• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GMail Activesync syncs forever

amarryat

Android Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2010
Is anyone else having problems with a gmail account and activesync?

It had been working fine. A few hours ago, I kept getting errors. Finally deleted the account and recreated it, but then when it tries to sync, it just syncs forever and never finishes.

I am only trying to sync the email, not the calendar and contacts.

Is anyone else having problems with a gmail account and activesync?

It had been working fine. A few hours ago, I kept getting errors. Finally deleted the account and recreated it, but then when it tries to sync, it just syncs forever and never finishes.

I am only trying to sync the email, not the calendar and contacts.

I was just tinkering with my settings in the Gmail App. It did the same thing for me, but seems to be working now. I think it was just a temporary glitch with there network.

Upvote 0
Systems... have their own world going on. I would check settings, and remember when problems occur and your phone might start acting funky, GO TO THE " REBOOT ".

I've had many things solved that way, especially if you never shut your phone down, its always good to reboot twice a week. I don't use GPS/Maps often, but when i do i always reboot before using my Maps/directions Application. Good Luck.

Upvote 0
Had similar issues twice before. First time was right after the OTA update. For some reason, my ActiveSync for Gmail wouldn't work at all anymore. Kept updating forever and I never got any mail. Once I deleted the account and re-created it, it worked fine. But keep in mind the first sync it does after creating the account will take the longest.

This also happened when Google messed with my Google account (deleted a blogger blog I had created due to spam). They had me verify my Google account with a pin before I could log back in to Adsense, Analytics, or any of my other services. During that time, my phone wouldn't sync.

Upvote 0
PROBABLE SOLUTION FOUND:

I MIGHT just have discovered the trick to it...

This problems STARTS when i delete a mail from my HTC Mail Application.
From thereon, the ActiveSync goes in a frenzy. As long as I am not deleting anything, its totally fine and the PUSH works without any random Syncs in between.

HOW I DISCOVERED THIS (of course, learnt it the hard way):

1. Configured the ActiveSync to be PUSH
2. Then, I DELETED EVERYTHING on my GMAIL - probably needed to purge my past :).
2. Sent a mail to my GMail account.
3. The mobile device received it perfectly.
4. Did nothing but keep watching the cell screen for random syncing - didn't happen
5. Then, I actually received a stupid marketing email - so obviously, I DELETED it from the cell
6. And suddenly, the Random Syncing began again.
7. So, I logged into GMAIL, saw the inbox had only my own test mail.
8. Went into TRASH, the marketing email was NOT there
9. Went to ALL, there were both the emails there.
10. Now, I selected and re-deleted this email
11. This time around, it went to TRASH
12. Sent myself another TEST Mail.
13. Got PUSHED to the mobile device
14. DID NOT delete it from the mobile device.
15 And VOILA, we probably have a solution

I do not know if this is an error with HTC's Mail Application or GMAIL's way of handling LABELS.

So people struggling with this issue, please try what I did above and see if you can get rid of random syncing.

I suggest moving the emails that you wanna delete right away into some other folder on the HTC Mail App. Then, whenever you get online, delete them from there.

Again, we can only request HTC and Google to sort this out - it was a pity that none of the support teams did anything about this issue.

CG.

EDIT:

After tinkering around more the whole night (instead of sleeping), I found that HTC Mail has issues with GMAIL labels. i installed SMS BACKUP +, which in turn created a label called SMS Backup, it put in some sms there in form of an email and guess what the continuous syncing started again. So, I removed all the LABELS AGAIN, 2 mins. later the random syncing stopped...

which makes me wonder "WTF is going on?" lol

Laters.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones