• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps force close issue..

I posted this as a response to another thread but thought I would post here so others may see it that weren't subscribed to that thread and having issues. Please feel free to post if this helped anyone or not and discuss:

I've been running BB v0.4 since it came out and have never had an issue w/Google Maps... until yesterday. It happened when I was an hour or so away from home and tried to launch Maps to navigate to a location nearby. I noticed that it would launch, tried to draw map where it was last and as soon as GPS enabled and it attempted to place my current location it would force close. I tried several times and it was the same thing each time. Reboots and battery pulls didn't seem to do a single thing to help. When I returned home (closer to where maps had me last) it loaded just fine w/o any other changes.

So, as a possible fix for those having issues... try disabling GPS so that Google Maps uses the cell phone tower triangulation method to get your location close. Then enable GPS and see if that helps. I didn't have an opportunity to test this myself since it appears to be fine now but it's worth a shot if you're having issues.

It could also have something to do with the fact that Google Market was also down and it was a Google issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones