• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread 2.3 was here, then gone, now it's back

When will VZW push a fixed GB OTA

• 10/11/11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10/17/11

• 10/24/11

• 10/31/11

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 11/07/11

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 11/14/111

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • 11/21/11

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Don't care (rooted already, etc)

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Before Christmas

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Never, the lobsters ate all the testers so it got cancelled

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • It isn't coming at all now

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Any minute now

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Immediately after Jimmy Hoffa's body is found

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • The day after the apocalypse

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sometime after the sun goes supernova

Votes: 9 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I received the OTA notice and got the same as you. After reading here I tried the myriad suggestions to force it and try to install (changing the date, clearing cache, making more space, etc, etc). I can now bring up the OTA notice at will but it will not install. Seems like I need to factory reset.

I have given up. I don't think it's worth it from what I hear. My phone works as it did for the last year and a half, good battery life and lots of info I don't want to either risk losing or take the time to get back to how it is now, just to have the latest.

If there was a compelling reason to update to GB, I suppose I would.

Well bluetooth was acting a little wonky so I broke down and did the factory reset. It prompted to install the update, however, it failed at the same spot as before the reset. So now I still have 2.2 and have to go thru setting it all up again as if it was new.

POS!!

Upvote 0
I've had numerous problems getting this update to install. When I got the update notification this last time, I did the cache wipe process outlined elsewhere and uninstalled a bunch of apps before starting the update. When I started the update, it successfully rebooted my phone (which had never happened in previous attempts). There was only this one reboot and when the phone was back operational, I checked my software version and it was still on 2.2 and said it was up to date. So the 4.08 update apparently did not install. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I've had numerous problems getting this update to install. When I got the update notification this last time, I did the cache wipe process outlined elsewhere and uninstalled a bunch of apps before starting the update. When I started the update, it successfully rebooted my phone (which had never happened in previous attempts). There was only this one reboot and when the phone was back operational, I checked my software version and it was still on 2.2 and said it was up to date. So the 4.08 update apparently did not install. Any ideas?

The only thing that helped me was a factory reset.

Upvote 0
The Inc will probably be one the best phones I've ever owned. It's usually an easy decision to replace my old phones, but I was holding out for something really amazing to replace my Inc. I was eligible for upgrade when the Thunderbolt and Charge came out, and neither of those I though were good enough. This time it came down the the Rezound or Nexus.

Upvote 0
The Inc will probably be one the best phones I've ever owned. It's usually an easy decision to replace my old phones, but I was holding out for something really amazing to replace my Inc. I was eligible for upgrade when the Thunderbolt and Charge came out, and neither of those I though were good enough. This time it came down the the Rezound or Nexus.

Same mentality here. I ordered the Nexus (although they're taking their sweet time shipping it) but was really stuck on the Rezound simply because of how good the Incredible was.

I haven't decided yet, but I may keep my Incredible as a touch MP3 player. In Airplane mode it will get great battery life, and I have 3 batteries, cases, and other accessories for it. Selling it may get me $180 or so max (with accessories) but it also has a slight crack in the screen so I'd have to replace that.

It's a great deal for an MP3 player since I already own it... I just can't decide if I even need one with a phone like the Nexus.

Upvote 0
One nice feature I've found with Gingerbread is being able to easily determine if the phone is powered on or not. Sometimes I don't remember if I've powered it off or not. With the old Froyo release, a brief tap on the power button brought the phone to life if it was already powered on but started the slow power-up process if it was off. With Gingerbread (and fast boot enabled), a brief tap on the power button does nothing if the phone is powered off but brings it to life if it is on. A longer press on the button turns the phone on if it is off.

--Jim--

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones