• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS issues?

Yup. I know it comes with xxjf3, that's why I said re flash - using the same firmware.

I gave my local place a call though. They're not aware of any issues with the gps, and they don't have any firmware, not even the current one to re flash
Now why does that not surprise me.....

Looks like it's going to be same ole, same ole... do it yourself but suffer the consequences if you do.

Upvote 0
I've tried out actual navigation with the SGS for the first time. I used the Navigon app and let it guide me in familiar territory so I could notice if anything wasn't optimal.

I had two minor issues.

1. Just when I started leaving the GPS connection dropped for about 15 seconds. It came back automatically while I was driving though and started guiding me right away.
2. When I was going on a minor freeway (so to speak, not sure how to phrase it better) it thought I went into a 20m long dead end road that lied close and parallel to the one I was travelling on. It corrected itself after 3-4 seconds.

Those two hiccups aside everything went smoothly and showed correctly on the screen. Other than the lost signal I don't expect a phone GPS to perform better than it did so I wouldn't say I have any problems with it.

Upvote 0
Hey Beards,

Mine has just been sent back to where I got it from.

See what I get sent in return.

Troubling thing is, if some people have legitimately got XXJF5, then this is a problem, because Samsung don't even acknowledge that firmware.

Anyone got a CEO contact at Samsung?

I also had a response from Samsung about my issues advising - to use GPS, go to Applications and Launch Maps.

That's it. Grrr.

Cya
Simon

Upvote 0
Hey Beards,

Mine has just been sent back to where I got it from.

See what I get sent in return.

Troubling thing is, if some people have legitimately got XXJF5, then this is a problem, because Samsung don't even acknowledge that firmware.

Anyone got a CEO contact at Samsung?

I also had a response from Samsung about my issues advising - to use GPS, go to Applications and Launch Maps.

That's it. Grrr.

Cya
Simon
Simon,
Did you get yours from Clove?

I've been thinking of contacting Chris Love at Clove and asking him what version the latest batch of SGS are.
If they are indeed JF5 then I'll be returning mine as well.

However, what is confusing is in what Samsung are saying to you in that they do not have any other firmware updates beyond JF3.
I have to say I do agree with this as I have not heard of any updates coming from Samsung either.
This makes it all the more confusing especially seeing as member forza2020 has the later JF5.

My only answer to this is forza2020's SGS would have come from the carrier Virgin which had a different set up to those coming from SIM Free models.

It could be the SIM Free models such as yours, mine and many others have the lower JF3 and carrier models the higher and later JF5.

Regardless, we do need to know from Samsung what versions are currently officially out there.

Upvote 0
I've just been on the phone to Orange - they are sending me a new SGS, as my GPS has conked out at as well. It appeared to work yesterday (struttering down the motorway as I went), but i was stood in the conservatory today, and both Orange Maps, and Google Maps wouldn't pick up a signal. Only got the phone last Wednesday, so it's within the 7 day free replacement window they offer.

Just in response to Beards comment, mine was a carrier provided phone and it's a JF3 baseband. Saying that, the only Orange branding on it was a sticker on the box & the Orange maps app.

Upvote 0
Simon,
Did you get yours from Clove?

I've been thinking of contacting Chris Love at Clove and asking him what version the latest batch of SGS are.
If they are indeed JF5 then I'll be returning mine as well.

However, what is confusing is in what Samsung are saying to you in that they do not have any other firmware updates beyond JF3.
I have to say I do agree with this as I have not heard of any updates coming from Samsung either.
This makes it all the more confusing especially seeing as member forza2020 has the later JF5.

My only answer to this is forza2020's SGS would have come from the carrier Virgin which had a different set up to those coming from SIM Free models.

It could be the SIM Free models such as yours, mine and many others have the lower JF3 and carrier models the higher and later JF5.

Regardless, we do need to know from Samsung what versions are currently officially out there.

A couple of points which may or not be relevant re my JF5 from Virgin...

The phone was due to be in stock at Virgin a week before it actually was, and there were TWO security stickers on the box.

Upvote 0
A couple of points which may or not be relevant re my JF5 from Virgin...

The phone was due to be in stock at Virgin a week before it actually was, and there were TWO security stickers on the box.
Apologies but how would that effect the question?

All phones were late at launch and two stickers... I don't understand where you are coming with this sorry.

Upvote 0
Yes Beards, I ordered from Clove. They've received it and tested it and report no problems, correctly calculating their location in the office.

I've just gone back and said, Ok, have you used anything other than Google Maps to test? have you used the LBS test program, or a GPS Tester, have you taken it around the block using MyTracks or CardioTrainer???

I suspect they haven't.

Also they've tested the GPS to another Galaxy S and can see no discernable differences.

What to do. Accept a phone I think is faulty and spend six months without GPS while Samsung get their finger out, like I did with the N97? Or shall I just accept a refund and wait six months. I have a slow phone, but at least it works.

I'll never buy a phone so close to release again. I'll wait at least a month or two.

Upvote 0
If you guys are interested, I've just gotten mine from T-Mobile UK (not 'officially' out yet with them I believe).

The phone has the (very light) customisations they do (bookmarks in the browser and some app for topping up credit or something). I haven't checked if it's actually locked to T-Mobile yet.

Anyway, running baseband XXJF3. For the record the GPS has been working fine so far, unlike my Galaxy Spica that constantly thought I was in Coventry.

Upvote 0
Yes Beards, I ordered from Clove. They've received it and tested it and report no problems, correctly calculating their location in the office.

I've just gone back and said, Ok, have you used anything other than Google Maps to test? have you used the LBS test program, or a GPS Tester, have you taken it around the block using MyTracks or CardioTrainer???

I suspect they haven't.

Also they've tested the GPS to another Galaxy S and can see no discernable differences.

What to do. Accept a phone I think is faulty and spend six months without GPS while Samsung get their finger out, like I did with the N97? Or shall I just accept a refund and wait six months. I have a slow phone, but at least it works.

I'll never buy a phone so close to release again. I'll wait at least a month or two.
Thanks Simon,
It's my guess all they did was switch it on... wait for the GPS signal to pop up and as soon as it jumped to their location that was it.

See what kind of response you get to your question of GPS Test etc before making a decision....
Then you have a choice:-
1. Return it for a refund.
2. Keep it and wait for Froyo to pop up and hope it clears the problem.
3. Update to JF5

If it were me I'd be inclined to keep it and wait til Froyo and if that did not fix it I would then update to a later JF version..... but then GPS is not paramount to my daily needs as I have a built in Sat Nav system in my car and I use maps when out walking..... having the phone with GPS is great for me but where it is more useful is in secondary subjects such as Layar where the reality view is way, way out due to my location jumping all over the place.

However, what confuses me is this business of JF5 on some phones but not on all.

I can't work out how one member has JF5 as standard out of the box but the remainder report JF3?
That's where I would like to get to the bottom of first. :)

Upvote 0
You're assuming that the one single solitary user who has JF5 isn't telling porkies.

Im getting a bit worried though. 24hours later, and no response. Hmmm.

Cya
Simon
Nothing to do with porkies Simon, more a case of it's strange where we only see a single member with JF5 so how has it happened?
Re Clove not getting back ~ try again, I believe some staff may not be parent due to the holiday period.

I sent them a message a couple off days back and haven't heard anything either.

Upvote 0

I suspect they haven't.

Simon,
I've just received a reply to my message sent to them earlier on this.
They have told me yes, they have your machine and after carrying out initial checks and hearing from you they are now going to carry out further tests.

Additionally, it is their intention to compare the device to new stock of the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 which they have arriving Monday/Tuesday next week.
A request has been made for the Samsung Wave/Galaxy S i9000 support team to contact them regarding this matter. They intend to keep me updated on the developments.

Upvote 0
And at 57 years old and a Senior Consultant Surgeon I would never suggest anything untoward. :)

If you can provide any additional information it would be appreciated.

I looked into doing a

screenshot to prove it, but it seems that avenue is not available yet on un- rooted phones.

I did a Google search, and it seems I'm not the only one with this Baseband version. Some have 1 and 2 also.

My Kernel version is 2.6.29
root@SE-S603#2

Firmware update 2.1 -update1

If this helps?

Upvote 0
It definitely says on my phone...

Baseband version I9000XXJ5

Am I going mad?

Only other thing I can add is that I did a Factory Reset after Ashpalt Plus, or whatever it's called, caused my phone to lock up completely.

Anyway, loving the SGS.

x

Missed out the F, pedants :)

That'll be I9000XXJF5.

What have I done?

Anyway, love to all.

What happened to myPlayer?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones