home computer without jumping through hoops. So what do you do with tab then? Surf the net, email, etc. It just seems funny that this tab will access my home network through wifi pretty effortlessly and get on the internet no problem but I can't see the computers on my network. My misunderstanding I guess.
So basically the tab is a fun toy but it's not a computer?
Is there an app to let me see my network?

Upvote 0
I use Dropbox to quickly transfer files to my various devices. You can connect your Tab to a Windows PC via usb cable and transfer any size file back and forth. I've used an App called Software Cable which uses FTP to move files via wifi. It works off and on. There's an app called Splashtop HD (I think) which gives you remote control to your Windows PC. Again not sure about Macs. There are a bunch of file management apps that access your home network as well. Takes a bit of a learning curve but I consider my Tab to be an auxilliary device to my laptop. Not just a toy.

Upvote 0
Thanks Granny!
I was hoping it wasn't just an expensive toy.

Still it seems odd that we have to use dropbox, going out to the "cloud" and back when everything I'm trying to access is on my home network pc's. I'll start looking at those third party apps.

You know, this shouldn't be such a surprise to me. I got a new droid bionic when they came out and I have always been on windows smart phones before that. A little learning curve there and also I had to use a third party program to get my calendar, contacts, notes, and tasks to sync.

All I'm trying to do is impress my family by saying "look at all my family pictures that are on my pc upstairs right here on this cool little tablet." I'm waiting to hear "wow grandpa you're so smart". haha hasn't happened yet. haha

I found a app called 2player that lets me access my music files on the pc from the tab. Now I need one for pictures and video.

I guess the correct terminology is streaming. I am trying to stream pictures, music, and video, without having to transfer or download them first.

Upvote 0
GOT IT!!!

A app called Qloud Media Free. Works like a charm. I can stream pictures, videos, and music to the tab. This is exactly what I wanted. Now I am the smart grandpa again. haha

The program actually wants to share through the router to the cloud. I never set any of that up because I just want to stream through my home network. Perfect!
5 stars. I'll definitely be buying this program. The free version works flawlessly but has ads. I don't mind 2.99 at all. well worth it.

whew! I can breath again!

Reactions: chile62
Upvote 0
So you guys dont use kies so you dont access your home network from the tab? I assumed I could see the computers on my home network and acceess their files. I guess I thought I could see my media on my home computer without jumping through hoops. So what do you do with tab then? Surf the net, email, etc. It just seems funny that this tab will access my home network through wifi pretty effortlessly and get on the internet no problem but I can't see the computers on my network. My misunderstanding I guess.
So basically the tab is a fun toy but it's not a computer?
Is there an app to let me see my network?

Yeah each person is a bit different :)

Personally I use my device as a testing devices for writing apps mostly.

But I also connect to a NAS, but I don't give it access to all the desktop computers on my network.

In fact most of my computers aren't really accessible to each other, just to the NAS. So my Tab is really just in the same boat as the other computing devices on my network.

Upvote 0
I think I got a lemon...
It is doing that stuck thing more and more. I think it's sleeping but it won't wake up. I have to hold the power button for 12 seconds to get it wake up, then it reboots of course.
New problem... words for friends and pingme are both crashing. They just end and return me to the home screen. I can play words by myself, but when it tries to access the internet it crashes.
My daughter came over last night, she got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. We tried words but my SGT kept crashing out. She told me about pingme. we tried that. It crashes out also. It seems to be maybe an app that uses a certain internet protocol? I'm guessing...
And oh yeah, now my Qloud streaming server/client doesn't work anymore either.
Somebody help! This is getting embarrassing. Is there a tweak or something I can try or should I just start the return/exchange process? I bought this SGT through Amazon, they should be reputable I thought.

Upvote 0
WOW! I was right. Amazon is a great company to deal with.
A few clicks on their web site and I'll have a new unit on Jan 5th.

I would still appreciate it if someone would let me know if they had these issues and what they did to resolve them, short of replacing the unit.
TIA.

Upvote 0
This has happened to me maybe twice in the last 3 months since I bought the Tab. It seems that either you got a ddefective unit, or had an app that was causing that. The only way to determine that though, whould be to hard reset it and see if it still happens. If you are already getting a replacement, there is not point in doing that, though.

Upvote 0
I did anyway just to see.
It was ok at first then the issues slowly came back. Now it won't last a minute in word.
I think whatever issue it is having must have been affecting kies right away. That was the first thing I noticed, kies didn't work. It must be some obscure setting in the networking or internet protocol. I'm guessing. Or some little tiny surface mount device on the main board got a cold solder joint and it's affecting something. Haha grasping for straws. Who cares anyway, the new one comes in two days.
I hope I hope I hope. Wish me luck with the replacement tab.

Upvote 0
UPDATE:
I got the new Tab from Amazon. Man they are just great to deal with - no hassles at all.
I installed the updates. I'm on Android 3.2, Kernel 2.6.36.1, build HTJ85B.UEKMM P7510UEKMM
There's an app in there called All Share. I'm using it now to stream audio, video, and pictures from my home computer. It works great. Better than Qloud, which I didn't re-install. And I never could get Kies to work. I didn't even try on the new Tab. After reading some of the other threads here I kinda got scared off of it I guess. All Share works for me so I don't need to temp fate any more than is necessary.
The new Tab hasn't locked up yet. So far it has waken up every time.
I still have some networking issues like Word for friends keeps crashing. I installed it on my Droid Bionic and it works flawlessly there. It's funny, on the phone, Word found my games in progress. Word on the Tab did not. If that's my biggest problem I can live with that.
And I think Ping Me crashed once or twice, but so far it seems to be much more stable than on the old Tab. The old Tab - haha it was about 2 weeks old. haha
So far so good - I'm a happy camper again.
Any advice on what I should be looking for? Other than the power up thing.

Upvote 0
it happened.
The new Tab wouldn't wake up and I had to reboot it last night I am considering returning it and getting 2 Kindle Fires. They seem to be pretty stable. I hope it's not just the grass is always greener... well you know.
Think I'm over reacting? I'm trying to decide. For the money I paid for the SGT I expect it to work like it should. Idunno, I think I should get what I paid for. just thinking out loud here.

Upvote 0
I made a decision: I'm going to stop whining, man up, and keep the SGT.
So I may have to reboot it once in a while - so what.
Overall it's a fun toy addition to my living room.
Since nobody is answering me/helping me anyway this thread should just die a slow and lingering death. This is more like a diary than a help forum. haha

note to self: stop posting notes to self
:)

Upvote 0
I made a decision: I'm going to stop whining, man up, and keep the SGT.
So I may have to reboot it once in a while - so what.
I read the whole thread and it sounds to me like software causing the issues, not hardware. I know several people who have the Tab like me and none of us have any issues at all, no need to reboot, no lockups, no sleeping issues. Mine has been up for 1263 hours (that's 52 days), rebooted it when I updated to Android v3.2.

The big difference though - we don't use Words or Pingme. I'm guessing one of them or both is causing the problem since they may not be optimized for the Tab (remember that many of these apps were written with phones in mind, not tablets so there will be some issues).
Overall it's a fun toy addition to my living room.
Since nobody is answering me/helping me anyway this thread should just die a slow and lingering death. This is more like a diary than a help forum.
I missed this thread earlier as I wasn't on here much over the Holidays. Anywho, my Tab is not a toy for me, it's a useful daily tool that helps me stay connected and informed while at work, or away from the computer at home. I do all sorts of things with mine, including simple things like having it in front of the TV to see what's on (TVlistings) during "family time". PulseNews is also great as it puts all my feeds into one app and I can quickly browse through them instead of going online and reading each one. There are many uses for a tablet...you just need to find out what it can do and how it can help.
:D

Reactions: Wintings
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones