• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got it and I'm happy, very happy...so far

atrain311

Android Expert
Jul 1, 2010
Queensbury, NY
As I posted in another thread, I only have had my device since 10/23 evening at about 5:00, so that is not a lot of time. However, so far I'm really impressed.

The software is just a breath of fresh air and it is lightning fast.

Controls are where they should be and it is SO LIGHT, at least it appears to be compared to the Note 4 and S7 Edge that I've been used to (please note I don't have a case on it so it is conceivable it just FEELS light since it is not bogged down with a thick case)

The battery is just SO great compared to what I am used to. This morning, it actually stayed on 100% for more than 5 seconds like on my S7 Edge. I can't wait to see what it can really do.

The screen... Yes, I would be lying if I said there was no blue hue. BUT... I swear it just isn't noticeable or just doesn't bother me. When we watch all those YouTube videos, we are often seeing it right next to another unit. In real life, it's just the phone in your hand and unless I try, I don't really see it. Or, I do and it just doesn't bother me, I guess. The text is super crisp, the keyboard is fantastic and accurate for swiping. And I really like the more realistic colors as I always put my televisions to THEATER mode for a more realistic color experience anyway.

Now, if burn-in is indeed a problem and my unit gets it, I will be upset and will obviously complain. That would be a serious problem and one that shouldn't exist. I will keep my eyes out for it and go from there.

But for now, I'm REALLY happy and my 11 year old, who has proven herself very responsible with my old Note 3 for the last 2 years is tickled pink to have my former S7 Edge so we are all happy. I can't wait to get actual on-time updates and I pray the screen doesn't suffer real problems. I'm a happy guy this morning.

It's great to hear that you're enjoying your XL! There's a lot of doom and gloom from the tech press; a real first-impression post like yours is very refreshing!

When we watch all those YouTube videos, we are often seeing it right next to another unit. In real life, it's just the phone in your hand and unless I try, I don't really see it.

This is so true. It's easier to spot differences when the displays are shown side-by-side (doubly so when the differences are the entire point of the photo or video), but those minor flaws tend to disappear when you're actually using the device.

Reactions: atrain311
Upvote 0
It's great to hear that you're enjoying your XL! There's a lot of doom and gloom from the tech press; a real first-impression post like yours is very refreshing!

This is so true. It's easier to spot differences when the displays are shown side-by-side (doubly so when the differences are the entire point of the photo or video), but those minor flaws tend to disappear when you're actually using the device.

Granted, I'm at work (teacher) so I'm only able to play with my new toy when I can, but I'm running it through a normal day's paces (at the very least) and it is as smooth as silk and the battery life has been such treat compared to my S7 Edge.

Upvote 0
I agree with atrain!

Have had the black 128 for 6 days. I cancelled my order online and picked one up at my local store. Lost out on the Google home that way, but I saw they had one in stock and headed that way.

Yes. White screens color shift when tilted. No.. Hasn't bugged me in the least while using it.

I have a hard time with people saying that it's natural colors are muted... Samsung ups the contrast and saturation on their displays, and Apple increases the warmth. If you choose to do so on the pictures here it is very easy, but you get the choice!

The camera so far is great, fast, and superb in low light. Settings for past process are easy and quick and it has light room type sliders for multiple settings.

The battery. Wow. Best I've ever used.

Headphone jack.... I travel, and have had it on a couple flights so far... I love my qc 20 buds to much to give em up, so the adapter just is part of the headset, not the phone. Right now is the first time I've wanted to charge and listen at the same time, as I'm sitting in an airport and wanted to be 100 percent before the flight. Kinda a bummer, but it's almost charged up now. (Oh yeah.. And it's loud enough, unlike my last couple of Motorola's for which I had to get apps to increase volume)

Ambient music listening thingy. Turned it on to see how it worked. I'm impressed. It identifies the songs coming from the bar in a noisy airport and even got the boarding music on my last flight.... It's pretty cool.

Front speakers... So strange noise or clicking sounds. Could be a tad louder, but pretty good.

I was nervous with all the press about the display, but figured if I hated it I would just take it back. I have no plans to take it back for now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones