• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Editions Announced

hamacting

Apr 21, 2010
I used to love mobipocket, but a combination of Amazon's unwillingness to release new versions of the code, and increasing regional restrictions on book sales have left me unwilling to use it.

In truth, they've made it harder to buy a book than it is to obtain a pirated version...

So, maybe Google Editions will bring us a useful, open standard for ebooks - we can but hope!

BBC News - Google enters digital books war with launch of Editions

regards,
/alan

That does sound interesting! ... I use the official eReader application on my Desire (with pdb formatted books) and I agree that trying to buy e-books in the UK from the main online retailers is becoming almost impossible due to the geographical restrictions!

I've even been prevented from downloading many already purchased books from my online bookshelves as these restrictions have been applied retrospectively!

Upvote 0
I've even been prevented from downloading many already purchased books from my online bookshelves as these restrictions have been applied retrospectively!

That is totally outrageous... does the seller have any UK presence? I'd be thinking about taking them to the Small Claims Court over that... If for no other reason than to point out to them that you object to being screwed around like that...

regards,
/alan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones