• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Now - "Time to leave for..." comes too late

If you have a location specified in a calendar event, Google Now can remind you when it's time to leave, using a standard Android notification, taking travel time and traffic into account based on your current location. This is independent of any reminders set or visible within the Calendar app.

These reminders typically are delivered 10-15 minutes before the actual time you should leave (again, based on your current location and the location of the event). Since the most recent update, these reminders have been coming too late (e.g. at 5:00pm I was reminded to leave for a 4:45pm appointment).

I tried restoring the previous version of the app (without first removing updates, in an attempt to preserve my app data) using System Panel, but that failed for some reason.

Upvote 0
This problem mysteriously disappeared at some point, but has reappeared in the past 2-3 weeks. Most recently, Google Now reminded me at 5:09pm to leave by 4:50pm to arrive for a 5:00pm appointment. If I open Google Search after noticing that a reminder hasn't come (but should have), but before an appointment, the appointment is clearly displayed, telling me when I should leave, or "leave now" if I should have left already.

This is really a great feature (when it works). Am I really the only one using it, or experiencing this issue?

Upvote 0
@UncleMike

I have been scouring the internet looking for some information on this issue. Its perplexing that more people have no run into this issue, and that Google is not more interested in trying to resolve such an annoying problem!

I have my work schedule in putted into my calendar, including address information. (M - F 8:30 to 4:30) Previously, I was receiving a notification about 30 minutes before work starts to let me know I need to leave to arrive on time. This was done automatically by Google Now.

For the past month or so, I have been receiving my notifications late (see screenshot here: imgur.com/DkoPP1B ). From the way i understand it, I should be able to get my reminder about when to leave ~30min (depending on traffic) before my appointment begins, which is at 8:30pm.

So far I've tried:

- uninstalling updates for Google Now & reinstalling app from Play Store
- deleting data from Application Manager for Google Now
- clearing cache from Application Manager for Google Now
- verified both Samsung Calendar (S Calendar) and my S4 both have correct time/date settings. Both are correct, S4 is set to automatically update timezone / date.
- went through the Google Now -> Magic Wand Button (Customize Google Now) and changed all my 'Everything Else' answers to 'No', then went through and changed them all to 'Yes' again. (Yes, track work, etc)

Waiting another 24 hours to see if Google Now can get fixed based on the latest changes I made.

Any help would be awesome. Super frustrating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones