• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

got 2.2, now phone sucks...

I'm back with this problem again! I have a MT3G Fender, which I successfully reverted back to 1.6 using the method above (reformat to fat32, download the file, etc).

BUT! I must have accidentally hit "install now" when the pop-up came up in my pocket or something, I have no idea. I just turned on my phone (I didn't remember shutting it off) and it started downloading the update.

What happens: the green MyTouch screen shows, then it goes to a black screen with a loading bar and an image of a box. I've taken the battery out of my hone to stop it from updating any further, hoping that the update would time out or something. After waiting two and a half hours, I put the battery back in and powered up; it was still trying to update.

What can I do?! I really want to stop the update; I have so much on there that I don't want to lose when I revert it back to 1.6 (last time I lost my contacts and apps)!

Please, if anyone knows how to force it to stop the update, let me know!! :(

Upvote 0
If you have a card reader, reformat with your computer. That's what I did, just put in the card and did a 'quick format' (FAT32).

Thanks to silvers and ZeNmAc, I was able to reformat my SD card and install the sappmig.zip file. My Fender is now back to crisp and responsive v1.6 and for what I want it for (wifi only use for uLoops music app) it's close to perfect.

I would like to know how to disable the "Install Update" pop ups that I've seen twice in about an hour. If T-Mo or some other resource could get rid of that Froyo OTA message (which fried my phone to begin with) then it would be 100% perfect.

Upvote 0
My phone just updated in my pocket :mad:. I don't see why Tmobile shouldn't stop trying to stuff that update down our throats. It's the least they could do. Maybe it's some malicious marketing stunt to get everyone to buy new phones.

Oh well, reinstall 1.6 again I guess. Anyone know if it's safe to root once it's back into 1.6?

Upvote 0
Hey for those of you still using this phone and avoiding the update, if you want it to stop bugging you go to Settings > Applications > System Updater and hit Force Stop. You will now no longer be prompted to update until you restart the phone. You can also clear the data and it will grey out the update button until it downloads it again lol (somewhat useful if you don't have a data plan). Just ran into this, hope this helps someone.

Upvote 0
I was able to :
1. Reformat SD card to Fat32
2. Download this file, rename it to sappimg.zip, and put it on the root of your SD card.
3. Turn the phone off. Boot it by holding volume down+power.
4. Your phone will enter hboot mode, will do a file check on the sappimg.zip, then ask if you want to continue. Press the trackball to continue.

in step 4, it looks for a few other files that it does not find, gives error messages
file not found). The files it's looking for are image files...until it looks for sappimg.zip, that it finds. It doesn't ask for continue, it does continue automatically. Then i do see the one bar loading in the upper right-hand corner until the end. But after that it gives me an error "update failed" and asks if i want to reboot.

I did this twice... what am i doing wrong?
Needless to say, when i reboot, i am with android 2.2.1 again...
please help.

Upvote 0
Hey for those of you still using this phone and avoiding the update, if you want it to stop bugging you go to Settings > Applications > System Updater and hit Force Stop. You will now no longer be prompted to update until you restart the phone. You can also clear the data and it will grey out the update button until it downloads it again lol (somewhat useful if you don't have a data plan). Just ran into this, hope this helps someone.

Update to solution:

A few weeks ago I was typing a note to myself when the update button came up right where I was about to press. As soon as I pressed the update button I ripped out the battery as fast as I could.

Oddly enough, I haven't been prompted to update since. As far as I can tell everything has been working fine. :D

Upvote 0
LOL...I guess if it didnt help you it won't help anyone? btw I found to get mms working if it goes awol; all you have to do is fix the apn settings. I found it airly easy on google

Im using th HTC MyTouch3G, and upgraged same slow issue, when i try to i saw your block and tried , but i got error no img/wrong img when i download the folder in link and tried.
please give a link for sappimg.zip

Regards
Raja N D

Upvote 0
OMFG No! Factory Reset will do nothing! Stop suggesting it! No matter how many you do 2.2.1 is NOT a good fit for this phone!

Yes you can take it back to 1.6. I did it this afternoon. No root needed...

2. Download , rename it to sappimg.zip, and put it on the root of your SD card.

4. Your phone will enter hboot mode, will do a file check on the sappimg.zip, then ask if you want to continue. Press the trackball to continue.

5. You'll see a few bars loading in the upper right-hand corner. After everything is done, it will ask you to press "Action" to reboot (again, press the trackball to confirm).

6. The phone boots to the Google activation screen.

7. Congrats you should now be back in 1.6...

Your phone will now prompt you to update pretty much every hour...

the link is broken! SOMEONE PLEASE help me find that rom. MEGAUPLOAD is no more. please please please help me find a new one, everywhere i search it's the same broken link. OR if you could please tell me the name of the file and i'll search for it. I'm looking to downgrade a Mytouch 3g fender.

Upvote 0
the link is broken! SOMEONE PLEASE help me find that rom. MEGAUPLOAD is no more. please please please help me find a new one, everywhere i search it's the same broken link. OR if you could please tell me the name of the file and i'll search for it. I'm looking to downgrade a Mytouch 3g fender.

I have it but it's 60MB which is too big to upload here :(.

Upvote 0
Guys,

We have a perfectly good private message system here! Use it when you want to trade things like email addresses and facebook profiles. It works really well, I use it every day. There's no doubt that a posted email address in any forum will get scraped and stuffed full of spam eventually.

I thought about saying something, thanks for catching that. I suppose the last few posts should've been PM's :eek:.

tried booting it, but it said it was wrong image?
help?
is there a faster way of contacting you?
<<<<removed for privacy>>>>
thats my fb
maybe we can chat there?

Really? Did you follow these instructions?

2. Download , rename it to sappimg.zip, and put it on the root of your SD card.

5. You'll see a few bars loading in the upper right-hand corner. After everything is done, it will ask you to press "Action" to reboot (again, press the trackball to confirm).

6. The phone boots to the Google activation screen.

7. Congrats you should now be back in 1.6...

Your phone will now prompt you to update pretty much every hour...

Sry its been a while since I did it.

Is yours on 2.2 right now?

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones