• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail app TERRIBLE!

i feel really dumb asking this, but how do you copy text out of the body of an email you received? i know how to do it in a text input box, as in text that *i* typed, but when i receive a gmail i don't know how to copy the text (short of replying, and copying it out of the reply email).

Using the physical keyboard, hold the SHIFT key and then drag across the text you want to copy. I don't know how with the virtual keyboard.

Upvote 0
Believe me when I say that I never thought in a million years it would be possible to have a smartphone with a worse mail app than the iphone. Then the Droid came. I mean come on! We can't save pictures, can't batch delete, hell we can't even click most links! Maybe I'm venting a little, but It's kind of embarassing when your a company's web apps work better than their natively installed apps that come pre-installed on a phone whose OS you developed! Sheesh!

It always amazes me on the how they/inventors/designers/motorola come to the decision of what a cell phone can do or not do. WHAT were they thinking.

Upvote 0
:thinking:

You've done this for the body of an email you received?

Yes, thats exactly how you do it.. Make sure you keep the shift key pressed the whole time (it's the one that looks like an up arrow with a line over it). Your selection will highlight as you drag your finger over it. Once you lift your finger you will see a brief message that says "text copied to clipboard" or something to that effect.

Upvote 0
Yes, thats exactly how you do it.. Make sure you keep the shift key pressed the whole time (it's the one that looks like an up arrow with a line over it). Your selection will highlight as you drag your finger over it. Once you lift your finger you will see a brief message that says "text copied to clipboard" or something to that effect.

I'm not able to select text within an email I've received. I can't move the cursor there.

I'm only able to highlight text that I type.

Edit: OK, I figured it out, I was doing it wrong. :)

Upvote 0

YTMND! That was driving me nuts, I didn't realize it was a combo of shift + finger - I was trying shift + arrows, or just dragging my finger.

That worked, thank you!

Upvote 0
I sent myself an email with a JPG in the body, and JPG, DOC, XLS and PDF attachments. As others have said, the ability to download is limited by the type of file. My experience with links have been the same as others (that is, somewhat spotty, but generally okay).

JPG in the body (inserted image with Outlook 2003)
Gmail app: can't view or save
Gmail web app: can view and save

JPG attachment
Gmail app: can download and preview
Gmail web app: can download and preview

DOC, XLS and PDF files
Gmail app: can only preview
Gmail web app: can download and preview

My workaround for the Gmail app is Documents to Go (full). When I preview using Documents to Go, I can *then* save the files. I haven't tried K-9, but I understand that many think it is a nice alternative to the stock mail apps.

I agree with others that this functionality needs to be added to the core Gmail app.

I gave tried to save a jpg. from an attachment from one email and it would work great(I have download crutch and dont know if that is why it works) then tried to save another jpg. from a different email(different pic) and it won't save, only opens into the picture viewer, and sometimes causes a force close when trying to open.

Upvote 0
Have you guys notice that when you reply / forward using gmail, it deletes history of emails? the msg will get cut of and shows ........ at the end of the tread. Any way to fix this? I tend to reply / forward a lot and never had this issue with BB...any help?

I have have this problem too, also if your trying to forward the email because of the attachment on it, the program will only sent the text and completely remove the attachment. Has anyone figured a work around other then using the web based email?

Upvote 0
I have have this problem too, also if your trying to forward the email because of the attachment on it, the program will only sent the text and completely remove the attachment. Has anyone figured a work around other then using the web based email?

I have been posting about the truncation problem since June. No one cares enough to respond or be able to help. It is a HUGE problem.

Upvote 0
If it is web-based, it isn't an app???
I'm not sure that I understand your question.

What folks have said is that they often use Gmail through the browser to address some of the shortcomings of the core app (like truncation and the viewing of some attachments). This is a workaround, not a fix.

Also, no other service can offer PUSH gmail, is that correct?
I don't know what every other service can do, but I suspect that, yes, no other service can offer push Gmail.

How does Google not care about this? Does it affect EVERYONE or no?
I'm sure that Google cares about this, but I'm not sure that they would see all of the things that we've been talking about as shortcomings. Truncation is coded into the application. I don't know if everyone is affected, but I suspect that this is the case. I know that they read these threads and pay attention to what folks are looking for.

Not to highjack the thread, but I've often wondered how Google could have shipped Android without the capability to play animated GIF files. This has been around since Netscape Navigator 2.0...

Upvote 0
I'm not sure that I understand your question.

What folks have said is that they often use Gmail through the browser to address some of the shortcomings of the core app (like truncation and the viewing of some attachments). This is a workaround, not a fix.

I don't know what every other service can do, but I suspect that, yes, no other service can offer push Gmail.

I'm sure that Google cares about this, but I'm not sure that they would see all of the things that we've been talking about as shortcomings. Truncation is coded into the application. I don't know if everyone is affected, but I suspect that this is the case. I know that they read these threads and pay attention to what folks are looking for.

Not to highjack the thread, but I've often wondered how Google could have shipped Android without the capability to play animated GIF files. This has been around since Netscape Navigator 2.0...

The thing that bothers me is that you cant REPLY to an e-mail. That is asinine to me. Forwarding is one thing, but you cant REPLY TO EMAILS. How is this not getting fixed?

Upvote 0
The thing that bothers me is that you cant REPLY to an e-mail. That is asinine to me. Forwarding is one thing, but you cant REPLY TO EMAILS. How is this not getting fixed?
I'm sorry, but I still don't follow. Do you mean that you can't reply to emails that have been truncated?

I can reply to emails within a thread by clicking on the sender's name of any email within a thread (which expands that message) thereby exposing the "reply to" function.

I would be happy to try to help you out, but need to know more about the problem that you're having.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but I still don't follow. Do you mean that you can't reply to emails that have been truncated?

I can reply to emails within a thread by clicking on the sender's name of any email within a thread (which expands that message) thereby exposing the "reply to" function.

I would be happy to try to help you out, but need to know more about the problem that you're having.

No. I technically CAN reply to an e-mail (or forward it) but then it truncates the message. That means no one can reference anything in the quoted text except like the first five or six lines (including the headers). It is absolutely insane.

Upvote 0
No. I technically CAN reply to an e-mail (or forward it) but then it truncates the message. That means no one can reference anything in the quoted text except like the first five or six lines (including the headers). It is absolutely insane.
Got it, thanks.

I don't know that anyone has found a way around this problem (although I believe that the web-based app is better than the core app with this).

Upvote 0
Maybe we are just miscommunicating or I'm playing the semantics game, but there isn't a "web-based app". It is either the "web" (as in through the browser) or in the "app"... no?

OK, I see what you're saying. When I say web app, I mean going to mail.google.com with the Droid's browser (I use Dolphin.) In fact, I had to do it this way in order to see the link to this thread (ironically driving home the point of the thread in the process.)

Upvote 0
I've had no issue with using the e-mail application on Android - with one exception: You can't send attachments unless they are graphic files.

You can't open attachments or save them to the SD card either (from the phone). So you have to that from a PC.

But I did find a new application (released within the last week?) that allows you to send any kind of attachment from the Android. It's called "Gravel Mail".

It costs money but I think it's worth it.

Just search for "Gravel Mail" on the android market.

Cheers,

Richard Schilling

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones