• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS reliability without cell service?

Hello!

Looking for folks with experience on this. I have an S3. Wife has brand new HTC something-or-another (forget the model). We're headed to 9000 ft of elevation in Colorado next week.

GPS on my S3 is GREAT ... with cell service backing it up of course. I've never had the opportunity to mess with the GPS in an area with no cell service. We will be WAY outside of any cell service next week.

All I'm looking for is to obtain good Latitude and Longitude coordinates for my telescope. I already have a couple of apps for this. I won't be needing this for hiking or tracking or mapping or anything. We will be under a wide open sky. No trees. No obstructions.

How good is the GPS for this? Reliable? Or should I go ahead and fork out a small amount for a little handheld Garmin?

Thanks!

Nice. I like that app. It's showing me the same numbers as other apps. I think I'm gonna be fine with the GPS (for all I'm using it for). I'm getting a strong signal. I'm inside a data center and sitting in between rows of servers racked 42U high. I'm testing this by sticking my phone in airplane mode (to disable cell functions) and then enabling GPS.

Any others have any knowledge to share?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Swipe the screen on GPS Status and you can mark the location.

If the initial assistance data becomes too stale out in the boonies, put it in GPS acquisition and wait.

It ought to still lock within a half hour on its own.

You can reset the assistance data, stay in airplane mode and test that for yourself.

Drop me a line if you're interested in some lanthanum eyepieces.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones